Taurine Enhances Bioavailability Of Vitamins K, A, D, E

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So taking niacinamide before drinking would be wise? What about thiamine (as you have written in the past) plus niacinamide before drinking?

Both are good. Alcohol depletes thiamine and this is what causes the infamous Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. Niacinamide is precursor to NAD and the NAD is needed to metabolize alcohol by alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenases. So, taking both and maybe a little B2 and B6 (hello Energin) would be even better. I think B6 directly deactivates acetaldehyde and is useful in many pathologies with a build up of aldehydes.

johnwester130

Both are good. Alcohol depletes thiamine and this is what causes the infamous Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. Niacinamide is precursor to NAD and the NAD is needed to metabolize alcohol by alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenases. So, taking both and maybe a little B2 and B6 (hello Energin) would be even better. I think B6 directly deactivates acetaldehyde and is useful in many pathologies with a build up of aldehydes.

Will the ethanol in energin destroy the thiamine ?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Dan W

A couple interesting excerpts/references from the study. Maybe haidut will have some more.

Vitamin D

Influence of dietary taurine on vitamin D absorption
...25OHD3 and 1,25OH2D3 levels were significantly lower in preterm infants fed a taurine-free formula than in infants fed a taurine-enriched formula or human milk.

Vitamin E
On the other hand, it is not excluded that taurine may exert its antioxidative action by conjugation with different types of tocopherols, for example with α-tocopherol, or with similar compounds (Fig. 5) that exist endogenously. Thus taurine may potentially convert water insoluble E vitamins into water soluble forms.

forterpride

Wait...so this entire time we've been needing to consume 35g of fat with our K2 and A?!!! How much taurine should we take then cuz im on a low fat diet

Regina

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ti ... ogen.shtml
"...Estrogen is inactivated, mainly in the liver and brain, by being made water soluble by the attachment of glucuronic acid and/or sulfuric acid."

Taurine is the main source for the production of sulphuric acid, so this supports the theory of taurine helping with estrogen removal. I guess if the main products are glucuronidated and sulfated etsrogens, one could just take a urine estrogen test (which measures both kinds) and compare the levels before and after taurine administration. I would combine this with a blood test for estrogens just to make sure that the increased urine excretion of estrogens is not due to taurine somehow increasing plasma estrogens. Any doctor can order both tests and I think some of the independent vendors like DirectLabs offer urine estrogen tests as well.
(I hope this isn't too too retarded a question): doesn't kombucha have glucuronic acid in it?

Rand56

Very interesting! Never knew this about taurine before. I was getting very dry hands, and particularly my knuckles, and seemed to get worse with Gonadin use. Prior to me knowing this about taurine..I upped my vitamin A intake, plus getting enough zinc with oysters but didn't really alleviate the dryness.

Adding taurine seems to be working so far. Noticeably less dryness. I have to stay low on the taurine because it gives me insomnia at higher doses. So far, only 500 mg's per day seems to be doing the trick. I can't put my finger on it if the less dryness is due to anything else, so I'll go with adding in the taurine.

Ron J

@haidut
Several members are on no fat/low fat, and I plan to lower fat even more, possibly no fat; what do you think is the absorption in no fat, of a 15mg MK4 pill? Currently I mix a tablespoon of coconut oil(14g fat) with MK4 and 1.5 grams of taurine for the two first meals(no other fat source, mostly minuscule amounts in protein), and I wonder how much of those 15mg I'm actually absorbing.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut
Several members are on no fat/low fat, and I plan to lower fat even more, possibly no fat; what do you think is the absorption in no fat, of a 15mg MK4 pill? Currently I mix a tablespoon of coconut oil(14g fat) with MK4 and 1.5 grams of taurine for the two first meals(no other fat source, mostly minuscule amounts in protein), and I wonder how much of those 15mg I'm actually absorbing.

Human studies showed that vitamin K absorbs even with very little fat but it is the most "fat-loving" of the vitamins so the more fat (up to 35g per meal) you eat the better it absorbs. I don't know how much less vitamin K you will absorb in the absence of fat, but judging from the few studies I have seen, I think only about 30% of the vitamin K gets absorb in a low fat environment.
http://jpharmsci.org/article/S0022-3549(15)50149-4/pdf

So, on a low fat diet I would try vitamin K topically to circumvent the fat requirements.

Hiwatt

I have supplemented Taurine 2g per day with my anti hair loss regime. I am convinced it is an asset vs TGF-B1. Now that I see all the other benefits listed in this thread I am even more convinced of its value. It's also good for eye strain. I have an eye muscle imbalance (congenital superior oblique paresis) and since Taurine supplementation my need for prism adjustment in my lenses from heavy computer use has dissipated.

"Another study conducted in 2008 (Collin et al.) analyses taurine in relation to (TGF)-β — a protein that may cause hair loss. Taurine is involved in many physiological functions among which the immunomodulatory and antifibrotic functions. The researchers used taurine on in-vitro hair follicles. The observations concluded that taurine protects the hair follicle from the effects of (TGF)-β1 as well as promoting hair survival."

Read more at Taurine for Hair Growth -- the Most Effective Amino Acid for Fighting Hair Loss?

Wolf

Taurine seems to always cause a massive bile release for me. Found an Ajipure 500mg variant that I'll try and hopefully it will do some good.

Vinny

I personally notice thick and foamy urine after taking taurine. Maybe it's that.
Still having foamy urine, man?
There is a thread about it by yerrag, if you wanna chime in

Vinny

Still having foamy urine, man?
There is a thread about it by yerrag, if you wanna chime in
Sorry, not yerrag, but Dave M

Sorry, not yerrag, but Dave M

I think it goes by stress levels and how much water you drink. If you don't drink any water it will be foamy even if you are not stressed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals