Taurine Increases Dopamine Synthesis In The Brain

Ben

Also, taurine powder is a much better way to get taurine, and gelatin has little cysteine, which is good because cysteine is antithyroid.

mamaherrera

Ok I got ya, thanks for clearing that up for me (cysteine). In that same article, it said taurine can blunt testosterone (on either sex) at too low of dosages, in that link, I read it, If I understood it right. I don't know how I would get that powder down (I hate terrible tasting things) but now I am hesitant to take even my pills because since my progesterone is probably low (breastfeeding), I wouldn't have enough progesterone to protect all this extra testosterone from converting to DHT, which I don't want. But that's true, not having the male parts, I probably wouldn't get AS much testosterone.

Ben

Taurine is easy to consume. I take a teaspoon and dunk it into my mouth when I have orange juice in it, then drink it down.

Strongbad

Is there any side effect for eating too much taurine food / oversupplementing taurine? And does it have to be complemented by glycine otherwise it won't work?

Gl;itch.e

Strongbad said:
Is there any side effect for eating too much taurine food / oversupplementing taurine? And does it have to be complemented by glycine otherwise it won't work?
You can have it on its own just fine. The only side-effects I've noticed are a. trouble gaining weight b. after a certain amount of saturation (long periods of high doses) sulphur smelling farts and bowel movements! :):

Peata

haidut said:
post 33953 Taurine is a close analog to GABA and is thought to function through the same "receptors". Ray has mentioned that it would be beneficial. There are multiple studies on oral taurine increasing testosterone in rats by 200% and I have experienced that effects myself, confirmed by saliva hormone tests. I suspected that taurine affects dopamine as it is a GABA "agonist" and all such agents would in theory increase dopamine levels. Here is the study:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00495544

"...DIPA formation, but not 5-HTP formation was significantly enhanced by taurine in dose-related manner in all brain regions studied, indicating an increased synthesis of both dopamine and noradrenaline. Dopamine depletion induced by α-methyltyrosine was significantly retarded by taurine, whereas noradrenaline depletion tended to be enhanced. Endogenous levels of dopamine were increased, whereas the following brain constituents were unchanged: tyrosine, tryptophan, noradrenaline, 5-HT and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid."

So, more dopamine without affecting any of the other transmitters, except possibly lowering adrenalin, which Ray also thinks is a good thing achievable by salt and drugs like clonidine.

And so taurine lower serotonin as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
post 119198
haidut said:
post 33953 Taurine is a close analog to GABA and is thought to function through the same "receptors". Ray has mentioned that it would be beneficial. There are multiple studies on oral taurine increasing testosterone in rats by 200% and I have experienced that effects myself, confirmed by saliva hormone tests. I suspected that taurine affects dopamine as it is a GABA "agonist" and all such agents would in theory increase dopamine levels. Here is the study:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00495544

"...DIPA formation, but not 5-HTP formation was significantly enhanced by taurine in dose-related manner in all brain regions studied, indicating an increased synthesis of both dopamine and noradrenaline. Dopamine depletion induced by α-methyltyrosine was significantly retarded by taurine, whereas noradrenaline depletion tended to be enhanced. Endogenous levels of dopamine were increased, whereas the following brain constituents were unchanged: tyrosine, tryptophan, noradrenaline, 5-HT and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid."

So, more dopamine without affecting any of the other transmitters, except possibly lowering adrenalin, which Ray also thinks is a good thing achievable by salt and drugs like clonidine.

And so taurine lower serotonin as well?

There is no human data, and the animal data is mixed just like for theanine. Some studies say it raises serotonin while others say it lowers it. But the studies have strong consensus on taurine increasing testosterone levels, and if a substance was serotonergic in the brain it would not have increased testosterone. Peat wrote that declining levels of serotonin in the brain dramatically increase testosterone synthesis. The drug pCPA is a good example. Finally, taurine on its own and with magnesium has been found to rapidly reverse depression in people. A serotonergic substances would not have that effect.
So, taurine is probably not serotonergic overall.

honeybee

IDK about that at least in my case. I tried taurine (500mg, then 1000 mg, then 250 mg) with and without magnesium and it made me depressed. I did this for 2 weeks. I stopped the taurine and no depression. I am not a depressed person and have never had any depressive tendencies.
Maybe I need to add lysine?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
honeybee said:
post 119234 IDK about that at least in my case. I tried taurine (500mg, then 1000 mg, then 250 mg) with and without magnesium and it made me depressed. I did this for 2 weeks. I stopped the taurine and no depression. I am not a depressed person and have never had any depressive tendencies.
Maybe I need to add lysine?

It could be due to impurities in the products. Anything that irritates your gut will give you the blues temporarily.

Parsifal

Effects of taurine on male reproduction in rats of different ages

Taurine increases dopamine synthesis in the brain. Dopamine in the brain reward system can increase LH by the HPG axis and increase testosterone production this way in addition to providing some local nutritional nourishment to the testes. However, estrogen increased as well, and usually when LH is high, both testosterone and estrogen are high. The dopamine might have a beneficial effect on learning. I still plan on ordering taurine considering it's on sale (thanks OS), so I'll see if I feel better or worse. I also have random testicular pain, so I'll see if it causes pain by increasing LH, in which case it would indicate inflammation despite the claim in the study that taurine can act as an antioxidant in the testes.

It's interesting to see that taurine increases LDH, must not be that good? @haidut

By the way, I have to say that increasing dopamine feels really good for me, I've been taking Tyrosine and it helps me tremendously with my ADHD symptoms (I can concentrate in class and work!) and also with anhedonia and ejaculation anhedonia and my joints that where always stiff even with thyroid are not way more flexible!
I think my main issue has always been very low dopamine and high serotonin. Too bad that it increases LH which could increase oestrogens. Hope I will be able to get a blood test one day and that it will not increase.
Would you have tips people (especially haidut) please to prevent the conversion of dopamine into adrenaline and the conversion of dopamine to oestrogene? Could beta-alanine help to not get too much testo from LH?
I wonder how much amino acids I should take to reduce amonia and bad amino-acids (methionine, cysteine, tryptophan, arginine) and increase dopamine (I'm still eating 80g of animal proteins/day). I have some taurine/glycine/BCAA/tyrosine/lysine and soon some beta-alanine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
It's interesting to see that taurine increases LDH, must not be that good? @haidut

By the way, I have to say that increasing dopamine feels really good for me, I've been taking Tyrosine and it helps me tremendously with my ADHD symptoms (I can concentrate in class and work!) and also with anhedonia and ejaculation anhedonia and my joints that where always stiff even with thyroid are not way more flexible!
I think my main issue has always been very low dopamine and high serotonin. Too bad that it increases LH which could increase oestrogens. Hope I will be able to get a blood test one day and that it will not increase.
Would you have tips people (especially haidut) please to prevent the conversion of dopamine into adrenaline and the conversion of dopamine to oestrogene? Could beta-alanine help to not get too much testo from LH?
I wonder how much amino acids I should take to reduce amonia and bad amino-acids (methionine, cysteine, tryptophan, arginine) and increase dopamine (I'm still eating 80g of animal proteins/day). I have some taurine/glycine/BCAA/tyrosine/lysine and soon some beta-alanine.

Where did you see that taurine increased LDH? The study says no change.
"...As shown in Fig.4, the levels of SOD, ACP, SDH, NOS and NO were obviously increased by taurine administration in adult rats, the levels of AKP, AST and ALT were significantly decreased, but the levels of MDA, LDH and GSH had no changes. However, the levels of MDA, AST and ALT were significantly increased by β-alanine supplement in adult rats, the levels of AKP, LDH, SDH and GSH were obviously reduced, and the levels of SOD, NOS and NO had no changes."

stressucks

Since taking taurine, I've found it easier to just have one drink. In the past I've been the type of person to have one then want one more..then i'm having fun and I want 3 more...

BibleBeliever

Taurine has been my life support for the past 2-3 weeks against certain catecholamine-like symptoms that I've been dealing with for a very long time, and it enabled me to handle OJ and cheese again. I also feel much more calm, relaxed, at one. Normal, if you will. I think I have overactive adrenals and this is helping.

But, we will see what happens once it runs out, this could all be happening from something else too. I take 2x1000 mg.

This is very interesting.
I have had extreme issues with orange juice that I never had before and cheese is the same and I can't figure out why.
Other posts say it helps with glutamate. I notice sometimes consuming gelatin that there is an odd burning in the eyes, with great variance.
I have ordered 400 grams of taurine, so I am hopeful that it may have the same effect; improving my ability to consume orange juice and cheese; (cheese high in histamines; citric acid releases histamines, not sure if this is the cause, but my speculation as to the lack of tolerance).

Thus if it does improve this, then perhaps the conclusion is that if one has gelatin they must have taurine and vice versa. Gelatin however does have a steroid-like effect on the muscles, giving them incredible endurance, increasing the desire to work out significantly and enhancing the mind, while lowering stress levels. If taurine boosts the testosterone then I can only imagine the effects fused together.

Creatine is the only other protein I found worth taking, it gives incredible endurance and strength as well. At first I tried an old one I found in my cupboard, that was clumped; it causes extremely negative effects. I threw it out and bought a fresh one and the effect was dramatically different.

Frankdee20

Taurine is a close analog to GABA and is thought to function through the same "receptors". Ray has mentioned that it would be beneficial. There are multiple studies on oral taurine increasing testosterone in rats by 200% and I have experienced that effects myself, confirmed by saliva hormone tests. I suspected that taurine affects dopamine as it is a GABA "agonist" and all such agents would in theory increase dopamine levels. Here is the study:
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00495544

The study said Taurine had to be administered a specific way in order to reach the brain though ?

CLASH

I would be careful supplementing taurine for extended periods of time. Due to it being a GABA agonist, in sensitive people it may lead to a sort of withdrawal effect. Being a sensitive individual and dosing 1-2g for about 6 months, when I stopped taking it, I developed symptoms that mirrored benzo withdrawal (based on described symptomatology, albeit not as pronounced). These symptoms included some short term memory loss temporarily, some slight GI discomfort and strong sympathetic nervous activation (cold hands, cold feet, inability to relax) with anxiety. While I was on it I had no bad effect besides sedation, which for me was akin to a relaxation with a slight brain fog (a feeling of a blanket covering my frontal cortex just behind my eyes) and some inability to focus extensively (most likely an extensions of the brain fog).

Makrosky

Coincidentally I bought some taurine online from a big shop, supposedly pure without additives. Tried it a couple of times and got a runny nose and a nasty headache. I'm really sure this is because impurities. Be careful with that.

kayumochi

Since taking taurine, I've found it easier to just have one drink. In the past I've been the type of person to have one then want one more..then i'm having fun and I want 3 more...

Bee

Been taking high doses of taurine for several months now and never, ever want a drink anymore ...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals