Taurine: At High Doses, Could It Become Anxiogenic Instead Of Anxiolytic?

zanolachino

Taurine (together with other things that are generally pro-GABA, anti-glutamate) has been mildly helpful to me in terms of nervous system agitation and insomnia. But I was reluctant to experiment with dosages higher than a gram or so until I discovered how far some of you are going with it.

Two nights ago I took about 8g before bed and had a better than usual sleep. The effect was subtle, however. I was hoping that it would really knock me out. (The only thing that works reliably to do that is a fairly high dose of ethanol, which has its disadvantages.)

Last night I increased the dosage to roughly 12g and had a miserable, mostly sleepless night. Do you remember the story of Jacob wrestling all night with the angel? I felt as if I was wrestling all night with a heart attack.

I can come up with a few hypotheses as to why taurine could have had this effect but am not sure that I find any of them convincing. I welcome your thoughts.

nograde

You increased your insulin sensitivity and burned through your reserves more quickly?

OP
Z

zanolachino

nograde said:
post 106166 You increased your insulin sensitivity and burned through your reserves more quickly?

Thank you, nograde. This is a good thought, but I am doubtful, as I had a large serving of ice cream about an hour before the 12g dose of taurine. Moreover, the agitation kicked in soon after taking the taurine -- in other words, at a point where there ought to have been ample sugar in circulation. I find it hard to believe that I could have burned through it so quickly.

I feel that there must be another explanation.

For what it is worth, these last two nights I reduced the dosage to 4g and was able to sleep again, but overall agitation remains much higher than before starting this taurine experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarmander

Taurine is really dose dependent. When I first started experimenting, I took small amounts like 200-500mg and it literally made me feel insane. It was terrible. So I quit, but I decided a few months later to give it another try. I said screw it, I'll try a lot, so I did 5g and felt very relaxed. For the past week or so I've been doing 4-6g per day which seems like the sweet spot for me. Remember also, after about a month you'll be saturated and probably won't need to take it for awhile.

Lin

I have been taking 500-1000 mg at bedtime, and it really helps me sleep.
This morning, I tried 1000 mg taurine, with my coffee and a 200 mg caffeine capsule!
I was SO RELAXED... Could hardly get out of the sofa.
Then, I was hungry, especially for carbs, the rest of the day... I know I ate too much. That insulin effect really kicked in!

ddjd

I have been taking 500-1000 mg at bedtime, and it really helps me sleep.
This morning, I tried 1000 mg taurine, with my coffee and a 200 mg caffeine capsule!
I was SO RELAXED... Could hardly get out of the sofa.
Then, I was hungry, especially for carbs, the rest of the day... I know I ate too much. That insulin effect really kicked in!
isn't that the combo in red bull?

I really like Red Bull, I think the ingredient quality (UK) is good o_O:angelic:. Red Bull gets a bad rap because (mostly) Children where buying 2-3 cans a day, like all things moderation is key.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom