Taurine Protects Against Heavy Metal Toxicity

Dopamine

It looks like taurine protects against cadmium, iron, arsenic, lead, aluminum, mercury and other heavy metals. It has strong anti-oxidant properties I think largely mediated through increasing glutathione and increasing fecal/bile excretion of heavy metals. Taurine also protects against overload/toxicity of more useful metals like zinc and copper so it may be a good idea to supplement taurine if you are supplementing these metals. Many heavy metals are implicated in degenerative disease and cognitive decline. Aluminum for example significantly depletes tau proteins the loss of which are largely implicated in Alzheimer's. So taurine is probaly an umbrella substance protecting against many diseases and slowing down aging seeing as how heavy metal accumulation is involved in the stress and aging processes. I would say that 1-3g is enough to see many of the benefits and to act as preventative.

Haidut posted another thread showing taurine protects against fluoride. So basically taurine is good protection against lots of the metals/industrial contaminants that the government allows in our food/water/air to dumb us down ;)

Cadmium-induced neurological disorders: prophylactic role of taurine. - PubMed - NCBI
Human effective dose ~16mg/kg for 5 days

Arsenic-induced oxidative cerebral disorders: protection by taurine. - PubMed - NCBI

Antioxidant effect of taurine against lead-induced oxidative stress. - PubMed - NCBI
Human effective dose ~178mg/kg for 7 days

Prophylactic and therapeutic effects of taurine against aluminum-induced acute hepatotoxicity in mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Human effective dose ~8mg/kg for 5 days prior to exposure or ~81mg/kg in one dose after exposure

Tashimoto

A study cited at Green MedInfo summarizes:

CONCLUSION: The results have shown that combined caffeine and taurine can boost plasma calcium level and decrease plasma CRP level. Moreover, taurine combined with nifedipine but not furosemide can act synergistically to lower both plasma Ca2+ and CRP levels, a result which may have implication for the treatment of hypertension.

<Combined caffeine and taurine can boost plasma calcium level and decrease plasma CRP level.>

It looks like taurine protects against cadmium, iron, arsenic, lead, aluminum, mercury and other heavy metals. It has strong anti-oxidant properties I think largely mediated through increasing glutathione and increasing fecal/bile excretion of heavy metals. Taurine also protects against overload/toxicity of more useful metals like zinc and copper so it may be a good idea to supplement taurine if you are supplementing these metals. Many heavy metals are implicated in degenerative disease and cognitive decline. Aluminum for example significantly depletes tau proteins the loss of which are largely implicated in Alzheimer's. So taurine is probaly an umbrella substance protecting against many diseases and slowing down aging seeing as how heavy metal accumulation is involved in the stress and aging processes. I would say that 1-3g is enough to see many of the benefits and to act as preventative.

Haidut posted another thread showing taurine protects against fluoride. So basically taurine is good protection against lots of the metals/industrial contaminants that the government allows in our food/water/air to dumb us down ;)

Cadmium-induced neurological disorders: prophylactic role of taurine. - PubMed - NCBI

Arsenic-induced oxidative cerebral disorders: protection by taurine. - PubMed - NCBI

Antioxidant effect of taurine against lead-induced oxidative stress. - PubMed - NCBI
Human effective dose ~178mg/kg for 7 days

Prophylactic and therapeutic effects of taurine against aluminum-induced acute hepatotoxicity in mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Human effective dose ~8mg/kg for 5 days prior to exposure or ~81mg/kg in one dose after exposure
Thanks for posting this. Interesting that Mercury affects the heart as I went to the Cardiologist who sent me to the Psychiatrist. The Dentist later told me it was indeed in my head - the mercury in my almalgams causing heart issues.Ill try the taurine.

Wow, great post! Taurine is the most abundant free amino acid in breast milk, so there you go...
After learning about these heavy-metal protective effects of taurine, I'm starting to think the pros outweigh the cons for long term taurine supplementation... we know RP thinks the free aminos are risky, and I recall reading on here somewhere that taurine supps are almost always contaminated with silica... but heavy metals are way more menacing than silica, and the glutathione probably protects against it anyway.

Again great post:clapping:

Fractality

Thanks for posting this. Interesting that Mercury affects the heart as I went to the Cardiologist who sent me to the Psychiatrist. The Dentist later told me it was indeed in my head - the mercury in my almalgams causing heart issues.Ill try the taurine.

Do you mind disclosing how many amalgam feelings you have/had? I had a couple relatively big ones taken out about a year ago. I still have a couple small ones.

OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

I think even just consuming foods high in taurine like shellfish, liver, dairy etc is enough to receive many of the benefits. Those exposed to higher amounts of heavy metals may want to supplement more or drink a redbull once in a while :thumbsup:

Last edited:

burtlancast

It looks like taurine protects against cadmium, iron, arsenic, lead, aluminum, mercury and other heavy metals. It has strong anti-oxidant properties I think largely mediated through increasing glutathione and increasing fecal/bile excretion of heavy metals.

Just like Vitamin C, Taurine does protect against mercury toxicity.
But just like for Vitamin C, people seem to assume it increases mercury excretion, when in fact there's no evidence of that.

Taurine will improve symptoms of mercury poisoning, but it can't chelate it out of the body.

aguilaroja

...taurine protects against cadmium, iron, arsenic, lead, aluminum, mercury and other heavy metals.... So taurine is probaly an umbrella substance protecting against many diseases ...I would say that 1-3g is enough to see many of the benefits and to act as preventative...

Yes, here is one more piece of evidence. Taurine is shown to be thyroid-protective for toxicity from lead and chlorpyrifos (an organo-phosphate).

Taurine ameliorated thyroid function in rats co-administered with chlorpyrifos and lead. - PubMed - NCBI
“Taurine may be useful for prophylaxis against disruptions in thyroid function in animals that are exposed to environmental chlorpyrifos and lead.”