Taurin/Beta-alanine conncection

Kasper

Due to Taurine and Beta-alanine sharing the same transporter, a taurine deficiency can be experimentally induced by beta-alanine overfeeding, and this relative taurine deficiency may be coupled with some risks such as more susceptability to Alcohol-induced liver fat buildup[126] (something taurine normally protects against).[127] The aforementioned liver study used a fairly small dose of beta-alanine for rats (3% drinking water) but coupled it with a moderately large alcohol intake (36% of caloric intake)[126] although this dose of beta-alanine has also been noted to induce cardiac effects in mice including remodelling[123] and lipid peroxidation.[128]

In animals, this 3% intake of beta-alanine in water may reduce circulating taurine levels by 50%[129] to 77%[123] and may reduce cardiac levels of taurine by 16.6-22.7%.[128]

http://examine.com/supplements/Beta-Alanine/#summary9-1

So I was thinking that high dosage of taurine may deplete beta-alanine on the other hand.
And beta-alanine is the rate limiting enzyme of carnosine production, which "the internet" talks about if it is some kind of magical molecule for health. Not sure, didn't really research it.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Kasper said:
Due to Taurine and Beta-alanine sharing the same transporter, a taurine deficiency can be experimentally induced by beta-alanine overfeeding, and this relative taurine deficiency may be coupled with some risks such as more susceptability to Alcohol-induced liver fat buildup[126] (something taurine normally protects against).[127] The aforementioned liver study used a fairly small dose of beta-alanine for rats (3% drinking water) but coupled it with a moderately large alcohol intake (36% of caloric intake)[126] although this dose of beta-alanine has also been noted to induce cardiac effects in mice including remodelling[123] and lipid peroxidation.[128]

In animals, this 3% intake of beta-alanine in water may reduce circulating taurine levels by 50%[129] to 77%[123] and may reduce cardiac levels of taurine by 16.6-22.7%.[128]

http://examine.com/supplements/Beta-Alanine/#summary9-1

So I was thinking that high dosage of taurine may deplete beta-alanine on the other hand.
And beta-alanine is the rate limiting enzyme of carnosine production, which "the internet" talks about if it is some kind of magical molecule for health. Not sure, didn't really research it.

If you dig some more you will see that the dosage that depletes the other amino acid is very high and you can probably never reach it with supplementation. The dosage used in rats was 6,000mg/kg and higher, so for a human that would be almost 70g. I don't know of anybody who has managed to take 70g of beta alanine or taurine. So, you are probably safe at normal levels. I was confused about that myself but it seems that at normal dosing taking both should not be a problem for anybody.