Taurine Prevents Insulin Resistance Caused By PUFA

haidut

Forum Supporter
Taurine prevented both whole-body and hepatic insulin resistance caused by PUFA ingestion, which makes especially relevant for all people on the forum trying to lose weight through lipolysis while the same time keeping their insulin sensitivity intact.
Human equivalent dose is about 5g daily. The second study below is a human study replicating the results of the animal study using just 3g taurine daily for just 2 weeks.
So, 3g - 5g taurine daily can reverse insulin resistance in humans in as little as 2 weeks.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20855122
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18026714

"...Consistent with the previous study, our study also suggested that IH (polyunsaturated) could cause hepatic insulin resistance. Taurine co-infusion prevented the IH-induced hepatic insulin resistance. In the previous studies taurine was shown to improve whole body or peripheral insulin resistance in rats or human [9–15]. In the present study, not only the whole body insulin resistance, but also the hepatic insulin resistance was prevented by taurine co-infusion. So far as we know, this study is the first to report that taurine is effective in improving FFAs-induced hepatic insulin resistance in vivo."

"...The exact mechanism by which FFAs cause hepatic insulin resistance is not completely understood yet. Acute elevation of plasma FFAs by short-term IH infusion has been shown to induce hepatic insulin resistance and to be associated with oxidative stress in rat liver [23,24]. Taurine was shown to prevent whole body insulin resistance induced by FFAs, association with prevention of oxidative stress in plasma in humans [14]. Concerning the effect of taurine on oxidative stress in liver, there was only one study that taurine reduced oxidative stress in liver of high-fructose-fed rats [27]. Unlike plasma FFA elevation in high-fructose/fat feeding animals, IH infusion makes it possible to observe the effects of FFAs per se in the absence of other diabetes-related metabolite/hormone changes in vivo. In this study, prolonged IH infusion induced oxidative stress both in circulating and in liver, as indicated by elevated plasma 8-isoprostaglandin and increased hepatic MDA respectively. Meanwhile, these markers of oxidative stress were inhibited by co-infusion of taurine. In summary, the co-infusion of taurine has prevented the IH-induced hepatic insulin resistance and elevation of oxidative stress markers. Our study suggested that, acting as an antioxidant, taurine ameliorates hepatic insulin resistance in association with inhibiting oxidative stress in liver, which might be one of the mechanisms of hepatic insulin resistance induced by prolonged IH infusion.... The results of this study suggest the therapeutic value of taurine in protecting from hepatic insulin resistance caused by elevated FFAs."

mamaherrera

wow I so need this. as I have insuline resistance. any side effects known of taking taurine, and what does it do to hormone balance?? I currently take 500 mg so I don't know if you should work it slowly up to such a dose. Wow though and would you have to take it always to maintain levels???

docall18

Taurine prevented both whole-body and hepatic insulin resistance caused by PUFA ingestion, which makes especially relevant for all people on the forum trying to lose weight through lipolysis while the same time keeping their insulin sensitivity intact.
Human equivalent dose is about 5g daily. The second study below is a human study replicating the results of the animal study using just 3g taurine daily for just 2 weeks.
So, 3g - 5g taurine daily can reverse insulin resistance in humans in as little as 2 weeks.

Taurine prevents free fatty acid-induced hepatic insulin resistance in association with inhibiting JNK1 activation and improving insulin signaling ... - PubMed - NCBI
Oral taurine but not N-acetylcysteine ameliorates NEFA-induced impairment in insulin sensitivity and beta cell function in obese and overweight, no... - PubMed - NCBI

"...Consistent with the previous study, our study also suggested that IH (polyunsaturated) could cause hepatic insulin resistance. Taurine co-infusion prevented the IH-induced hepatic insulin resistance. In the previous studies taurine was shown to improve whole body or peripheral insulin resistance in rats or human [9–15]. In the present study, not only the whole body insulin resistance, but also the hepatic insulin resistance was prevented by taurine co-infusion. So far as we know, this study is the first to report that taurine is effective in improving FFAs-induced hepatic insulin resistance in vivo."

"...The exact mechanism by which FFAs cause hepatic insulin resistance is not completely understood yet. Acute elevation of plasma FFAs by short-term IH infusion has been shown to induce hepatic insulin resistance and to be associated with oxidative stress in rat liver [23,24]. Taurine was shown to prevent whole body insulin resistance induced by FFAs, association with prevention of oxidative stress in plasma in humans [14]. Concerning the effect of taurine on oxidative stress in liver, there was only one study that taurine reduced oxidative stress in liver of high-fructose-fed rats [27]. Unlike plasma FFA elevation in high-fructose/fat feeding animals, IH infusion makes it possible to observe the effects of FFAs per se in the absence of other diabetes-related metabolite/hormone changes in vivo. In this study, prolonged IH infusion induced oxidative stress both in circulating and in liver, as indicated by elevated plasma 8-isoprostaglandin and increased hepatic MDA respectively. Meanwhile, these markers of oxidative stress were inhibited by co-infusion of taurine. In summary, the co-infusion of taurine has prevented the IH-induced hepatic insulin resistance and elevation of oxidative stress markers. Our study suggested that, acting as an antioxidant, taurine ameliorates hepatic insulin resistance in association with inhibiting oxidative stress in liver, which might be one of the mechanisms of hepatic insulin resistance induced by prolonged IH infusion.... The results of this study suggest the therapeutic value of taurine in protecting from hepatic insulin resistance caused by elevated FFAs."

Hi Haidut, I get a very strong reaction from taurine. If I take 500mg I need to consume approx 100g of sugar with it. Otherwise I get hypoglycemia. Also i need to keep eating lots of sugar all day after it to prevent hypoglycemia.

And sleep after I take taurine is poor. I continually wake up and need sugar to returnto sleep. I would appear to have terrible glycogen storage.

However i notice my vision gets amazing, like HD on it. And if i eat buckets of sugar with it my mood is great.

So I presume taurine is lowering serotonin and cortisol.

I have always been prone to hypoglycemia and high adrenaline.

Should I persist with taurine? My main issue with it is its negative effect on sleep.

Thanks!

Xisca

I was told by vegetarian neighbours that there is taurine in asparagus and Green beens, to the point that their cats like them! Cats are veeeery sensitive to taurine deprivation. But how much there is? I am not vegetarian, and how can we deficient in taurine when we eat meat regularly?

Appart from any supplementation, I am 1st in favor of increasing natural intake.

Giraffe

I was told by vegetarian neighbours that there is taurine in asparagus and Green beens, to the point that their cats like them! Cats are veeeery sensitive to taurine deprivation. But how much there is?
I doubt that there is any taurine in asparagus or green beans.

tankasnowgod

wow I so need this. as I have insuline resistance. any side effects known of taking taurine, and what does it do to hormone balance?? I currently take 500 mg so I don't know if you should work it slowly up to such a dose. Wow though and would you have to take it always to maintain levels???

The biggest side effect is probably digestive distress (like nausea, diarrhea, and such). Taurine is part of digestive enzymes, so yes, it's wise to work up slowly. I take it in diveded doses, and might add 300-500mg a week.

tara

I was told by vegetarian neighbours that there is taurine in asparagus and Green beens, to the point that their cats like them!
I don't know how accurate it is, but nutritiondata does not list any taurine amongst the amino acids in asparagus.

Gl;itch.e

I don't know how accurate it is, but nutritiondata does not list any taurine amongst the amino acids in asparagus.
That would be about right. Taurine is generally something you need to get from meats/organs as it is created endogenously in animals from Cysteine.

I have routinely used 9+ grams of Taurine a day without any side effect. I do however experience hypoglycemia with larger amounts of certain B vitamins like Thiamine for whatever that's worth.

tomisonbottom

That would be about right. Taurine is generally something you need to get from meats/organs as it is created endogenously in animals from Cysteine.

I have routinely used 9+ grams of Taurine a day without any side effect. I do however experience hypoglycemia with larger amounts of certain B vitamins like Thiamine for whatever that's worth.

What do you take the taurine for specifically.....what does it do for you?

walker_in_aus

I would appear to have terrible glycogen storage.

This is the part of the problem. It does assist your liver to store glycogen, but only if your liver is going well already and isn't struggling with PUFAs.

I responded amazingly to taurine after six months of eating less pufa, more fruits and taking several rounds of liver improvers (k2,caffeine aspirin, Reishi, Milk Thistle extract). Made me happy!

Have it to my lovely husband rat and it gave him instant horrible depression. literally shut him down, I was advised he probably dumped a LOT of pufa out too soon... awful.

tara

I think Buuteyko discussed the importance of dealing with focal infections such as cavities and fungal nais etc as blocks to restoring healthy metabolism.
Modern heart doctors recognise the hazards of the oral bacteria getting pushed into the system by dental work breaching the mucous barrier and attacking the heart, with potentially serious effects. Where I am, I think they commonly suggest people with heart conditions take antibiotics before dental work to mitigate the risk.

theLaw

Just to throw this in here:

I used to have serious adrenaline issue caused by poor glycogen storage to the point that my mouth would water and pulse race even after a large meal with tons of fructose.

To resolve this, I used Taurine (1G caps) with OJ in the following dose:

Taurine - 2G + OJ (Cup) every 4hrs along with my regular meals, and the same with 1 cup milk before bed.

Within a few nights I was sleeping soundly through most of the night. If I woke up toward to the end (7hrs), then I would just take 2G Taurine + OJ, and go back to sleep for a couple of hours.

After trying several protocols to resolve my blood-sugar issues, this has been the best by far.

Also, adding glycine to the mix should help with gut inflammation, which might be adding to the problems aside from liver issues.:D

Regina

Just to throw this in here:

I used to have serious adrenaline issue caused by poor glycogen storage to the point that my mouth would water and pulse race even after a large meal with tons of fructose.

To resolve this, I used Taurine (1G caps) with OJ in the following dose:

Taurine - 2G + OJ (Cup) every 4hrs along with my regular meals, and the same with 1 cup milk before bed.

Within a few nights I was sleeping soundly through most of the night. If I woke up toward to the end (7hrs), then I would just take 2G Taurine + OJ, and go back to sleep for a couple of hours.

After trying several protocols to resolve my blood-sugar issues, this has been the best by far.

Also, adding glycine to the mix should help with gut inflammation, which might be adding to the problems aside from liver issues.:D
Yea, I was similar.
For breakfast, I had strong coffee with milk, sugar, 10gr glycine, 1gr taurine, 2 eggs, 4 scallops and a hunk of gruyere.

alywest

I think Buuteyko discussed the importance of dealing with focal infections such as cavities and fungal nais etc as blocks to restoring healthy metabolism.
Modern heart doctors recognise the hazards of the oral bacteria getting pushed into the system by dental work breaching the mucous barrier and attacking the heart, with potentially serious effects. Where I am, I think they commonly suggest people with heart conditions take antibiotics before dental work to mitigate the risk.

I was also reading on a biological dentist's website that they have you rinse with activated charcoal to bind some of the mercury before they do the mercury removal. Seemed like a good idea in general especially if you have mercury amalgams. Of course there's also been a lot of recent discussion that getting the endotoxin moving more quickly in the bowel can greatly improve periodontal diseases.

LegendeLic

Hi Haidut, I get a very strong reaction from taurine. If I take 500mg I need to consume approx 100g of sugar with it. Otherwise I get hypoglycemia. Also i need to keep eating lots of sugar all day after it to prevent hypoglycemia.

And sleep after I take taurine is poor. I continually wake up and need sugar to return to sleep. I would appear to have terrible glycogen storage.

However i notice my vision gets amazing, like HD on it. And if i eat buckets of sugar with it my mood is great.

Should I persist with taurine? My main issue with it is its negative effect on sleep.

Thanks!

for me it's pretty much the same... haven't found a solution yet unfortunately... still searching for info in that regard. I'll guess I'll try way more sugar...

mouse

And sleep after I take taurine is poor. I continually wake up and need sugar to returnto sleep. I would appear to have terrible glycogen storage.

Thanks!

for me it's pretty much the same... haven't found a solution yet unfortunately... still searching for info in that regard. I'll guess I'll try way more sugar...

Have you tried large doses of l-glutamine or l-alanine (not beta-alanine)? They can both be helpful for hypoglycemia for possibly different reasons.

Astolfo

If taurine fixes insulin resistance in two weeks, then why it's not used as a treatment of diabetes type 2?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals