Taurine Inhibits Deposition Of Extracellular Matrix In Experimental Liver Fibrosis In Rats

paymanz

[Taurine inhibits deposition of extracellular matrix in experimental liver fibrosis in rats]. - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To study the effect of taurine on liver fibrosis and its mechanism.

METHODS:
Fibrosis was induced by the administration of carbon tertrachloride(CCl4) in rats. Some of the animals were treated with taurine. The rats were killed after 12 weeks of CCl4 treatment. Depositions of type I, III and IV collages, laminin and hyaluronic acid were studied in liver sections by immunohistochemical technique using specific antibody. The hepatic contents of type I, III procollage and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1(TIMP-1) mRNA were determined by Northern blot hybridization.

RESULTS:
A significant elevations of hepatic collagen I, III, IV, laminin and hyaluronic acid were observed after 12 weeks of liver injury in animals without taurine treatment, and a definite increase in the amounts of hepatic type I, III procollagen and TIMP-1 mRNA was noted. Taurine prevented increases in type I, III procollagen mRNA expression as well as the accumulation of the collagens, laminin and hyaluronic acid in the liver.

CONCLUSION:
The data indicate that taurine has a protective effect in CCl4-induced hepatic fibrosis. The results suggest taurine might be of potential value in clinical practice.