Taurine, Transit Time, Metabolism

managing

Taurine has been touted as "the key to restoring metabolic function".

TAURINE The Key To Restoring Metabolic Function?

Its also the case that Taurine slows down transit time.

Can anybody help me reconcile these two things? Improved metabolism should increase transit time. I have no doubt that the beneficial effects of Taurine come from the increased bile secretion. And increased bile is going to slow things down by being viscous (Viscosity of human bile sampled from the common bile duct. - PubMed - NCBI). But its also highly reactive, so this effect should be short lived.

michael94

After bile acids are created in the liver they undergo changes by bacteria in the colon before being reabsorbed. The bile acids are deconjugated of taurine/glycine then dehydroxylated. It is said that in healthy people nearly all of their bile acids are dehydroxylated. So the slowed transit time likely has something to do with that. What then happens to the taurine/glycine or if it is simply lost in the feces would require more research on my part.

Further reading: The Continuing Importance of Bile Acids in Liver and Intestinal Disease
Also of interest: Bile acids induce energy expenditure by promoting intracellular thyroid hormone activation. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
managing

managing

After bile acids are created in the liver they undergo changes by bacteria in the colon before being reabsorbed. The bile acids are deconjugated of taurine/glycine then dehydroxylated. It is said that in healthy people nearly all of their bile acids are dehydroxylated. So the slowed transit time likely has something to do with that. What then happens to the taurine/glycine or if it is simply lost in the feces would require more research on my part.

Further reading: The Continuing Importance of Bile Acids in Liver and Intestinal Disease
Also of interest: Bile acids induce energy expenditure by promoting intracellular thyroid hormone activation. - PubMed - NCBI
Damn fine answer. Thanks. Look forward to reading those links when I have a moment, so maybe reply further down the line.

superhuman

But what should one do if one gets those effects from Taurine? should one just continue with dosage till the issue is resolved?

OP
managing

managing

But what should one do if one gets those effects from Taurine? should one just continue with dosage till the issue is resolved?
Its funny. I had some of those issues. And then resumed doing it after about a 6 week break. Much better this time. Incidentally, I use much smaller doses than most people report. About 350mg at the beginning of meals. So usually 3x day

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals