Taurine More Effective Than Finasteride For Hair Loss

Progesterone

Welp. Since reading your post Gl;tch.e I've added 9g a day of Taurine split in 2-3 doses throughout the day. :)

Also going to do 1.5g topically mixed in water.

P.S I used 1.5g topically last night, wokeup and my hair had more volume than usual... TubZy do you notice this too? I know someone said something about it before but I didn't think much of the comment at all, at the time.

Gl;itch.e

Welp. Since reading your post Gl;tch.e I've added 9g a day of Taurine split in 2-3 doses throughout the day. :)

Also going to do 1.5g topically mixed in water.

P.S I used 1.5g topically last night, wokeup and my hair had more volume than usual... TubZy do you notice this too? I know someone said something about it before but I didn't think much of the comment at all, at the time.
If you start noticing a sulphuric smell coming from your body/urine/stool then back off on the Taurine. I got to this point after a few months at those doses. I think this means I have hit a saturation point of Taurines usefulness or ability to be metabolised fully.

Progesterone

If you start noticing a sulphuric smell coming from your body/urine/stool then back off on the Taurine. I got to this point after a few months at those doses. I think this means I have hit a saturation point of Taurines usefulness or ability to be metabolised fully.

Thanks for the head's up!

Curious, have you ever used finasteride or minoxidil? Wondering how Taurine compares to those for you, if you've tried them that is..

Gl;itch.e

Thanks for the head's up!

Curious, have you ever used finasteride or minoxidil? Wondering how Taurine compares to those for you, if you've tried them that is..
Finasteride no. Luckily I knew enough to know that wouldn't be a good idea to try. Minoxidil I did try. Did nothing.

Don't want to get your hopes up though. Whilst Taurine has done more for me than any other supplement it's probably not going to regrow a head of hair if you have lost a lot. Stopping hairloss is easy enough with Peats priniciples, regrowing is another thing entirely.

Progesterone

Finasteride no. Luckily I knew enough to know that wouldn't be a good idea to try. Minoxidil I did try. Did nothing.

Don't want to get your hopes up though. Whilst Taurine has done more for me than any other supplement it's probably not going to regrow a head of hair if you have lost a lot. Stopping hairloss is easy enough with Peats priniciples, regrowing is another thing entirely.

Thanks man.

I also always kind of knew finasteride was just not an option. POSSIBLY restoring hair (it can accelerate or make hair worse in some cases) VS mental, sexual and physical health, ala Russian roulette. No thanks.

Interesting minoxidil didn't do anything for you but oral Taurine made a positive difference. That is what I wanted to hear. Great news.

Current state of my hair is pretty good overall, if I can maintain what I have, I would be over the moon.

I'm sort of 'new' to Peats principles, I mean I do know quite a bit, from reading over the years, and I have a buddy who was a mod on Loungecity who was BIG on Peat.. I need to start catching up.. I know the gist of it, PUFA = BAD, coconut oil, red meat, milk, diary, etc = GOOD. I actually used a few bottles of Progest-E in 2014 (for MPB). Anyways, yes I need to catch up on my reading.

What are the top principles to follow from RP in your opinion, in terms of maintaining proper hair health?

Progesterone

I use just water, it dissolves fine just like niacinamide does. You can add some ethnaol/alcohol if you want but not necessary.

Thank you sir TubZy.

I do the same, just water.

Curious, and maybe someone else can answer this... feel free:

Would the pH of water that Taurine is dissolved in make a difference at all? positively or negatively? I can make water from pH 2.5 to 9.5... (neutral tap water is 7).

Luckytype

Anyone have a DECREASE or stop in shedding using taurine?

Ive been using 1800mg twice a day and i finally am able to dream when i sleep. Apparently this is a dopamine mechanism upregulation.

Thats it so far. Considering adding lysine but frankly this is annoying keeping tabs on all this stuff. Even trying to quantify the progress is difficult.

johnwester130

Ive been using 1800mg twice a day and i finally am able to dream when i sleep. Apparently this is a dopamine mechanism upregulation.

Thats it so far. Considering adding lysine but frankly this is annoying keeping tabs on all this stuff. Even trying to quantify the progress is difficult.

avoid lysine

get it from just collagen hydrolysate

Gl;itch.e

What are the top principles to follow from RP in your opinion, in terms of maintaining proper hair health?
IMO they are
Adequate not excessive protein
Adequate Carbs/Sugars
Lowish fat, 100% avoidance of PUFAs
Salt
Sun
Gut Health (good fibre like Carrot)
Anti-inflammatory substances. Gelatin (Glycine), Taurine, Niacinamide, Aspirin, Calcium etc.
Avoiding Pro-inflammatory substance. Iron, too much muscle meat (Tryptophan) PUFA obviously etc.
Lifestyle factors. Attempt to lower stress and/or your reaction to stressful situations.

Progesterone

IMO they are
Adequate not excessive protein
Adequate Carbs/Sugars
Lowish fat, 100% avoidance of PUFAs
Salt
Sun
Gut Health (good fibre like Carrot)
Anti-inflammatory substances. Gelatin (Glycine), Taurine, Niacinamide, Aspirin, Calcium etc.
Avoiding Pro-inflammatory substance. Iron, too much muscle meat (Tryptophan) PUFA obviously etc.
Lifestyle factors. Attempt to lower stress and/or your reaction to stressful situations.

I really appreciate you making this list, thank you!

Few questions - this IS still related to MPB, not hijacking this thread.

1. I know RP is big on drinking milk... currently I use a almond/coconut type blend for cereals (I know, I know, all those PUFAs..). Since coming to this forum and getting back into Peat, I did buy organic milk 2% and 3%. I know this has probably been beaten to DEATH but allow me to play devil's advocate for 1 second here: What about the thought process that MILK = for cows, to put on muscle and get big ASAP (all that protein, growth factors..) What is the rebuttal here?

2. What is adequate daily protein intake, for someone who is training 4-5 times a week, intensely with moderate to heavy weights? Is it bodyweight? i.e 170lbs person should consume 170g protein? Or is it less?

3. I am taking 60mg approx of albion chelated iron, each night. My ferritin level was '63' in July 2016. I've heard for men, for proper hair growth, 80-100 or even past 100 is beneficial.. very interesting. I am VERY, VERY, concerned about keeping my hair.

4. What are good sources of carbs per Peat? i.e Potatoes, whole grain oats, etc? Or does it not matter that much?

5. Are probiotic supplements recommended or frowned upon (Gut health)?

Gl;itch.e

I really appreciate you making this list, thank you!

Few questions - this IS still related to MPB, not hijacking this thread.

1. I know RP is big on drinking milk... currently I use a almond/coconut type blend for cereals (I know, I know, all those PUFAs..). Since coming to this forum and getting back into Peat, I did buy organic milk 2% and 3%. I know this has probably been beaten to DEATH but allow me to play devil's advocate for 1 second here: What about the thought process that MILK = for cows, to put on muscle and get big ASAP (all that protein, growth factors..) What is the rebuttal here?
Cant be arsed speaking too much about this one. It seems some weird sense of morals is behind this anti milk stuff rather than actual evidence. Milk is the only food on the planet intended to actually be food (though maybe not for species other than the one producing it). Everything else is in a fight for its own survival (be that plant or animal) and presents with a trade off of good and bad qualities to those that eat it.

2. What is adequate daily protein intake, for someone who is training 4-5 times a week, intensely with moderate to heavy weights? Is it bodyweight? i.e 170lbs person should consume 170g protein? Or is it less?
about a gram per pound of bodyweight a day would suffice. I weight about 100kg and only get roughly 120-150g of protein a day. Higher protein than this may be required IF I was to cut carbs back. But otherwise a highish carb diet wont require as much protein as a low carb one.

3. I am taking 60mg approx of albion chelated iron, each night. My ferritin level was '63' in July 2016. I've heard for men, for proper hair growth, 80-100 or even past 100 is beneficial.. very interesting. I am VERY, VERY, concerned about keeping my hair.
Iron supplements are junk. Nate here refers to them as being rust supplements. Better off not taking them.

4. What are good sources of carbs per Peat? i.e Potatoes, whole grain oats, etc? Or does it not matter that much?
No grains. A few starches are deemed acceptable (well cooked potatoes and white rice mostly) but the majority of your carbs should be sourced from fruit and dairy.

5. Are probiotic supplements recommended or frowned upon (Gut health)?
Mostly considered unnecessary or effectively useless.

johnwester130

I use Lysine, 1.5g/day... why do you say avoid it?

just seems to lower the stress hormones too much and may cause cold hands and feet

you already get enough, if you supplement gelatin

As long as you regrow hair - that's all that matters. no supplement is essential

TubZy

Taurine seems like it's dose dependent. I only can get up to 3 grams dissolved in the amount of water I apply which is close to ~10ml. If there is a way to get a higher concentration to dissolve (maybe 4-5 grams) the results could be better. I tried adding some ethanol but still having a hard time dissolving any more than 3 grams. The powder just sits at the bottom.

But, I notice a better effect from using 1 gram topically to 3 gram topically.

Progesterone

Taurine seems like it's dose dependent. I only can get up to 3 grams dissolved in the amount of water I apply which is close to ~10ml. If there is a way to get a higher concentration to dissolve (maybe 4-5 grams) the results could be better. I tried adding some ethanol but still having a hard time dissolving any more than 3 grams. The powder just sits at the bottom.

Interesting.. thanks.

I've bumped up my Taurine topical to 3g as of tonight.

So that's 9g/day oral, and 3g/day topical.

On another note, washed my hair tonight with Selsun Blue shampoo and shedding is still way down. Counted approx 10 hairs total.

brix

my hair has stopped shedding for the most part. I notice like 3-5 hairs on my hands when I shampoo. However, I have sebhorreic dermatits and also use EstroBan from idealabs, which has helped a lot. Between both supplements my hair is much fuller and way less oily.

TubZy

my hair has stopped shedding for the most part. I notice like 3-5 hairs on my hands when I shampoo. However, I have sebhorreic dermatits and also use EstroBan from idealabs, which has helped a lot. Between both supplements my hair is much fuller and way less oily.

Estroban topically on hair or oral?

TheHound

didnt haidut say the dose for topical taurine was the same as the recommended dose for topical caffeine? so it wouldn't be much. I think this came out to only like 1 gram added to an entire bottle of solban or something?

TubZy

didnt haidut say the dose for topical taurine was the same as the recommended dose for topical caffeine? so it wouldn't be much. I think this came out to only like 1 gram added to an entire bottle of solban or something?

I tried solban at the default dose of caffeine and get way better effects when much more of a higher percentage is used. The same with taurine it was in vitro.

The caffeine study that haidut cited was in vitro as well so again we don't really know for sure what the "ideal" dosage should be, but higher doses work better. A few others mentioned the same thing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals