Teens with lots of low thyroid signs, low temp, high pulse & salt shoots it up to the 90s. any ideas?

yerrag

Evidently, the KardiaMobile can also hook up to a tablet. Older ipads which are compatible with the device are available on ebay for around $50 US. I might buy a tablet just so I can used the Kardiamobile app. This device does not require a subscription. If you want your personal sawbones to see results. you save them to memory. Don't know how accurate they are, of course, but I have had an ECG so there is at least one baseline to compare.
Let us know how well you like it once you have the chance to get it going. It's the first device of its kind and has been around for at least 5 years. I hope it can compute the QTc, so that you won't have to compute it yourself, which would be a pain in the neck. I once tried doing that off the printout of an ECG. Not something I would call fun.

yerrag

I once had a HBP incident that was off the scale on my home monitor so went to the emergency room. They did an ECT. Pulse 140, QT = 372, QTc = 497. Diagnosis: Sinus Tachycardia. Let me go two hours later after BP came down naturally. Nothing was said to me then by the ER doc, or my regular doc later, about what seems to me to be an unusually long QTc. So far as I know I don't have one of those long-QTc inherited genetic diseases (probably be dead by now if i did), and it ain't meds since i'm not on any - except I had taken a dose of Bupleurum earlier that day, to which I credit the tachycardia.

Since that time I learned the long interval could be the result of hypothyroidism. Yet a QTc of 497 seems very long even for that, acc'd to what few articles I've been able to locate. My Achilles reflex is not floppy-foot but neither is it molasses, somewhere in between. I seem to be very sensitive to Cynomel or Cynoplus, small shavings - a few mcg - can get me all a-jitter, edgy, speedy. Maybe micro-dosing is the wrong approach?

Considering getting the Karidamobile device, so I will be able to gauge more finely than with the Achilles test what effect thyroid supplementation has on me.
It's interesting that the value of QT at 372 took a wild swing to a QTc value of 497 with the tachycardia at 140 bpm.

In that acute situation though, it could be that anyone can be technically hypothyroid. But that situation isn't indicative of what your usual condition is. So it would really very helpful for you to have a device to measure your usual QTc.

The bupleurum is a TCM herb, isn't it? I might have taken that also, as it rings a bell, but it was part of an herbal mixture. Here is a TCM page on it, which cautions against taking it by itself continually: Chai Hu - 柴胡 - Radix Bupleuri - Chinese Herbs - American Dragon - Dr Joel Penner OMD, LAc

I've collected a few tools myself over the years, and I find that it really helps to gauge my own status health-wise, when taking blood tests would prove too expensive. But instead of just being a stand-in, I've come to rely more and more on them. And I have also come to rely on myself more, than on a doctor, as it has come to a point for me where what a doctor says rings hollow to me, when I was taking care of my mom. As I learn more in RPF - from the many nice articles posted by members I'm thankful for having shared them, I've gotten to piece together some jigsaw puzzles, as things start to make sense and gel. This is of course under the main ideas of Ray Peat, whose interviews and newsletters and email advices, together with his books and accumulated body of work, have given me a strong basis to explore further on my own some topics he would just provide a launching pad for further personal study. And certainly, it has helped that I have a major unsolved issue with hypertension, to which I devote a lot of time and attention to fix. Because the problem is so persistent, I have to be equally persistent in digging for answers, and along the way, I pick up a lot of useful information and experiences as well.

I hope the tool serves you well in getting to your goal of optimal health.

K

Kaur Singh

I thought that low thyroid signs + low temp with a high pulse is a sign of high adrenaline, and salt could help bring adrenaline, and therefore the pulse, down.
Yet, salt intake sends her pulse further up.
any insight?

Salt (baking soda included) used to raise my HR and BP too, with even just a few grains.
It also would make me very tired, depressed, and anywhere from a day to three laters, the diarreah would appear.
It would wreck my intestines for days. Salt used to crash me.

I have been working on the general concepts - introducing milk and dairy (Ca), eliminating endotoxin, reducing serotonin, increasing sugar, vitamin Bs, dealing with estrogen/progesterone - and lo and behold, now I can do salt. My body indicated that I needed it at one point. This was even before adding thyroid supplementation.

Kudos for your teen to be addressing these problems now!

Have you tried eating carbs (fruits/sugar) and see what that does to her pulse and temperature?
Peat's article on glucose (there's 2 or 3 on his main site) are helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Elie

Elie

Forum Supporter
A handheld device to measure QTc is available for a relatively cheap price. Unfortunately (for me), it requires a "smart" phone to use and i refuse to own one of the damnable things, as they are perhaps the most tangible marker of when the world tipped over the edge into digital hell.

cool! and thanks for the tip re QT wave

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals