Taurine More Effective Than Finasteride For Hair Loss

milk_lover

Nicholas said:
testimony: in three years of reading and being around Peat's work, working on diet, occasionally trying certain supplements, etc....once i got diet squared away, Taurine has been the only supplement that i truly have noticed to help push me to the next level and perhaps get me out of some cycle that diet alone could not break out of fast enough. Other supplements seem to have so many caveats and complications and are very finnicky with dosage, etc. Taurine seems like a truly benign supplement to experiment with (complications seem rare)....and it feels almost like taking a multi-vitamin for metabolic function - affecting so many different systems in very powerful ways - a lot of bang for your buck.
That's great Nicholas. I am glad it's working for you. What is the dose you take and how do you take it? Would Red Bull provide me with the needed taurine?

Nicholas

thanks, i don't know about red bull. i take 1000mg/day, NOW brand as capsule, with breakfast.

milk_lover

Nicholas said:
post 108245 thanks, i don't know about red bull. i take 1000mg/day, NOW brand as capsule, with breakfast.
One can of Red Bull has 1000mg of taurine plus B-vitamins, caffeine, and sugar. I would assume it's a good source.

Last edited by a moderator:

michael94

Nicholas said:
post 108241 testimony: in three years of reading and being around Peat's work, working on diet, occasionally trying certain supplements, etc....once i got diet squared away, Taurine has been the only supplement that i truly have noticed to help push me to the next level and perhaps get me out of some cycle that diet alone could not break out of fast enough. Other supplements seem to have so many caveats and complications and are very finnicky with dosage, etc. Taurine seems like a truly benign supplement to experiment with (complications seem rare)....and it feels almost like taking a multi-vitamin for metabolic function - affecting so many different systems in very powerful ways - a lot of bang for your buck.

Exactly my feelings and I'm going to bump this so that others can consider supplementing this wonderful stuff

jyb

Interesting thread.
haidut said:
post 106392
Sheik said:
post 106279 Haidut, how do you think this relates to the supposed pro-hair effects of PGE2? Considering that taurine, according to a quick Google search, seems to inhibit PGE2.

I'm not well versed on the science, and I don't know how interested you are in the issue of hair loss... Did you happen to see this blog I linked a few weeks ago?
http://swisstemples.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... gress.html

I was never convinced that the prostaglandins are helpful for hair growth. It is a biomarker of damage. The original claim that PGE2 is needed for stomach mucosal health were recently debunked as it turned out that the people taking aspirin and getting GI damage were either infected with H. pylori or were taking coated aspirin, which reaches the small intestine and does damage there. Non-infected people taking regular aspirin had PGE2 levels close to zero and still perfectly healthy stomachs.
Anyways, back to the hair. I am not aware of any mechanism by which a prostaglandin will spur hair growth. Actually, there is one possibility and that is through injury. Ray said that people losing hair got regrowth when they injured their scalp somehow. PGE2 is released during injury but it is not the causative factor for hair growth. So, some people probably saw that PGE2 is associated with hair growth and decided that it is good for hair but in reality it is there by accident.

Well yes, he's clearly using damage to stimulate hair growth, with visible red mark from UV exposure. Unfortunately it seems the regrown hair looks aged (not dense and discoloured), I would not be confident that growth would persist. Still, interesting result as there is clear growth over just a few months.

Maybe what helped is just exposure to bright light? However, despite all the benefits of light, I would be surprised if mere exposure to it (without the injury stimulation) would have been as effective (even if still useful to prevent further hair loss).

milk said:
I wish I could just take taurine continuously for the rest of my life. It really does the trick.

Why not if it works? It's a bit like supplementing gelatin.

Entropy

Yeah but Red Bull has the niacin form of b3 which may potentially release PG's, also Red Bull has some other stuff I wouldn't want to put directly on my scalp..

I'd try adding Taurine, Caffeine, Aspirin to Pansterone

Brandon

The study also says that taurine significantly increased lifespan and should be effective against androgenic allopecia as well. Oh, and taurine was more effective than finasteride. Not bad for a humble amino acid :cool:

Simulative evaluation of taurine against alopecia caused by stress in Caenorhabditis elegans. - PubMed - NCBI

"... Although astressin-B and finasteride are two prominent drugs to treat alopecia, the data in this study suggest that taurine may work better than the two anti-alopecia agents against hair loss caused particularly by stresses. These results strongly implicate that taurine might alleviate the chemical stress to help hair root cells to sustain their integrity. "

"... Considering hair loss causes adolescent to suffer devastating emotional stress, the significance of safe, effective anti-alopecia agent cannot be overstated. Development of screening systems for anti-alopecia agents is very important. This study used C. elegans to evaluate astressin-B, finasteride, and taurine in terms of anti-stress potential. All of them helped with restoring the affected vital signs in C. elegans which was subjected to ER stress. Among the three agents, taurine exerts better results and may be used as an anti-alopecia agent especially against the one caused by stress."

Where can we get topical taurine? Topical caffeine? What are the best brands?

Gl;itch.e

Where can we get topical taurine? Topical caffeine? What are the best brands?
I believe Haidut makes some products that are topical and contain caffeine. Not sure about Taurine. But it should be easy enough to make yourself if you have access to the powdered supplements. Caffeine I think is restricted in powder form now but you should be able to find capsules that contain mostly caffeine without too many dodgy fillers. Then all you'd need to do is mix some taurine, caffeine (and niacinamide which is also purported to be good for topical hair growth) with water and apply as needed. Might need to play around with the quantities to get a good solution.

yoshiesque

id like to start adding Topical Taurine to halt my hair loss. Well at least see if it works.

Can someone tell me how I could make this? Like for example how much water and taurine I would need?

Brandon

Taurine reverses hair loss

Topical may work even better than oral. Effective concentrations in the study were 0.01%, so similar to topical caffeine shown effective at 0.01% and even 0.001%.
RedBull on the scalp anyone?
Where can I get topical taurine. You serious about the Redbull on the scalp?

Brandon

Oh, I've been applying Aspercreme to my scalp for about two weeks now...

Mountain

id like to start adding Topical Taurine to halt my hair loss. Well at least see if it works.

Can someone tell me how I could make this? Like for example how much water and taurine I would need?

I dissolved 1g each of apirin, caffeine and taurine in a 20% ethanol water solution. I have a 100mL spray bottle so I just used half 40% vodka and water.

Brandon

Where do you get the taurine ?

How long have you been doing it?

Any before/after photos?

Mountain

Where do you get the taurine ?

How long have you been doing it?

Any before/after photos?

Just google "bulk taurine powder" and buy whichever is reasonably priced and pure. I've been doing it for maybe 2 months, just spraying over the top of my head after drying my hair from showering and then quickly patting it through the hair so it sits on the scalp then letting it dry. No noticeable changes to report yet.

Brandon

Just google "bulk taurine powder" and buy whichever is reasonably priced and pure. I've been doing it for maybe 2 months, just spraying over the top of my head after drying my hair from showering and then quickly patting it through the hair so it sits on the scalp then letting it dry. No noticeable changes to report yet.
Ok cool. I recently bought some taurine from GNC. 500 mg. Only thing is, the two other ingredients are cullulose and dicalciun phosphate. Not sure if this is good or bad.

T

tobieagle

I dissolved 1g each of apirin, caffeine and taurine in a 20% ethanol water solution. I have a 100mL spray bottle so I just used half 40% vodka and water.

:D:D

I concocted pretty much the very same solution. I just used only warm tap water as a solvent. Worked just fine.
Awesome and extremely cheap topical :cool:

Brandon

:D:D

I concocted pretty much the very same solution. I just used only warm tap water as a solvent. Worked just fine.
Awesome and extremely cheap topical :cool:

Hey Tobiegle. So, you are saying you are seeing results, or that your approach to making the solution works fine?

I've tried dissolving aspirin in water and applying it to my scalp, but it left residue. Are you seeing any of that?

daIllu

How about coconut oil + taurine? I have dry scalp, seborrheic dermatitis from birth although it's not horrible atm, possibly p5p (b6) has helped a little but also just reduced stress. At least from what I've tried coconut oil before it doesn't do anything bad on my skin anyways so I might try. I used it to protect from sun sometimes, probably after some tip on a health site.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals