Taurine Reverses Thyroid Inhibition Due To Fluoride

haidut

Forum Supporter
As we all know, fluoride exposure is ubiquitous these days. Even if you avoid drinking tap water, eating any kind of commercial food will give you plenty of fluoride as tap water is used everywhere for cost reasons. Fluoride has well-known negative effect on the thyroid but this topic is taboo to bring up in public policy meetings. You may get booed out of the room.
Well, this study does not beat around the bush and states directly that fluoride administration at levels even lower than what humans are regularly exposed to, caused both renal and thyroid damage. Adding taurine in a human equivalent dose of about 15 mg/kg or 30 mg/kg for a period of 45 days reversed that damage, with especially notable effects of the lower dose taurine (15 mg/kg) on restoring levels of T3. The even better news is that the reversal of the damage occurred even in the presence of continued consumption of fluoride.

Taurine Ameliorates Renal Oxidative Damage and Thyroid Dysfunction in Rats Chronically Exposed to Fluoride. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Administration of taurine significantly reversed the fluoride-mediated decrease in absolute weight and organo-somatic index of the kidney in the exposed rats. Taurine significantly prevented fluoride-induced elevation in plasma urea and creatinine levels in the exposed rats. Moreover, taurine restored fluoride-mediated decrease in the circulatory concentrations of triiodothyronine, thyroxine, and the ratio of triiodothyronine to thyroxine. Taurine ameliorated fluoride-mediated decrease in renal antioxidant status by significantly enhancing the antioxidant enzyme activities as well as glutathione level in the exposed rats. Additionally, taurine inhibited fluoride-induced renal oxidative damage by markedly decreasing the hydrogen peroxide and malondialdehyde levels as well as improved the kidney architecture in the treated rats. Collectively, taurine protected against fluoride-induced renal toxicity via enhancement of thyroid gland function, renal antioxidant status, and histology in rats."

What-a-Riot

I wish the the govt/commercial/blog-presence nutrition pushers would make taurine more hip. Unfortunately it's too readily associated with energy drinks which are of course bad because omg caffeine, drug, stimulant (more appropriately antidepressant if you ask me, given its mechanisms, but then what I think should be the primary definition of depression is call atypical depression, plus antidepressant is currently inextricably linked to ssris, sigh) and of course the sugar and b vitamins. Only bodybuilder types recognize them (energy drinks) for what the potions they are, and it's easy to make people discount that input. Anyway, taurine rocks

EDIT

O and haidut, thanks for the reply on the famotidine - carbonic anhydrase thread, appreciate all you contribute

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I wish the the govt/commercial/blog-presence nutrition pushers would make taurine more hip. Unfortunately it's too readily associated with energy drinks which are of course bad because omg caffeine, drug, stimulant (more appropriately antidepressant if you ask me, given its mechanisms, but then what I think should be the primary definition of depression is call atypical depression, plus antidepressant is currently inextricably linked to ssris, sigh) and of course the sugar and b vitamins. Only bodybuilder types recognize them (energy drinks) for what the potions they are, and it's easy to make people discount that input. Anyway, taurine rocks

EDIT

O and haidut, thanks for the reply on the famotidine - carbonic anhydrase thread, appreciate all you contribute

Yeah, taurine and glycine can easily replace 80% of the drugs given for prevention of all kinds of metabolic and inflammatory conditions, which is...all there is. Recent study said glycine is the best and safest anti-inflammatory and taurine is king when it comes to preventing what currently passes for metabolic disease - diabetes II, CVD, high BP, etc, and which affects the majority of people in the world beyond a certain age. I think there is some good research with both going on but sadly the goal is find patented alternatives and there are even calls for FDA limiting the free sale of taurine and glycine as they both may have a status of "new drug", just like biotin for MS and pyridoxamine for kidney failure.

Area-1255

Very interesting stuff, the more I read on Taurine, the more I'm glad I take it. I've done very thorough research on stuff personally, but you guys are bringing a lot of obscure journal entries!

aguilaroja

...this study ...states directly that fluoride administration at levels even lower than what humans are regularly exposed to, caused both renal and thyroid damage. Adding taurine...reversed that damage, with especially notable effects of the lower dose taurine (15 mg/kg) on restoring levels of T3. The even better news is that the reversal of the damage occurred even in the presence of continued consumption of fluoride.

Taurine Ameliorates Renal Oxidative Damage and Thyroid Dysfunction in Rats Chronically Exposed to Fluoride. - PubMed - NCBI

Good one.

A previous article noted that GABA treatment also reduced the hypothyroid state of "fluoridation". Perhaps at least part of the beneficial effect of taurine is by supporting GABA metabolism.

γ-Aminobutyric acid ameliorates fluoride-induced hypothyroidism in male Kunming mice. - PubMed - NCBI
γ-Aminobutyric acid ameliorates fluoride-induced hypothyroidism in male Kunming mice.
Yang H, Xing R, Liu S, Yu H, Li P.
Life Sci. 2016 Feb 1;146:1-7. doi: 10.1016/j.lfs.2015.12.041. Epub 2015 Dec 24.

Another recent article suggested that calcium (carbonate!) intake reduced the bone, liver and kidney damage from fluoride.

The Role of Calcium in Ameliorating the Oxidative Stress of Fluoride in Rats. - PubMed - NCBI
The Role of Calcium in Ameliorating the Oxidative Stress of Fluoride in Rats.
Mohamed NE.
Biol Trace Elem Res. 2016 Mar;170(1):128-44. doi: 10.1007/s12011-015-0421-5. Epub 2015 Jul 23.

Some "science advocates" still lump citizens concerned about fluoride hazards together with flat-earthers and all conspiracy theorists.

The fluoride amount used in the (calcium) experiment was probably more than 20 times the amount in "safe" public drinking water. But this fluoride was administered (to rat subjects) only 3 times per week for sixty days.
The calcium article gives more evidence of fluoride harm:

"The histological examination of the femur bone revealed that fluoride treatment induced thinning of bone trabeculae with wilding of marrow space, demineralization, and loss of trabeculae interconnections. Also, the histological examination of hepatic and renal tissues of fluoride-treated rats showed some damages in these tissues while administration of calcium carbonate for 30 or 60 days during fluoride treatment minimized such damages."

Why did they pick taurine for the experiment?

DrJ

I always thought of fluoride as a minor toxin, but did not realize its full effect. Thanks for posting!

lindsay

We have been avoiding fluoride in the water as much as possible for the past three years. It's unfortunate though, because while we have a chlorine filter for our shower head, but there is still chlorine in bathing water and dish washing water. And we had a water service for about a year, but I wasn't thrilled with it, so my husband broke down and bought this expensive and giant filter for under the sink. It's super convenient and only needs to be changed every 6 months. It also has a remineralizer for the water. For anyone who's interested, here's the one we got. I like it so far - beats Poland Springs deliveries and a mounting pile of 5 gallon water bottles:

Reverse Osmosis Under Counter Water Filter | Brushed Nickel | Aquasana

It's ridiculous the way Fluoride is practically thought to be a good thing. I've actually heard people say that dentists recommend kids with tooth problems drink fluoridated water - how horrible is that!!

P.S. @haidut - I know I've asked you your thoughts on Iodine in a private message, but wouldn't it also be helpful against Fluorine too? Additionally, I was reading about Taurine and discovered it is heavily found in Bile. So I was wondering if taking more of it would improve fat digestion for someone like me who is lacking a gallbladder (I take Ox Bile normally)? I've discovered that I tolerate it dissolved in juice - not on it's own though.

What-a-Riot

Glycine's another one. They're getting their due from people who actively supplement, but they should both have the same earthy folksy sort of associations something like aspirin / alkaseltzer used to have. Taurine protects from so many ubiquitous insults it should be considered negligence that it's therapeutic and preventive usefulness isn't being pushed harder. But then fluoride and PUFA would have to be accepted as harmful. @lindsay given this thread and magnesium's ability to bind / susceptibility to binding by fluoride, I'd think magnesium taurate would be the ultimate anti-fluoride supplement, allowing one to take advantage of the iodine naturally present in the diet without risking overloading by taking overcompensatory doses

lindsay

Glycine's another one. They're getting their due from people who actively supplement, but they should both have the same earthy folksy sort of associations something like aspirin / alkaseltzer used to have. Taurine protects from so many ubiquitous insults it should be considered negligence that it's therapeutic and preventive usefulness isn't being pushed harder. But then fluoride and PUFA would have to be accepted as harmful. @lindsay given this thread and magnesium's ability to bind / susceptibility to binding by fluoride, I'd think magnesium taurate would be the ultimate anti-fluoride supplement, allowing one to take advantage of the iodine naturally present in the diet without risking overloading by taking overcompensatory doses

Is supplementing pure glycine better than eating gelatin though? This is what I keep wondering. If I am better off eating gelatin and getting more balanced amino acids, or just getting a good glycine supplement? I just started taking Taurine again. I had a bad experience with it at first - it made me very nauseous, but taking smaller doses helps.

Regarding magnesium, I'm an avid espresso drinker and got a good espresso machine just so I didn't need a magnesium supplement. The question is, how much magnesium is needed daily? I probably drink 8 - 12 oz. of espresso daily.

About Iodine, I think we should get a good thread going on this forum. I've taken Iodine in high doses this past year and had some pretty great effects from it. And based on my constant sushi cravings and the way my skin soaks up iodine very abruptly when I apply it topically, I'm not convinced what we "normally" get in food is enough. But I have to do more research on it. I really wish Cronometer had a better nutrient list. Things like Taurine, Biotin and Iodine are not even listed in the nutrient profiles.

What-a-Riot

I definitely don't have the answers to these things. My thought is that things like taurine, glycine, magnesium, and most of the b vitamins including biotin have such a wide and safe therapeutic range and are so inexpensive that anyone with any inclination should consider experimenting with them. I have a tempered fanship for the old orthomolecular guys, ya know, neither are popular around here but for myself I like vitamin c and b3 as nicotinic acid (also as niacinamide, I alternate between and sometimes combine the two, b3 really has my favor). I think at the very least the vitamin c megadose trials proved that it doesn't hurt people, and this despite enhancing iron absorption and iron-related oxidation. To me that indicates that it must have some more overarching ability to regulate iron, but who knows? Anyway, glycine is one major functional component of gelatin, but I think I generally consider them separately

lindsay

@What-a-Riot - thanks for your input :): How do you take Vitamin C? I used to take a lot of it years ago. It definitely helped me from getting sick, but most forms of Supplemental Vitamin C are not super awesome.

supernature

"Received: 5 May 2016 /Accepted: 14 June 2016"

A brand new study, quite selective also.
Does that paper mention anything about the halogens and antagonising activity going on there: (F), (Cl), (Br) opposes (I) ?

"Forty adult male Wistar rats (8 weeks old; 128 ± 5 g)"

I guess this is another rat study from pubmed, it seems we should deal with what we got.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
We have been avoiding fluoride in the water as much as possible for the past three years. It's unfortunate though, because while we have a chlorine filter for our shower head, but there is still chlorine in bathing water and dish washing water. And we had a water service for about a year, but I wasn't thrilled with it, so my husband broke down and bought this expensive and giant filter for under the sink. It's super convenient and only needs to be changed every 6 months. It also has a remineralizer for the water. For anyone who's interested, here's the one we got. I like it so far - beats Poland Springs deliveries and a mounting pile of 5 gallon water bottles:

Reverse Osmosis Under Counter Water Filter | Brushed Nickel | Aquasana

It's ridiculous the way Fluoride is practically thought to be a good thing. I've actually heard people say that dentists recommend kids with tooth problems drink fluoridated water - how horrible is that!!

P.S. @haidut - I know I've asked you your thoughts on Iodine in a private message, but wouldn't it also be helpful against Fluorine too? Additionally, I was reading about Taurine and discovered it is heavily found in Bile. So I was wondering if taking more of it would improve fat digestion for someone like me who is lacking a gallbladder (I take Ox Bile normally)? I've discovered that I tolerate it dissolved in juice - not on it's own though.

Yes, I posted a few studies on taurine improving protein and fat utilization. The fat utilization effects have led to some countries approving taurine as add-on for cystic fibrosis as these people often cannot digest fat well. Google "taurine fat cystic fibrosis" for more info.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Why did they pick taurine for the experiment?

They say taurine is shown to have protective effects on kidney in various disease states like diabetes, etc. So, testing its effects on kidneys damages by fluoride makes sense. But they do not mention anywhere expected effects of fluoride on thyroid and don't talk about the thyroid effects of taurine until the results section. Unless there is some hidden connection between kidneys and thyroid (Peat has hinted there is) the discussion on taurine and thyroid kind of seems unrelated to the officially stated goal of the study.

I know! It's crazy how many different combinations of the most random substances have been experimented with.

What-a-Riot

@lindsay i do prefer to get c from produce, juice, and herbs/spices, which also have other antioxidants to spare the c for vitamin c specific functions. So far when I do supplement its just in the pill form you'd get at any grocery store or pharmacy, and I do take it away from iron. Often I'll bring like a bottle of juice or soda, iced tea, lemonade whatever, to work/school and that's a good time for me to take vitamin c or amino acids in relative isolation. For me the golden rule in supplementing is to remember that the average person isn't doing it at all, so to start with my go to phrase is 'any is plenty', so I certainly wouldn't recommend pushing taurine up until its effects even out. To each their own of course