TAURINE The Key To Restoring Metabolic Function?

natedawggh

I have been having a great time taking Taurine. At first it disturbed my sleep and gave me intestinal difficulties because it was increasing my bile output by quite a lot. But then I took my copper supplement around the same time I took Taurine, and the excess bile secretion stopped immediately. I thought this was really odd, so I started reading about Taurine's effects on copper and various minerals. It turns out that if you cannot process copper properly, supplemental taurine fixes this issue, and Taurine is very specifically necessary for repairing many liver conditions (I have had elevated Triglycerides for some time) It seems from a Peat point of view that the Taurine does not really eliminate copper, but helps the body utilize it, and I theorize, transport it into cells to make it viable for various enzymatic functions.
http://www.pubfacts.com/detail/19640654 ... nd-healing.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6406&hilit=taurine
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5119&p=59860&hilit=taurine#p59860

Turns out that taurine is also crucial to maintaining proper electrolyte balance, and basically without Taurine your electrolytes go haywire. Dr. Peat's work is often focused on metabolic problems associated with loss of magnesium and the inappropriate excitation of cells by calcium and sodium. Turns out Taruine is magnesium sparing and helps regulate calcium, sodium and potassium too! I can only imagine that if you supplement these minerals while taking Taurine, your health would improve at a more rapid rate as your body would actually be able to hold on to them.
http://www.coem.com/backup03.11.10/envi ... rine.shtml

Hypothyroid/obese/diabetics have naturally very low levels of Taurine. Taurine supplementation helps prevent obesity and complications from diabetes.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23939816
http://www.lef.org/Magazine/2013/6/The- ... ?checked=1

I recently discovered that amino acid ratios in my diet have more potent and longer lasting effects on weight, sleep, libido, etc, and are all even further supported by thyroid supplement. Taking Taurine, Lysine, and Glycine specifically has had very positive improvements in my condition, and now I seem to feel an even better improvement in taking Taurine in addition to various mineral supplements, especially copper and potassium. I also take Zinc, eggshell calcium, and sea salt.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6217

Here is a study that found a direct relation between platelet Taurine level and thyroid status
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/528776

And last but certainly not least, Taurine increases testosterone production and libido in males (and probably has a very similar positive hormone association if females). This I can personally attest to.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23392896

If anyone else has specific experience with Taurine, especially it's relation to copper and liver function and/or other specific health issues, please post about them.

sugar daddy

Sounds like it would be useful for my liver problems

what brand are you taking and how much?

Goat-e

I tried 3g of Taurine nearly a year ago to help with sleep. It didn't seem to have any immediate affect on sleep, but it did on RA. I woke up the next morning and the stiffness in my fingers had reduced by about 80%. I was amazed, tried it again the next night, same result. Did some digging and came across this

http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 012-1361-4

I've been taking 5g at night since then, it stopped working at about month 7 for some unknown reason, I took a break for a few weeks and then went back, and it seems to be working again. It's pretty amazing stuff! I wonder if the effect can be improved by anything else, and going to try combining it with glycine to see what happens.

Peata

natedawggh said:
Taking Taurine, Lysine, and Glycine specifically has had very positive improvements in my condition

Nate, were you taking taurine, lysine and glycine together? No interaction? And are you still taking all three?

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Peata said:
natedawggh said:
Taking Taurine, Lysine, and Glycine specifically has had very positive improvements in my condition

Nate, were you taking taurine, lysine and glycine together? No interaction? And are you still taking all three?

Glycine I don't like taking at all. The synthetic form is strange and it makes me feel weird, and one time I took too much and it made me very nauseous. I do put gelatin in my casein protein shake, however, and have great effects with that.

I took lysine for 3 months but have now tapered myself off it while still using feverfew (which has a similar effect). From having used it for so long I can now tell when I get high serotonin, because a migraine will start to happen, which I can short circuit with feverfew (the migraine will develop if I don't keep my metabolism up with niacinamide, calcium, and proper foods).

I do take Taurine still and love it. I take 1000mg a day in two doses. I found it keeps up my spirits, being useful to increase dopamine. It increases my energy overall and continues to help regrow hair that I had lost (I'm aging backwards!)

PeatMonster

Could it also have something to do with the sulfur content? Taurine is apparently composed of a large portion of sulfur. In this podcast Dr. Garrett Smith talks about an experiment where he took way too much and had some really alarming side effects, but noticed a positive effect on body fat with a smaller dose. http://180radio.com/180degreehealth-18- ... s-dangers/ Sulfur is also commonly for osteoarthritis I believe, but might have some relation to RA? Ray Peat mentions sulfur as a short term treatment here. http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/mu ... osis.shtml

Peata

natedawggh said:
Peata said:
natedawggh said:

Glycine I don't like taking at all. The synthetic form is strange and it makes me feel weird, and one time I took too much and it made me very nauseous. I do put gelatin in my casein protein shake, however, and have great effects with that.

I took lysine for 3 months but have now tapered myself off it while still using feverfew (which has a similar effect). From having used it for so long I can now tell when I get high serotonin, because a migraine will start to happen, which I can short circuit with feverfew (the migraine will develop if I don't keep my metabolism up with niacinamide, calcium, and proper foods).

I do take Taurine still and love it. I take 1000mg a day in two doses. I found it keeps up my spirits, being useful to increase dopamine. It increases my energy overall and continues to help regrow hair that I had lost (I'm aging backwards!)

OK, thanks. I stopped Lysine by just taking one less pill per day this week (was taking it 3 x day) and then when I started Taurine on Fri, I stopped Lysine completely. No withdrawal of any kind.

Glycine hasn't been a problem, no effect that I can tell whatsoever, and I was even afraid to start taking it at first, but now I take a pill of it if I'm having meat. I just wonder if taking Taurine (instead of glycine) around meat would have the same effect of balancing the amino acid. Anyone know?

Vinero

Why did you stop taking the lysine? I have started taking lysine 3 days ago and it feels like it lowers serotonin. Did you quit it because it stopped working?

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Vinero said:
Why did you stop taking the lysine? I have started taking lysine 3 days ago and it feels like it lowers serotonin. Did you quit it because it stopped working?

I quit because it worked while I was taking it, and I was hoping I didn't need it any more, but the other day I drank some milk and I got a terrible migraine and bloating within 12 hours, so I went back on lysine. I just like how I feel on it better, even though at first it seemed to make me tire easily, I have NO depression when i'm on it, NO bloating, and 2 months later I can be active now without getting too tired (though there is a limit).

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Peata said:
natedawggh said:
Peata said:
natedawggh said:

OK, thanks. I stopped Lysine by just taking one less pill per day this week (was taking it 3 x day) and then when I started Taurine on Fri, I stopped Lysine completely. No withdrawal of any kind.

Glycine hasn't been a problem, no effect that I can tell whatsoever, and I was even afraid to start taking it at first, but now I take a pill of it if I'm having meat. I just wonder if taking Taurine (instead of glycine) around meat would have the same effect of balancing the amino acid. Anyone know?

I lied. I'm taking Lysine again (see above post) I just like how I feel better on it than not.

Peata

natedawggh said:
post 92348
Peata said:
natedawggh said:
Peata said:
natedawggh said:

I lied. I'm taking Lysine again (see above post) I just like how I feel better on it than not.

I don't know if you check in, Nate, but I was curious if you use caffeine, and if so, how much?

My taurine experiment never really got off the ground this summer - too much going on and too many other supplements, but I'm using it now, and higher doses to give it a real shot at the benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peata

I think I'm seeing some benefits at 500 mg. x 4. I added 500 mg. glycine with the taurine doses. And that's all I'm supplementing regularly other than caffeine if my coffee consumption is not high enough. I also take Cyproheptadine in divided doses to make 8 mg. day.

The first thing I noticed with taurine is that I haven't had to wake up in the night with glycogen problem since I started taking it. I get a pretty restful night.

I'm also able to stretch out meals to 3 hours between them instead of 2. I guess I feel full longer or don't have the blood sugar dips like I used to. I still get them if I don't eat enough at a meal and go too long, but if I eat properly I don't get them like I used to.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Peata said:
post 118099 I think I'm seeing some benefits at 500 mg. x 4. I added 500 mg. glycine with the taurine doses. And that's all I'm supplementing regularly other than caffeine if my coffee consumption is not high enough. I also take Cyproheptadine in divided doses to make 8 mg. day.

The first thing I noticed with taurine is that I haven't had to wake up in the night with glycogen problem since I started taking it. I get a pretty restful night.

I'm also able to stretch out meals to 3 hours between them instead of 2. I guess I feel full longer or don't have the blood sugar dips like I used to. I still get them if I don't eat enough at a meal and go too long, but if I eat properly I don't get them like I used to.

I don't check in a lot any more.. But I will try to. I've found taurine to be INDESPENSIBLE in my recovery. I average 4000 mg a day in two doses. Apparently (among many positive effects) it helps the body get more mileage out of other protein. I will take it for the rest of my life.

I also found Casein protein before bed to be the missing piece from my diet. 3 days after starting it I lost the chronic pain id been having for years and it has never returned. I take Naked brand Casein because it has absolutely no fillers or additives. It goes a long way for me.

I also use a small amount of lysine daily (500-1000 mg) to depress serotonin. This has also had the effect of restoring my lost hair and it seems to also aid in muscle growth and long term, slow weight loss.

I drink 2-3 Starbucks Venti (red-eye) a day, careful to always have adequate blood sugar and protein with and before coffee. I used cilantro twice daily to chelate a massive amount of iron from my tissues. I also take aspirin, the fat vitamins (especially D), and niacinamide.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

...I do not like supplement glycine. I think the synthetic version isn't safe or healthy. I use gelatin occasionally to get some (but casein has an excellent amino acid balance)

sladerunner69

I support taurine, definitely has helped augment my free testosterone and has resulted in a significant increase in libido. A great addition to any supplement arsenal, especially for guys struggling with low-t or hypothyroid...

jyb

natedawggh said:
post 119116 ...I do not like supplement glycine. I think the synthetic version isn't safe or healthy. I use gelatin occasionally to get some (but casein has an excellent amino acid balance)

Interesting, what leads you to this conclusion about glycine only supplements?

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

jyb said:
post 119252
natedawggh said:
post 119116 ...I do not like supplement glycine. I think the synthetic version isn't safe or healthy. I use gelatin occasionally to get some (but casein has an excellent amino acid balance)

Interesting, what leads you to this conclusion about glycine only supplements?

When I would take it I would get a jittery feeling, as if there was something ******* with my nerve signaling. Once I took too much and felt so sick I almost went to the hospital. I've never had anything like that with lysine or taurine. Plus you can get more than enough glycine from gelatin and it's best to get foods/supps from natural sources to avoid side effects and toxic contaminants.

Peata

...I do not like supplement glycine. I think the synthetic version isn't safe or healthy. I use gelatin occasionally to get some (but casein has an excellent amino acid balance)

I may have you mixed up with someone else, but I thought you said at one time that taking lysine began to reverse the weight loss and stretch mark loss that you experienced on taurine. If that was you, then did it stop having that effect after a while ?

Barry Obummer

Would taurine help warm up my painfully cold hands and feet?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals