Taurine/glycine Ratio As A Biomarker Of Stress

Peatress

All that gelatine.......

Jamsey

All that gelatine.......

Considering this is only happening in the liver, it seems likely that this is mostly related to an increase in production of glyco-conjugated bile salts and a decrease in production of taurine-conjugated bile salts based on the availability of glycine. Through a little dive down the rabbit hole of bile acid/salt research, they seem to function very similarly, making bile acids more water soluble and reducing bile acid toxicity among other effects, so I think this is less of a depletion effect and more of a substitution based on availability, or perhaps even a bodily preference for glycoconjugated bile salts.

Possibly relevant research:

Peatress

Considering this is only happening in the liver, it seems likely that this is mostly related to an increase in production of glyco-conjugated bile salts and a decrease in production of taurine-conjugated bile salts based on the availability of glycine. Through a little dive down the rabbit hole of bile acid/salt research, they seem to function very similarly, making bile acids more water soluble and reducing bile acid toxicity among other effects, so I think this is less of a depletion effect and more of a substitution based on availability, or perhaps even a bodily preference for glycoconjugated bile salts.

Possibly relevant research:
Thank you. I wonder if it would be prudent to supplement a little taurine if someone is using a lot of gelatin/glycine?

Jamsey

Thank you. I wonder if it would be prudent to supplement a little taurine if someone is using a lot of gelatin/glycine?
It definitely wouldn’t hurt. But, I also doubt that it’s necessary. As Ray says in,

“Another type of amino acid, taurine, is structurally similar to glycine (and to beta amino propanoic acid, and to GABA)”

So, they are likely very similar in function and likely can substitute for each other in most situations.

Peatress

It definitely wouldn’t hurt. But, I also doubt that it’s necessary. As Ray says in,

“Another type of amino acid, taurine, is structurally similar to glycine (and to beta amino propanoic acid, and to GABA)”

So, they are likely very similar in function and likely can substitute for each other in most situations.
Thanks for reminding me of that quote.

Beatrix_

What an interesting thread... A couple of months ago I found out through experimentation that a combo of MgTau and MgGly works far much better for me than either one alone.

Peatress

I'm going to try mixing in some taurine into my MgGly and see how that works. Thanks @Beatrix_

I've been meaning to read up on Irish history - covid happened and I got distracted. That video is very informative thanks @Elderflower j58
One of my favorite meals is Irish stew made with neck of lamb. Happy days!

I'm going to try mixing in some taurine into my MgGly and see how that works. Thanks @Beatrix_

I've been meaning to read up on Irish history - covid happened and I got distracted. That video is very informative thanks @Elderflower j58
One of my favorite meals is Irish stew made with neck of lamb. Happy days!
Glad you enjoyed it I am Irish myself and I remember my mother's
and grandmothers lamb stew very well, we also had roast stuffed cows heart for a Sunday joint and boiled beef tongue
Oxtail stew every Thursday..... .Aaa
Those halcyon days.

Peatress

Glad you enjoyed it I am Irish myself and I remember my mother's
and grandmothers lamb stew very well, we also had roast stuffed cows heart for a Sunday joint and boiled beef tongue
Oxtail stew every Thursday..... .Aaa
Those halcyon days.
Cool. Could you recommend a good book on Irish history? I particularly interested in the famine years.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals