Taurine Increases Dopamine Synthesis In The Brain

haidut

Forum Supporter
Taurine is a close analog to GABA and is thought to function through the same "receptors". Ray has mentioned that it would be beneficial. There are multiple studies on oral taurine increasing testosterone in rats by 200% and I have experienced that effects myself, confirmed by saliva hormone tests. I suspected that taurine affects dopamine as it is a GABA "agonist" and all such agents would in theory increase dopamine levels. Here is the study:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00495544

"...DIPA formation, but not 5-HTP formation was significantly enhanced by taurine in dose-related manner in all brain regions studied, indicating an increased synthesis of both dopamine and noradrenaline. Dopamine depletion induced by α-methyltyrosine was significantly retarded by taurine, whereas noradrenaline depletion tended to be enhanced. Endogenous levels of dopamine were increased, whereas the following brain constituents were unchanged: tyrosine, tryptophan, noradrenaline, 5-HT and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid."

So, more dopamine without affecting any of the other transmitters, except possibly lowering adrenalin, which Ray also thinks is a good thing achievable by salt and drugs like clonidine.

Please let us know how it works, im very interested.

You could add in some l-theanine, magnesium, baking soda and bag breathing?

answersfound

Good because I'm addicted to redbull

juanitacarlos

Ben said:
ttramone said:
I've ordered some taurine. Hoping to take it in the evening to help relax.
Did you get any effects?

Hi Ben - I'm OS and have ordered from purebulk.com so still waiting to receive product (in the next few days). Will definitely let you know once I start.

aguilaroja

haidut said:
So, more dopamine without affecting any of the other transmitters, except possibly lowering adrenalin, which Ray also thinks is a good thing achievable by salt and drugs like clonidine.

Taurine is generally neuroprotective and cytoprotective. Some factions are lobbying for research to specify taurine as a neurotransmitter in its own right. It also seems to protect the eye against glutamate toxicity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23170060

Mol Vis. 2012;18:2673-86. Epub 2012 Nov 12.
Review: taurine: a "very essential" amino acid.
Ripps H, Shen W.

PMID: 23170060 PMCID: PMC3501277

"Despite its many functional properties, however, the cellular and biochemical mechanisms mediating the actions of taurine are not fully known. Nevertheless, considering its broad distribution, its many cytoprotective attributes, and its functional significance in cell development, nutrition, and survival, taurine is undoubtedly one of the most essential substances in the body."

Attachments

• Ripps Shen 2012 Taurine–“very essential” amino acid mv-v18-2673.pdf
    789.7 KB · Views: 237

juanitacarlos

Ok. got the taurine today. I'm going to take 3 x 1500mg daily and see what happens. BTW, purebulk/com has a sale on right now. It pisses me off because all the supps I just ordered are now on sale (taurine, tyrosine, BCAA). Happens every time.

Ben

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2994374/

The levels of T and LH were obviously increased by taurine supplementation in rats of different ages, and the level of E was also significantly elevated in baby rats. The levels of SOD, ACP, SDH and NOS were obviously increased by taurine administration in adult rats, but the levels of AKP, AST, ALT and NO were significantly decreased. The levels of SOD, ACP, LDH, SDH, NOS, NO and GSH were significantly elevated by taurine administration in aged rats, but the levels of AST and ALT were significantly decreased. The motility of spermatozoa was obviously increased by taurine supplement in adult rats. The numbers and motility of spermatozoa, the rate of live spermatozoa were significantly increased by taurine supplement in aged rats.

Taurine increases dopamine synthesis in the brain. Dopamine in the brain reward system can increase LH by the HPG axis and increase testosterone production this way in addition to providing some local nutritional nourishment to the testes. However, estrogen increased as well, and usually when LH is high, both testosterone and estrogen are high. The dopamine might have a beneficial effect on learning. I still plan on ordering taurine considering it's on sale (thanks OS), so I'll see if I feel better or worse. I also have random testicular pain, so I'll see if it causes pain by increasing LH, in which case it would indicate inflammation despite the claim in the study that taurine can act as an antioxidant in the testes.

lexis

The amino acids taurine and glycine have similar receptor interaction patterns as GABA. As such, taurine and glycine induce 'inhibitory' effects in the regions of the brain where they are active. Animal studies show that chronically low intake of these amino acids, or their precursors, could lead to irreversible degenerative changes in the brain, eyes, and spinal cord.

http://www.andrewkimblog.com/2013/11/pr ... iples.html

honeybee

Bump. Any good results from the Taurine?

Taurine has been my life support for the past 2-3 weeks against certain catecholamine-like symptoms that I've been dealing with for a very long time, and it enabled me to handle OJ and cheese again. I also feel much more calm, relaxed, at one. Normal, if you will. I think I have overactive adrenals and this is helping.

But, we will see what happens once it runs out, this could all be happening from something else too. I take 2x1000 mg.

mamaherrera

but again I ask, if you do taurine as a woman, do you want an increase in testosterone?? I, having PCOS< don't want symptoms of high androgens, but I would like the calming effects of taurine. Why is everything that is good for you, have to raise testosterone??? And what causes high glutamate?? I have high glutamate.

jyb

Doesn't seem to mix well with water so haven't experimented with it so much yet.

J

j.

mamaherrera said:
but again I ask, if you do taurine as a woman, do you want an increase in testosterone?? I, having PCOS< don't want symptoms of high androgens, but I would like the calming effects of taurine. Why is everything that is good for you, have to raise testosterone??? And what causes high glutamate?? I have high glutamate.

From a Peat perspective testosterone might be helpful with PCOS, considering he blames estrogen for PCOS.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the things that increase testosterone often increase progesterone, e.g., thyroid, vitamin A, sunlight, so maybe the ratio is what's important.

Ben

mamaherrera said:
Yes, it's still a positive hormone in women. It's a hormone that increases motivation and reduces depression and anxiety. The problem comes when there is too little progesterone along with it, and free testosterone and estrogen increase because of this. Estrogen may play a role like jyb said, but free testosterone is most frequently blamed for PCOS. Another thing, progesterone prevents testosterone's conversion into DHT, a hormone that causes androgenic characteristics like deeper voice and facial hair. With generally healthy substances, both progesterone and testosterone rise. In the case of taurine, so you could try it and see if it worsens your PCOS, and increase your dosage of progesterone if it does.

mamaherrera

Thanks so much both of you for explaining that. I do get a bit worried because I'm taking lots of magnesium and then with this taurine, to raise testosterone, but I'm not taking progesterone or thyroid (because I'm nursing) so I'm not sure what else I could do to help progesterone raise and counteract the rises in test. plus someone said it elevates LH and I don't want that, that's another bad sign for PCOS supposedly. I hope my vitamin A and sunlight are raising both hormones (progest/and test) or I'm in big trouble!! but if I'm avoiding PUFA's and dairy more (I don't know how dairy affects hormones directly) but with vitamin E and carrot, hopefully those things are lowering my estrogen and also my free testosterone.

mamaherrera

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMu ... urine.aspx

\this link makes me feel better about taking taurine, as a women. First of all, there are just too many benefits that go along with Peat to make me not want to take it. plus I was tested and shown to be low in taurine. But also, the article says that in women in won't make testosterone too high, and that the more you take, it actually blunts testosterone. Plus if it lowers cortisol and helps fight against oxidative stress, well then it should lower estrogen which will help my body not make extra testosterone to protect against the estrogen.

the only thing, it seems like you have to take a lot to get benefits, and I just purchased a bottle of 500mg tablets, I should've gotten the higher dose ones. Does gelatin have taurine?? But it does seem like cysteine (which is high in gelatin) goes with taurine. so that's a good thing. I will try and continue as long as I don't get any more facial hair!! But if it lowers stress, then my adrenals shouldn't be making more androgens, right?

Ben

Where did you read that it blunts testosterone in women? The source only mentions a study on males, with reassurance that women won't get masculine. Women don't have testes, so some of taurine's testosterone-boosting properties are eliminated, but they do have dopamine. Dopaminergic and anti-serotonergic drugs increase testosterone production. It depends on where the dopamine increase is located. Reward center dopamine stimulates testosterone production (think about how someone feels after a victory), and I think that partially accounts for taurine's testosterone-boosting effects in men.