Taurine-induced Diuresis And Natriuresis In Cirrhotic Patients With Ascites

Drareg

Taurine-induced diuresis and natriuresis in cirrhotic patients with ascites. - PubMed - NCBI

Taurine is a non-protein sulfur amino acid widely distributed in mammalian tissues, with poorly understood functions. Taurine administration has a variety of hemodynamic effects, including improvement of cardiac function and suppression of sympathetic activity. Increased urinary volume and sodium excretion have been reported in taurine-fed hamsters. Since patients with ascitic liver cirrhosis have severe hemodynamic and renal abnormalities potentially sensitive to taurine feeding, we evaluated the effects of the i.v. infusion of taurine on urinary flow and sodium excretion and on the hormones involved in the control of hydrosaline homeostasis. Eight cirrhotic patients with tense ascites were given an i.v. bolus of taurine (16 mumoles in 40 ml of saline). The next day patients were given saline only, as a control. Diuresis, urinary sodium and plasma renin activity, aldosterone, atrial natriuretic peptide and arginine vasopressin were measured for the following 6 hrs. Plasma taurine increased ten fold after infusion, then decreased exponentially. No side effects were recorded. After taurine, but not after saline, there was a prompt and significant increase in both urinary volume and sodium excretion. Diuresis increased from 340 +/- 43 to 817 +/- 116 microliters/min (p < 0.01); urinary sodium from 13.8 +/- 3 to 26.3 +/- 4 mumoles/min (p < 0.05). Both values returned to normal after 2-3 hrs. Taurine infusion caused a concomitant significant decrease in plasma renin activity (from 7.7 +/- 2.2 to 4.3 +/- 1.9 ng/ml/hr, p < 0.05) and aldosterone (from 588 +/- 47 to 348 +/- 89 pg/ml, p < 0.05), but no changes in atrial natriuretic peptide and arginine vasopressin. We conclude that i.v. taurine infusion in ascitic cirrhosis promotes a transient diuresis and natriuresis, apparently through the inhibition of the renin-aldosterone axis.

beachbum

Hi Drareg,

Can someone pleeeeese explain this study in layman terms. Is taurine good or bad.

Thank you

J

jb116

@beachbum Essentially taurine can be helpful in reducing hypertension through mainly reducing stress induced pressure balancing hormones. The bit of salt lost through the urine is transient but I suggest keeping intake up. I've used taurine to help some older folks with hypertension. Their sleep subsequently improved as a side effect (benefit).

Elysium

The study says if you have fluid build up in your abdominal cavity (ascites) as a result of liver cirrhosis, taurine will make you pee more, reducing the build up and blood sodium as well.

beachbum

Oh okay. . Coooool. I do take taurine 500mg to 1000 a day. What if I have low blood pressure but water retention. I seem okay on it but from what you both wrote looks like I should keep sodium up?. I do pee alot. I wonder now if sodium is lost then not upping it would keep me in a water retention cycle. .huh that may explain the extra water retention today. So I took some salt and put sodium bicarbonate in my oj help some. I weighed myself this morning I was 145 then after taking the salt I weighed myself 5 hours later 142 and I went for a short walk to circulate the body.

Last edited:

Elysium

Actually, i take about 10 000 to 15 000 mg a day, and i cant say ive ever noticed anything.
Which has been the story of my life with just about every single supplement...from gelatin to aspirin, B vitamins, you name it. Absolute zero feedback.

beachbum

Actually, i take about 10 000 to 15 000 mg a day, and i cant say ive ever noticed anything.
Which has been the story of my life with just about every single supplement...from gelatin to aspirin, B vitamins, you name it. Absolute zero feedback.
Really!!! I don't know if that is good or bad..hmm interesting. I usually have feedback but it is usually the opposite of what it should do. Goes to show you how different everyone receives things.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Hi Drareg,

Can someone pleeeeese explain this study in layman terms. Is taurine good or bad.

Thank you

Hey Beachbum,
Interesting your asking about taurine because I wanted to ask Haidut about an idealabs version of this interesting substance,I really don't know enough on it to be honest but it's worth looking at as it can increase conversion of T4to T3.
Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

I posted elsewhere on this forum about taurine increasing prolactin,It wasn't a great study and I've found nothing since,it may have been before we found the correct dosage of under 2 g.
It seems taurine is systemic and Peat mentions it in an article on glycine I think,it's similar to glycine was his point.

whodathunkit

Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com
A guy over at Phoenix Rising credits TUDCA with helping cure his PFS and chronic energy/metabolic problems. I use it in small amounts daily. I think it's helping with general liver function as well as bile production (gelatin + taurine) in addition to the exogenous bile (UDCA) component.

I use a small amount of T3 in the morning but in general my temps are better and more stable than they used to be. The TUDCA could be helping with that via boosting liver function and therefore T4>T3 conversion. I plan to keep up with it for a while.

Thanks for the tip about optimal taurine dosage, didn't know that!

OP
Drareg

Drareg

A guy over at Phoenix Rising credits TUDCA with helping cure his PFS and chronic energy/metabolic problems. I use it in small amounts daily. I think it's helping with general liver function as well as bile production (gelatin + taurine) in addition to the exogenous bile (UDCA) component.

I use a small amount of T3 in the morning but in general my temps are better and more stable than they used to be. The TUDCA could be helping with that via boosting liver function and therefore T4>T3 conversion. I plan to keep up with it for a while.

Thanks for the tip about optimal taurine dosage, didn't know that!

This is great to hear,where do you get it?
I'm fascinated with dio 1,2,3 ,it seems they are dangerous to mess with but D2 seems relatively harmless with a cautious approach.
Your spot on with liver function but an interesting study in vitro shows it increasing D2 in muscle tissue I believe.

beachbum

Hey Beachbum,
Interesting your asking about taurine because I wanted to ask Haidut about an idealabs version of this interesting substance,I really don't know enough on it to be honest but it's worth looking at as it can increase conversion of T4to T3.

I posted elsewhere on this forum about taurine increasing prolactin,It wasn't a great study and I've found nothing since,it may have been before we found the correct dosage of under 2 g.
It seems taurine is systemic and Peat mentions it in an article on glycine I think,it's similar to glycine was his point.
I started using Taurine and glycine and some other aminos, but as I keep investigating and researching I personally believe it starts with liver health and Taurine was a main amino as well as being the most needed but we are supposedly low in it. I also started using this eye supplement that most if not ingredients are for liver health:
Twinlab
Ocuguard Plus (144 Capsules) Supplement Facts
SUPPLEMENT FACTS
Serving Size:
2 CAPSULES

Serving Per Container:

• Amount Per Serving
  • % Daily Value
  • Vitamin A -(From Beta Carotene)
  • 2,500 IU
  • 50%
  • Vitamin C - (As Ascorbic Acid)
  • 750 Mg
  • 1250%
  • Vitamin D - (As Cholecaciferol)
  • 200 IU
  • 50%
  • Vitamin E -(From D-Alpha Tocopheryl Acid Succinate)
  • 200 IU
  • 667%
  • Riboflavin
  • 25 Mg
  • 1471%
  • Zinc - (From Zinc Picolinate)
  • 12 Mg
  • 83%
  • Selenium -(From Selenomethionine)
  • 50 Mcg
  • 71%
  • Chromium -(From Chromium Chloride)
  • 100 Mcg
  • 83%
  • Citrus Bioflavonoids Complex -(Containing 50% Total Bioflavonoids Consisting Of Flavanones (Hesperidin, Eriocitrin, Naringin And Naringenin), Flavonols And Flavones)
  • 125 Mg
  • N/A*
  • N-Acetyl L-Cysteine (Nac)
  • 100 Mg
  • N/A*
  • Taurine
  • 100 Mg
  • N/A*
  • Quercetin Dihydrate
  • 50 Mg
  • N/A*
  • Rutin
  • 50 Mg
  • N/A*
  • LUTEIN - (AS FLORAGLO MARIGOLD FLOWER EXTRACT)
  • 10 Mg
  • N/A*
  • Bilberry Berry Extract -(Standardized For 25% Anthocyanins)
  • 5 Mg
  • N/A*
  • L-Glutathione
  • 5 Mg
  • N/A*
  • ZEAXANTHIN (AS FLORAGLO MARIGOLD FLOWER EXTRACT)
  • 400 Mcg
  • N/A*
What I notice with Taurine it helps my achy joints some.

Amazoniac

l-taurine is converted to l-bulline in the body as long as it has enough l-georginine around. It can't be too much, otherwise it encourages the formation of nitric pboyxide, known to cause erections. If you happen to have in excess, you can take d-avefosterine, draregic or paymanzic acid, all of them will take care of the excess directing it towards the formation of l-allanine. Carbonara bolognese is an enzyme that's involved in the formation of beauty pigment, known as liposuchin. Provided that it's working, the pigment will form mainly in the brain to counteract the systemic hypoxia induced after cells sense their surroundings too perfect to be true. If the person dreams that instead of snow, what's actually falling is grated parmigiano reggiano, then that is happening. It can also give the person daily hallucinations with falling grated pregnenolone.

whodathunkit

l-taurine is converted to l-bulline in the body as long as it has enough l-georginine around. It can't be too much, otherwise it encourages the formation of nitric pboyxide, known to cause erections. If you happen to have in excess, you can take d-avefosterine, draregic or paymanzic acid, all of them will take care of the excess directing it towards the formation of l-allanine. Carbonara bolognese is an enzyme that's involved in the formation of beauty pigment, known as liposuchin. Provided that it's working, the pigment will form mainly in the brain to counteract the systemic hypoxia induced after cells sense their surroundings too perfect to be true. If the person dreams that instead of snow, what's actually falling is grated parmigiano reggiano, then that is happening. It can also give the person daily hallucinations with falling grated pregnenolone.
So we should all eat pasta with cream & meat & parmesan sauce made by DaveFoster, paymanz, haidut, pboy, and Drareg and l-alllllanine our problems will be solved...?

This is great to hear,where do you get it?
I'm fascinated with dio 1,2,3 ,it seems they are dangerous to mess with but D2 seems relatively harmless with a cautious approach.
Your spot on with liver function but an interesting study in vitro shows it increasing D2 in muscle tissue I believe.
I get it on Amazon. Braun seems a good brand.

I have only the vaguest notion of the ramification of D1, D2, D3 and deoidination. However, if I waited to understand the effects of everything before I tried I would still be sitting on my hands waiting for my health to turn around via research. LOL I'd be interested in your thoughts about D2. I go low with the TUDCA just to be on the safer side of any effects. For example, for whatever reason, drinking alcohol *after* taking TUDCA has been shown to harm the liver in some situations. But taking TUDCA during or after drinking helps it.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

So we should all eat pasta with cream & meat & parmesan sauce made by DaveFoster, paymanz, haidut, pboy, and Drareg and l-alllllanine our problems will be solved...?

I get it on Amazon. Braun seems a good brand.

I have only the vaguest notion of the ramification of D1, D2, D3 and deoidination. However, if I waited to understand the effects of everything before I tried I would still be sitting on my hands waiting for my health to turn around via research. LOL I'd be interested in your thoughts about D2. I go low with the TUDCA just to be on the safer side of any effects. For example, for whatever reason, drinking alcohol *after* taking TUDCA has been shown to harm the liver in some situations. But taking TUDCA during or after drinking helps it.

Great point,experience being the true method as always.
I'm still looking for more research on them as they come up so will keep posting as they come.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

Possibly a touch of a Freudian slip with pboxyide and erections comment........:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Amazoniac

I think so, but there's a key ingredient being missed. And not just parmesan: provolone or pregnenolone are also fine flavorings.
Possibly a touch of a Freudian slip with pboxyide and erections comment........:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:
Dissect this one then: burtlancaustic soda mixed with sodium Solfite converts neatric to neatrous pboyxide.

Jokes aside, taurine seems indeed helpful for liver problems:
Taurine and liver diseases: a focus on the heterogeneous protective properties of taurine
Effect of taurine on chronic and acute liver injury: Focus on blood and brain ammonia
Elsevier: Article Locator
@Sol

Taurine Doubles Liver Glycogen
TAURINE The Key To Restoring Metabolic Function?
Vladimir Heiskanen's amino acid article

Last edited:

Sol

Thank you for pointing that, Amazoniac.

Taurine is indeed very interesting. I have some, but I hesitate to take it because it increases bile acid and I'm afraid it could trigger cholestasis.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

I think so, but there's a key ingredient being missed. And not just parmesan: provolone or pregnenolone are also fine flavorings.

Dissect this one then: burtlancaustic soda mixed with sodium Solfite converts neatric to neatrous pboyxide.

Jokes aside, taurine seems indeed helpful for liver problems:
Taurine and liver diseases: a focus on the heterogeneous protective properties of taurine
Effect of taurine on chronic and acute liver injury: Focus on blood and brain ammonia
Elsevier: Article Locator
@Sol

Taurine Doubles Liver Glycogen
TAURINE The Key To Restoring Metabolic Function?
Vladimir Heiskanen's amino acid article

Burtlancaustic soda has been propositioning "sodium solfite"causing a reaction in the environment called neatrous pboyxide.
:emoji_couple_mm:+:emoji_man_dancing:*:emoji_speaking_head:[:emoji_kiss_mm:]=:emoji_wrestlers:

Amazoniac

http://www.nutricionhospitalaria.com/pdf/3337.pdf
Because taurine is involved in the formation of bile acid conjugates, its deficiency is likely to play a role in the pathogenesis of PN [parenteral nutrition]-associated cholestasis10-14.

Since taurine plays an important role in cell membrane stabilisation, modulation of intracellular calcium levels, osmoregulation and detoxification16-19, it is likely to modulate various physiological functions, which are disturbed in a broad range of clinical situations. Although its mechanism of action is poorly understood, it appears to have important cardiovascular effects and to influence platelet aggregation, central nervous system (CNS) neuromodulation, retinal photoreceptor activity, endocrine functions, antioxidant activity and control of growth and cell differentiation1,2.

The average daily synthesis [from methionine and cysteine] in adults ranges between 0.4-1.0 mmol (50-125 mg)1; under stress the synthesis capacity may be impaired

During this enterohepatic circulation, bile acids undergo numerous structural modifications, including conjugation with taurine and glycine and sulfation, to diminish their hepatotoxicity36; besides, conjugation is essential to maintain bile acids' solubility in the aqueous intestinal environment36.

tauro-conjugated bile acids have a choleretic effect and prevent cholestasis, unlike unconjugated or glycine-conjugated bile acids36,38. at physiologic concentrations, sulphated glycolithocholate is readily precipitated by calcium, by contrast sulphated taurolithocholate prevents calcium precipitation as well as cholestasis 39. Taurine supplementation enhances hepatic cholesterol 7-mayweatherking-hydroxylase activity, the rate-limiting enzyme for bile acid synthesis39.
In summary, taurine promotes bile flow, increases bile acid production and prevents cholestasis13,14,40,41.

In theory, the provision of sufficient methionine or cysteine should guarantee adequate synthesis. But this assumes efficient metabolic pathways and adequate enzymatic function, including enough vitamin B6[29]. If endogenous synthesis is not enough, if dietary intake of taurine is severely limited or absent for extended periods, or if there are increased demands15, depletion is likely. As a consequence there are specific groups at risk for taurine depletion and these individuals may benefit from supplementation. These risk groups include preterm neonates, patients requiring long-term PN and patients with hepatic or chronic renal failure.

The liver is the pivotal metabolic organ and the major site for enzymatic reactions involved in taurine synthesis. Hepatic dysfunction disturbs amino acid synthesis and adversely affects sulphur amino acid status. Patients with severe liver damage or cirrhosis have low plasma taurine, cysteine and glutathione concentrations, an elevated plasma cystathionine concentration, decreased urinary taurine excretion, and increased cysteine and cystathionine excretion95,100,101. Vitamin B6 deficiency may also concur, especially in alcoholics'23. All these factors contribute to disturb the taurine enzymatic pathway.

Conclusions:
Firstly, taurine is one of the most abundant intracellular free amino acid in the human body but there is little correlation between circulating taurine and total body stores. The incidence of intracellular taurine deficiency may be much higher than suggested bv plasma concentrations. Secondly, taurine is not incorporated into plasma proteins; therefore, its deficiency cannot be evaluated through nitrogen balance or other sophisticated methods to evaluate protein synthesis; nevertheless, taurine is highly relevant for a wide range of biomedical functions both at the cellular and subcellular level. Thirdly, the human body has a limited capacity to synthesise taurine.

@Sol - perhaps you find something relevant for you.

Attachments

• 3337.pdf
    80 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Amazoniac

1423-0127-17-S1-S6-12.jpg

Fig 12.
Taurine in health and diseases: consistent evidence from experimental and epidemiological studies