Taurine More Effective Than Finasteride For Hair Loss

NathanK

Ella said:
post 106517
milk said:
post 106513 I've been taking taurine at varying doses for a few months now. I was taking around 2g throughout the day, eventually lowering the dose to 1g and then stopping for a while.

It seems that whenever I'm taking 2g or more a day my shedding stops completely. But when I stopped taking it or took a lower dose, the shedding returned.

It should be easy to get the required amount of taurine from foods. Peat is right on the ball regarding dairy being the preferred protein.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com.au/2010 ... urine.html
We should, which is why I think many don't think of it. It's one of the most abundant aminos in our system. Shrimp is high in taurine too. I remember someone here eating a shrimp diet and having pretty good results.

Haidut had an intense conversation with goldbluv in a bicarbonate thread that made me consider that the pancreas is being under represented in it's importance for digestion and breaking down proteins. If the pancreas and it's digestive enzymes are impaired then many could be having problems getting all the required aminos and nutrients from diet alone. http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pa ... crine.html

Lin said:
post 106522 When you take taurine, are you taking it on an empty stomach, away from other amino acids or foods. Or do you just dump the powder into a smoothie, or sprinkle on ice cream?
I try to take mine with food for a better AA balance and also because it can block excess methionine uptake as I posted in a study

Last edited by a moderator:

mujuro

Any way to avoid the powerful sulfur smelling loose stools? I'm using 5g daily. Should I be splitting the dose?

paymanz

Ella said:
post 106517
milk said:
post 106513 I've been taking taurine at varying doses for a few months now. I was taking around 2g throughout the day, eventually lowering the dose to 1g and then stopping for a while.

It seems that whenever I'm taking 2g or more a day my shedding stops completely. But when I stopped taking it or took a lower dose, the shedding returned.

It should be easy to get the required amount of taurine from foods. Peat is right on the ball regarding dairy being the preferred protein.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com.au/2010 ... urine.html

but if you look at pubmed or any other sources you find that cow's milk is very poor source of taurine , and to my knowledge plants has zero amount of the amino acid.

Last edited:

Parsifal

Classic case of correlation is not causation. That is the worst article concerning male pattern baldness I've ever seen. None of those citations he gives elucidate any causal pathways or mechanisms, nor do his embelishments give any. He just repeats "stress" and "inflammation" over and over again in the hopes you will buy what he selling. He never elucidates how stress and inflammation play into balding. Mainly because he hasn't got a clue. The stuff Ray Peat says is just widely out of line with findings from experimental dermatology. Like "testosterone makes the hair grow thicker and prolactin causes it to fall out". Funny, that's not what hamilton found when he administered testosterone to his subjects. These guys think that calcium, sunlight, red meat, and orange juice can stop male pattern baldness. Good luck with that.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/sh ... n-Baldness

What do you think about it?

mujuro

That guy later goes on to say
He has went as far as claiming that "estrogen is the ****storm hormone". I wonder how his female readers feel about stupid Manicheanistic generalizations like that.

Does he know what the menstrual cycle is and that just preceding ovulation, when estrogen is at its highest, the female tends to feel the worst, the moodiest, the most lousy?

Being on a hairloss forum already says a lot about these guys, let alone the constant berating and the worshiping at the altar of EBM.

Parsifal

mujuro said:
post 107145 That guy later goes on to say
He has went as far as claiming that "estrogen is the ****storm hormone". I wonder how his female readers feel about stupid Manicheanistic generalizations like that.

Does he know what the menstrual cycle is and that just preceding ovulation, when estrogen is at its highest, the female tends to feel the worst, the moodiest, the most lousy?

Being on a hairloss forum already says a lot about these guys, let alone the constant berating and the worshiping at the altar of EBM.
Yes I laughed while reading this :mrgreen:. But doesn't mean because he hasn't read or understood Peat that other of his claims might be uninterresting no?

lexis

Parsifal said:
Parsifal said:
post 107144
Classic case of correlation is not causation. That is the worst article concerning male pattern baldness I've ever seen. None of those citations he gives elucidate any causal pathways or mechanisms, nor do his embelishments give any. He just repeats "stress" and "inflammation" over and over again in the hopes you will buy what he selling. He never elucidates how stress and inflammation play into balding. Mainly because he hasn't got a clue. The stuff Ray Peat says is just widely out of line with findings from experimental dermatology. Like "testosterone makes the hair grow thicker and prolactin causes it to fall out". Funny, that's not what hamilton found when he administered testosterone to his subjects. These guys think that calcium, sunlight, red meat, and orange juice can stop male pattern baldness. Good luck with that.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/sh ... n-Baldness

What do you think about it?

I dont think Ray has said 'testosterone grows thick hair'.

Lot of forum owners and diet gurus are scared of their revenue loss

Parsifal

lexis said:
I dont think Ray has said 'testosterone grows thick hair'.

Lot of forum owners and diet gurus are scared of their revenue loss
I agree with that, people in the health business are as demagogic as big pharma.

People when they are against an idea or a paradigm are often hyperbolic and blindly critical, it's rare to find objective people (not good brain metabolism or running too much on stress hormones that leads them to be impulsive?) and that's very sad because they have a black/white view, it's either perfect/absolute truth (and they get into fanatism) or wrong/evil, and there could be a bit of truth here or there in the opposite paradigm but nobody would see it because they are blinded by their fanatism and collective conditioning/ego.
I say this for them but also for us on this forum as we are also faillible. I believe that Peat is right for a lot of things and really closer to truth than anyone in health I've read yet, and haven't found anything that I could disprove in his claims yet, but I'm trying to stay objective because his ideas might be improvable or not always correct.

Moreover Danny Roddy might give a false imagine of what Peat's ideas truly are to people that are unfamiliar with his ideas and coming from hair loss communities.

So back to why I pointed this post, IIRC Peat (or/and other members on this forum, I don't remember well) said that testosterone/DHT was not the cause of hair loss, that is why I was asking you what you think of it.

lexis

High traffic website forums can be sold for a lot of bucks!! I can confirm this.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

paymanz

if taurine helps control sugar level and increase glycogen synthes then it can stimulate GH via glucose lowering effect too.probably

rdmayo21

haidut said:
Topical may work even better than oral. Effective concentrations in the study were 0.01%, so similar to topical caffeine shown effective at 0.01% and even 0.001%.
RedBull on the scalp anyone?

Am I correct in thinking that a 0.01% concentration of taurine solution would mean 0.1 mg of taurine per 1 mL of water? If so, then 750 mg of taurine powder (approx. 1/4 teaspoons) would require 7.5 L of water, which seems like a lot of water.

livrepensador

Friends,
Is it possible that i can use some red bull topically to prevent hair loss due the taurine content?
Will it be efective?

paymanz

livrepensador said:
post 108063 Friends,
Is it possible that i can use some red bull topically to prevent hair loss due the taurine content?
Will it be efective?
why not,it also has caffeine which is good for hairs too.but the concentration is low.even co2 content should be good.and there is some vitamins also.

NathanK

The increase in GH may be why there is increased hair growth. IIR, Danny Roddy mentioned men with male pattern baldness typically have low IGF-1.

The classic argument for that blogger would be, "then why do old men have less hair than young men if testosterone is the problem?"

Nicholas

testimony: in three years of reading and being around Peat's work, working on diet, occasionally trying certain supplements, etc....once i got diet squared away, Taurine has been the only supplement that i truly have noticed to help push me to the next level and perhaps get me out of some cycle that diet alone could not break out of fast enough. Other supplements seem to have so many caveats and complications and are very finnicky with dosage, etc. Taurine seems like a truly benign supplement to experiment with (complications seem rare)....and it feels almost like taking a multi-vitamin for metabolic function - affecting so many different systems in very powerful ways - a lot of bang for your buck.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals