Taurine Enhances Bioavailability Of Vitamins K, A, D, E

haidut

Forum Supporter
The fat soluble vitamins are a great tool to help metabolism and improve overall health. However their oral usage is sometimes hindered by their requirements for ingestion of fat. In the case of vitamin K2 (MK-4) the fat requirement can be large (35g+) and thus inconvenient to implement while on the go or when restricting fat intake for various purposes.
This study claims that taurine improves the oral bioavailability of all fat-soluble vitamins and especially vitamins A and K.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11128549

"...In the literature taurine is characterized as a non-specific growth or blood clotting factor, an antioxidant, a membrane protector, or a regulator of calcium ion homeostasis, just as vitamins A, D, E, F, and K are similarly characterized. On the basis of recent finding concerning the relationship between taurine and the aldehyde of vitamin A-retinal (Petrosian and Haroutounian, 1988, 1998; Petrosian et al., 1996), as well as on the basis of data from the literature, we now suggest a hypothesis that taurine promotes the bioavailability of the lipid soluble vitamins A, D, E, K, and F, probably by forming different types of water soluble, easily hydrolyzable complexes. It is quite possible that the ability of taurine to convert lipids and lipid soluble substances into a water soluble state is the key to understanding the unusually wide diversity of biological phenomena associated with taurine."

If somebody can get the article and PM it to me I can post more detailed info such as suggested dosages, etc.

Perhaps it can allow the excretion of fats.

paymanz

it also can increase taurine glycine ratio in bile , which is good sometimes as in some disorders this ratio is so low.it also makes good quality bile which itself has stimulating effect on cell metabolism.

LucH

Such_Saturation said:
Taurine facilitates manufacture of bile salts (taurocholates) that emulsify meal fat, which allows a better action of pancreatic lipase on the fat, so a better digestion.

Taurine is also used to bring the magnesium in the cells and in neurons among others ... It serves as Mg carrier. B6 facilitates retention.
LucH

NathanK

LucH said:
Such_Saturation said:
Taurine facilitates manufacture of bile salts (taurocholates) that emulsify meal fat, which allows a better action of pancreatic lipase on the fat, so a better digestion.

Taurine is also used to bring the magnesium in the cells and in neurons among others ... It serves as Mg carrier. B6 facilitates retention.

Nice, if someone were to feel strong effects from supplementing taurine, do you think that says something about the person's digestion or assimilation of nutrients? It's intrigued me that I've seen some feel great after supplementing and others hardly noticing anything.

No I'm saying it could allow you to excrete fat in the urine. Taurine in the kidney is tightly regulated.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
No I'm saying it could allow you to excrete fat in the urine. Taurine in the kidney is tightly regulated.

So, in theory that would help the excretion of PUFA and/or steroids like estrogen? We already know that taurine keeps PUFA oxidation under control, if it could also help excrete it by making it more water soluble that would be great.

haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:

So, in theory that would help the excretion of PUFA and/or steroids like estrogen? We already know that taurine keeps PUFA oxidation under control, if it could also help excrete it by making it more water soluble that would be great.

But how can that be measured?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:

But how can that be measured?

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ti ... ogen.shtml
"...Estrogen is inactivated, mainly in the liver and brain, by being made water soluble by the attachment of glucuronic acid and/or sulfuric acid."

Taurine is the main source for the production of sulphuric acid, so this supports the theory of taurine helping with estrogen removal. I guess if the main products are glucuronidated and sulfated etsrogens, one could just take a urine estrogen test (which measures both kinds) and compare the levels before and after taurine administration. I would combine this with a blood test for estrogens just to make sure that the increased urine excretion of estrogens is not due to taurine somehow increasing plasma estrogens. Any doctor can order both tests and I think some of the independent vendors like DirectLabs offer urine estrogen tests as well.

I personally notice thick and foamy urine after taking taurine. Maybe it's that.

Makrosky

Such_Saturation said:
I personally notice thick and foamy urine after taking taurine. Maybe it's that.

So if one adopts a diet with very few PUFA and more Sat fat, can it also make the urine foamy since you will be slowly removing PUFA from your body ? Does this make sense ?

aguilaroja

Such_Saturation said:

While taurine may have specific effects, high ("excess") protein/amino acid intake can cause high amino acids in the urine, resulting in foamy urine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
aguilaroja said:
Such_Saturation said:

While taurine may have specific effects, high ("excess") protein/amino acid intake can cause high amino acids in the urine, resulting in foamy urine.

Yes, proteinuria is usually what's causing the foamy urine. However, as Ray mentioned, having high levels of stress hormones can also make the urine foamy. You can notice it during/after drinking alcohol as it depletes liver glycogen (which will result in higher adrenalin and cortisol) while at the same time inhibiting gluconeogenesis. One way to prevent this from happening is by taking niacinamide.

Well I also get it from a teaspoon of glycine. Perhaps I am flushing money :ss

mirc12354

The fat soluble vitamins are a great tool to help metabolism and improve overall health. However their oral usage is sometimes hindered by their requirements for ingestion of fat. In the case of vitamin K2 (MK-4) the fat requirement can be large (35g+) and thus inconvenient to implement while on the go or when restricting fat intake for various purposes.
This study claims that taurine improves the oral bioavailability of all fat-soluble vitamins and especially vitamins A and K.

Taurine as a universal carrier of lipid soluble vitamins: a hypothesis. - PubMed - NCBI

"...In the literature taurine is characterized as a non-specific growth or blood clotting factor, an antioxidant, a membrane protector, or a regulator of calcium ion homeostasis, just as vitamins A, D, E, F, and K are similarly characterized. On the basis of recent finding concerning the relationship between taurine and the aldehyde of vitamin A-retinal (Petrosian and Haroutounian, 1988, 1998; Petrosian et al., 1996), as well as on the basis of data from the literature, we now suggest a hypothesis that taurine promotes the bioavailability of the lipid soluble vitamins A, D, E, K, and F, probably by forming different types of water soluble, easily hydrolyzable complexes. It is quite possible that the ability of taurine to convert lipids and lipid soluble substances into a water soluble state is the key to understanding the unusually wide diversity of biological phenomena associated with taurine."

If somebody can get the article and PM it to me I can post more detailed info such as suggested dosages, etc.

How much taurine should one take with K2 (MK-4) to get the same level of its bioavailability as 35g of fat?

Could taking K2 with taurine help with (prevent some of) the side-effects at high oral daily doses of 15mg+ (insomnia, etc.)? I was also wondering if taking the transdermal route (Kuinone) with high doses K2 could also prevent some of the side effects of high oral doses?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
How much taurine should one take with K2 (MK-4) to get the same level of its bioavailability as 35g of fat?

Could taking K2 with taurine help with (prevent some of) the side-effects at high oral daily doses of 15mg+ (insomnia, etc.)? I was also wondering if taking the transdermal route (Kuinone) with high doses K2 could also prevent some of the side effects of high oral doses?

Human studies with cystic fibrosis leading to deficiency of fat absorption showed that even 2g taurine restored normal fat absorption after 1 month. There is no data that I know of showing how much taurine you need to get the equivalent of X grams of fat for absorbing vitamin K. But taking the 1g-2g taurine daily should at least ensure that wharever fat you eat you absorb it and the fat soluble vitamins that depend on it.

dfspcc20

Taurine is degraded by heat, correct? Do you think it's possible to get enough from food alone, considering most of the food we eat is cooked or pasteurized?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Taurine is degraded by heat, correct? Do you think it's possible to get enough from food alone, considering most of the food we eat is cooked or pasteurized?

Scallops and cod have high content of taurine so that would one good food source. All amino acids are sensitive to heat, including the bad ones like tryptophan and cysteine. So the processed food has an unintended good side effects of being low on some of the bad amino acids due to processing. On the flip side, we don't know what those aminos got broken down into. Could be something even more toxic...

mirc12354

Yes, proteinuria is usually what's causing the foamy urine. However, as Ray mentioned, having high levels of stress hormones can also make the urine foamy. You can notice it during/after drinking alcohol as it depletes liver glycogen (which will result in higher adrenalin and cortisol) while at the same time inhibiting gluconeogenesis. One way to prevent this from happening is by taking niacinamide.
So taking niacinamide before drinking would be wise? What about thiamine (as you have written in the past) plus niacinamide before drinking?