Tarmanders Auto-Immune Log

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

EMF Story:

This last March, work really started to pick up. During the week, I had Sunday off and a slower Monday, but every other day I was on the road, working hard, and enduring a higher amount of stress. So it was not surprising when my sleep started to suffer. This usually happens when I work more, so it did not bother me too much. April rolled around and was even busier then March, so same story, but sleep became even worse. At the end of April I got into a pattern where I would sleep 7-8 hours one night, and then get maybe 4 hours the night after. The next day I was so tired, I would collapse that night and get 7-8 hours, rinse and repeat. During this time I also noticed that I was pushing my metabolism. I have a medley of supplements available, and I was taking extra MB, riboflavin, B1, estroban, coffee, etc almost impulsively. Basically I was always grabbing something, pushing my energy levels.

May started, and was not as busy as April. Things were slowing down and I was slated for a vacation on an Alaskan cruise at the end of the month. Oddly though, my sleep got even worse. Around 10pm I would become immediately awake. I would have energy rushes through my body, buzzing in my ears, restless leg, twitching muscles. I would usually fall asleep around 12am, only to wake at 3am with many of the same feelings. I would fall back asleep at 5am, and wake a couple hours later to start the day.

After the first week of May, I had a night where I barely slept at all. I laid awake until 4am when I finally fell asleep for a couple hours. I started to have sleepless nights followed by sleeping the next night for 10 hours, then another sleepless night.

Let me tell you, there is nothing like lying awake a whole night to force you to start looking at some of your life decisions. I got a lot of time to think, and I felt pretty bad about most things. I stopped taking most of my supplements. I was getting pretty desperate and feeling worse about myself every day. I also became a bit afraid of my bed. It sounds weird, but I was starting to have anxiety almost constantly at the thought of going to sleep. Was this going to be another sleepless night?

I didn’t quit all my supplements. I found I could not do without Niacinamide. It was the one light in the tunnel for helping me calm down. Calcium taken in the morning was also a help, not really in falling asleep but staying asleep through that 3am hour.

I am sure you probably know where this is going from the title of the story. At the end of May, I went on a cruise to Alaska. I slept great. It was such a fun time and the buffet had some Peaty things I could eat. So it was awesome. The night I came back from a full day of travel, I did not sleep a wink. As I lay there, staring at my ceiling, unable to stay still, constantly moving my legs, a beautiful thought popped into my head.

A neighbor of mine back in March had said to me “you got a new meter!” as I was walking by...I did not think anything of it at the time. But that sleepless night, I remembered that she had said that, so I got up and got a flashlight. I went out back behind my apartment, and I found a bay of 11 brand new smart meters installed about 30 feet from where I was sleeping.

Connections started rapidly coming together in my head. Why didn’t I notice better sleep when I turned my Wifi off anymore? I had started doing that last year and it made a difference in my sleep quality, but recently it did not seem to matter. Why do I feel like compulsively making ‘to do lists,’ impulsively taking supplements, and unable to sit still for any amount of time? Why can’t I sit in front of my computer for longer than an hour before feeling sick? Why does vitamin K make me sleep wonderfully (lowering calcium in the blood), but I wake up dizzy and groggy?

I called my mom around 2:45am and said “I think there is something wrong with my apartment, can I sleep at your place?” I went to her house, relaxed and fell asleep quickly. The next day I started doing research, and this is what I have found:

•EMFs from Wifi, phones, ipads, and smart meters affect calcium channels specifically. It is complicated, but in simplistic terms, they cause stress in a cell which then releases calcium from its mitochondria into your blood stream to stimulate your metabolism in response to stress. Basically, when I went to sleep at night, the EMFs would stimulate my metabolism by releasing calcium into my blood stream. You can read more about it here:

[WIKI] Voltage Gate Calcium Channels (VGCC) • /r/Electromagnetics

Also, any search for EMF and haidut’s name will bring up studies that detail EMF and their actions. Basically, Niacinamide directly helped my metabolism and kept me resilient to the metabolism lowering effects of EMF. Calcium stimulated my metabolism, and caused my cells to release less calcium into my blood stream. Both of these supplements, while helpful, were not able to completely get rid of the effects of EMF. I consider Niacinamide a crucial supplement to be taking if you want to live in the modern world.

•I bought a Cornet electrosmog meter. This meter has dual function and can detect both radio frequencies given off by wifi and smart meters (100mhz -8ghz) as well as low frequency magnetic fields from power lines and appliances (50hz-10khz). I bought from this website for around $140, and they have great service if you are interested (no affiliation):

Stop Smart Meters! Online Store | Stop Smart Meters!

I watched this youtube video on how to use it:

•I measured everything. I found that my apartment has basically turned into a cell phone tower. Luckily I found a spot to sleep that is relatively lower than the hottest parts of my place, but I need to move. I have attached pictures showing the reading from where I used to sleep, and the other room which I sleep in now. I also noticed patterns in the strength of the EMFs in my apartment. 10am and 3am, for whatever reason, were much much higher in readings then normal. Go figure

Old Room: old room.jpg

New Room: new room.jpg

•The recommended levels of safe EMFs from Wifi are .01 mw/m2 for sleeping and .1 mw/m2 for day time/working. Through testing, I have noticed that I start to feel the symptoms I described around .12 (can’t relax, fidgety, compulsive, etc). I think everyone is different in their tolerance. Obviously before the smart meters were installed, I was okay enough to sleep with Wifi and my ipad etc. My mom’s house, which I measured and found very low in radio frequencies, has a smart meter installed, and I do not have a problem there. I think 11 of them, so close to where I sleep, is too many for my body to deal with, but I have read about people reacting to much lower levels.

In fact I read a lot of stories of people going through hell, getting tests done, visiting multiple doctors and neurologist to try and find out what was causing these same symptoms I was experiencing. I felt sad reading their accounts of mysterious insanity. I even feel a little crazy myself when I tell someone about it.

In conclusion, this really ****88 with me, I have to move, and it is a giant hassle. But God am I happy I figured this out. For a while there, I did not think I was going to make it. I thought I would not sleep, they would check me into a mental institute, drug me up, and that would be it for me. I am happy to report that although my place is still pretty messed up, I am now sleeping through most of the night by avoiding staying long in certain rooms and places. I have to kind of sleep in a corner, but whatever at least I am sleeping.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

Wow! Thanks for sharing!! There was a very clear reason for your poor sleep and I'm glad you figured it out! I put a faraday cage over my smart meter because our living space is right near it
Can't tell in quality of sleep though I wish I had a meter it might answer questions I have.

I have to use cyproheptadine every now and then or I just get more and more adrenaline, it's supposedly a calcium channel blocker as well. So maybe that could useful for you.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Wow! Thanks for sharing!! There was a very clear reason for your poor sleep and I'm glad you figured it out! I put a faraday cage over my smart meter because our living space is right near it
Can't tell in quality of sleep though I wish I had a meter it might answer questions I have.

I have to use cyproheptadine every now and then or I just get more and more adrenaline, it's supposedly a calcium channel blocker as well. So maybe that could useful for you.

That is really interesting. I did not know cypro was a calcium channel blocker. I have avoided experimenting with drugs, but I know blocking calcium channels can potentially cure type 2 diabetes, and many of the symptoms of restlessness and leg problems are shared with blood sugar issues...wow so many connections

Birdie

Makes sense that you want to move Tarmander. I need to move but can't get going on it....

Never heard of a faraday cage, but my husband, a physicist, says that it will enclose a space so that inside the cage will not be affected by radiation/electromagnetic waves outside. So that experiments can be done within the cage. It doesn't protect on the outside though unfortunately.

Birdie

@Tarmander,
Thanks. I copied out your EMF story and sent it to my husband. We've been leaving the internet on at night. Husband says it's so I can read if I wake up early. We're going to change that so it's off at night.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

@Tarmander,
Thanks. I copied out your EMF story and sent it to my husband. We've been leaving the internet on at night. Husband says it's so I can read if I wake up early. We're going to change that so it's off at night.

You may notice a difference. For me, the best way to describe it, is a feeling of quietness when there are no radio waves around. Similar to how if you sat in nature, you might hear things all around you, but there is a space and silence that is tough to completey describe.

I used to just unplug everything to turn off my wifi, but now I go into my router settings at (http://192.168.1.1/) and just disable the "radio" option. That way I can still have internet on my computer, and still have the router on, but without it broadcasting.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Low Fat Experiment:

So I am hoping you guys can help me a bit with this one. From the writings of West Side and Tyw, I decided to try a low fat diet for a while. This was not my first low fat rodeo, I had tried it before with No fat milk, OJ, and potatoes. I always found that after a day or two I had this constant empty feeling in my stomach, I could not sit still, and could not sleep. So I would go back to dousing things with coconut oil, and eating coconut oil ice cream. The world would return to normal.

So back in May I started doing low fat with Rice and lo and behold it worked great. I was able to eat rice and honey for three meals a day, along with OJ, liver, eggs, and some supplementation to cover nutrient short falls. My stomach did not get bloated, and I was probably eating about a pound of rice per day with 59oz of OJ, and some eggs. For the first couple weeks I felt GREAT. I mean it was not all positive, I still had blood sugar spikes, I still had some endotoxin issues and tiredness after a meal, but I also had improvement in a lot of ways. I noticed I just felt younger. I looked more filled out in places like my shoulders and arms, and less filled out in places like my stomach and lower back. Carbs are IT.

Well after about a month, I started not feeling so good. The joint pain started at first in the knees, which was expected okay no biggie. But then I started to get muscle fatigue in my legs. They felt like lead weights that I was lugging around. They also HURT. I started waking up and being sore all over, shoulder, knees, lower back. My kidneys hurt too. After every meal of rice and honey my heart rate would slam higher, easily above 100bpm. I felt constantly out of breath; going up one flight of stairs almost caused hyperventilation. I also started to get shakes in my hands. Like tremors and my muscles would misfire. I would go to grab something and I would twitch and it would fly across the room. Kind of scary…

I pushed on though. I had lost some weight and thought I was going through PUFA detox. I took extra aspirin and B3 and B1. The supplements I was on at the time were really simple: In the morning b1, b3, Magnesium, cinnamon, and occasionally aspirin. At night I was taking Zinc and L-theanine.

Over the years, I have learned how to spot that certain point when things are getting worse, and it is your fault. My hands were still shaking, my heart rate was ALWAYS elevated, and I was having a really hard time even moving. Depressed as well, no libido, which was weird, and I just felt bad. I did some investigating. I found this:

The GP who gave up fruit and veg to cure her aches and pains

This lady described my symptoms to a ‘T’ and I looked into what Oxalates I was eating. Brown rice, check, and lots of OJ, check. I was consuming a large amount of Oxalates. So I decided to cut them out. I got lemonade, cherry juice, cranberry, apple…basically all low oxalate juices. I stuck with white short grain rice now as well, went lower on honey, and it has made a BIG difference. Less joint paint, knees better, less muscle fatigue, less tremors, and less everything else bad. Going in the right direction.

So today, while reading up, I come across this:

Graves’ Disease Symptoms

These are the symptoms of Graves’ disease. They match what I have been going through EXACTLY: Hyperthyroidism, the rare unicorn.

So what do you guys think? Am I hyperthyroid? Did I just have an overload of Oxalates? The joint pain has been slowly disappearing, but it definitely is not all gone. My left shoulder killed me today and that is not normal. I still get a hand shake here and there but they seem to be calming down.

Also, maybe a bit concerning, but my pulse is always over 100 now. In fact it is usually between 110 and 120. As I write this is it 116 and my SpO2 is at 96. I ate 2.5 hours ago. Is that a little concerning like it seems it should be? My temps are almost always above 98, sometimes above 98.6. Even in the morning it hits 97.8 which seemed impossible to hit just six months ago. I should also say that even with this high pulse, I do not seem to be experiencing adrenaline rushes. It is 117 degrees here where I live, but I do not get cold hands, feet, and cold sweats that I usually associate with adrenaline.

The pulse thing is a bit concerning to me. I started adding in more saturated fats today, maybe that will help………. I don’t feel all that bad. I am still out of breath sometimes. Opinions?

InChristAlone

I too am trying out a lower fat diet thanks to @Westside PUFAs and @tyw mostly because I seem to be getting worse on 80-100 g of fat with high fructose. Really don't want fatty liver! So the first day of doing more fruit and white rice I did notice aches and pains. I had halved my fat intake to 50 g, and so was trying to figure out if it was just the drop in calories as I struggle with food quantity. But your experience is making me think oxalates as well, been drinking more oj. I wasn't having potatoes which usually cause joint pain. Are you doing plenty of calories? I think carbs are so good at increasing metabolism we then end up needing more calories that fat used to fill in the place for. It could be the reason for your tachycardia. Although I've experience tachy without going low fat and I've never really figured out the cause besides just not enough food. Also remember in youreatopia.com lots of people experience faster heart rate when increasing easily digested foods. Your normal temp would say that its not too much thyroid hormones. But its good that its not adrenaline, my faster pulse is usually accompanied by other troubling symptoms.

What was your diet like before going low fat? Why no dairy? How is your calcium intake? Have you maybe become a bit anemic?

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

I too am trying out a lower fat diet thanks to @Westside PUFAs and @tyw mostly because I seem to be getting worse on 80-100 g of fat with high fructose. Really don't want fatty liver! So the first day of doing more fruit and white rice I did notice aches and pains. I had halved my fat intake to 50 g, and so was trying to figure out if it was just the drop in calories as I struggle with food quantity. But your experience is making me think oxalates as well, been drinking more oj. I wasn't having potatoes which usually cause joint pain. Are you doing plenty of calories? I think carbs are so good at increasing metabolism we then end up needing more calories that fat used to fill in the place for. It could be the reason for your tachycardia. Although I've experience tachy without going low fat and I've never really figured out the cause besides just not enough food. Also remember in youreatopia.com lots of people experience faster heart rate when increasing easily digested foods. Your normal temp would say that its not too much thyroid hormones. But its good that its not adrenaline, my faster pulse is usually accompanied by other troubling symptoms.

What was your diet like before going low fat? Why no dairy? How is your calcium intake? Have you maybe become a bit anemic?

Yeah I was in the same boat. Eating a lot of coconut oil, which had some definite benefits, but the liver was getting fattier.

I thought I was doing enough calories. The amount of rice and OJ I was doing, easily around 3000cal. But you have an interesting point. Perhaps the Tachy comes from not enough food...but man it would be hard to eat anymore.

I do dairy in my coffee, and before low fat yeah I was doing maybe a pint of milk per day. I took it out because Westside alluded that perhaps some of the endotoxin or digestive distress I was having with so much rice could be caused by the dairy. Calcium was one of those things that I was supplementing with Egg shells to make up for the lack of it in my diet.

The anemia thing is interesting. I had no thought of that, but some of my symptoms, like the libido, got a lot worse after I gave blood like a month ago. Can anemia cause tachy then?

InChristAlone

Yes anemia can cause fast heart rate and shortness of breath, but a blood test could rule that out pretty quickly. And you said you still do liver so I have my doubts.

Maybe egg shells aren't agreeing with you? If I were to go low calcium I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with egg shells, especially if they weren't ground down to the finest powder. Maybe try soaking them in lemon juice first too to react some of the alkalinity.

@natedawggh has a blog post about doing low fat, and he said to stay away from grains. He also says if things are uncomfortable to have some butter! How To Do A Low-Fat Diet

InChristAlone

Did you mention you have also been experiencing stress reactions from protein?? I have been managing my post breakfast tachycardia by eating lots of carbs, but today I was feeling lightheaded after rice and 1 TBS sweetened condensed milk so I ate a hot dog and had some sweetened black tea with 1 oz milk. I'm now having my 11 am reaction. Ugh!!

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Yes anemia can cause fast heart rate and shortness of breath, but a blood test could rule that out pretty quickly. And you said you still do liver so I have my doubts.

Maybe egg shells aren't agreeing with you? If I were to go low calcium I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with egg shells, especially if they weren't ground down to the finest powder. Maybe try soaking them in lemon juice first too to react some of the alkalinity.

@natedawggh has a blog post about doing low fat, and he said to stay away from grains. He also says if things are uncomfortable to have some butter! How To Do A Low-Fat Diet

Eggshells are okay. They actually help with the oxalates too and they are very fine ground with a coffee grinder. You can definitely do too much eggshell, and feel amazing for a day and then crash, so you have to do small amounts. I like Nate's blog post, had some good points. The best for me I think is just to eat Fat when things start to go haywire. I woke up this morning very tired, but very little joint pain. I just moved a bunch of boxes to my car which would not have been possible a few weeks ago. So I think the Fat is a bit critical for me. I am going to try and ride that edge where I do low fat, and then eat fat when I start to feel a little off, then go back to low fat, etc.

Did you mention you have also been experiencing stress reactions from protein?? I have been managing my post breakfast tachycardia by eating lots of carbs, but today I was feeling lightheaded after rice and 1 TBS sweetened condensed milk so I ate a hot dog and had some sweetened black tea with 1 oz milk. I'm now having my 11 am reaction. Ugh!!

Yes I definitely found that the higher the carbs I did (probably the honey), the more sensitive to Protein I was. I would do some chicken, or some Casein powder, and I would not sleep the whole night and felt like bugs were crawling under my skin. I stopped drinking milk before going to bed for this very reason. So I definitely backed off on the protein with the rice and honey deal. I put my diet into Cronometer and it said I was getting about 60g of protein a day, so I called it good. I asked Westside about it, to see if he had come across anything like that, and he never answered me. 11am reaction sucks!

Bluebell

Hi Tarmander, thanks for sharing your EMF story, really interesting. I read on about your very low fat Experiment. I wondered if maybe your joint pain, soreness, heaviness, high pulse, kidney pain, shakes, depression could due to blood sugar issues, and that you needed fat to slow down the absorption of sugar from your diet.

Then when you changed your diet, it might have been the reduction in honey/OJ unopposed by fat that improved your symptoms, and you were helped by mostly white rice because it released sugar much more slowly. I wonder if every meal was balanced with carbs/protein/fat you might feel better.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Hi Tarmander, thanks for sharing your EMF story, really interesting. I read on about your very low fat Experiment. I wondered if maybe your joint pain, soreness, heaviness, high pulse, kidney pain, shakes, depression could due to blood sugar issues, and that you needed fat to slow down the absorption of sugar from your diet.

Then when you changed your diet, it might have been the reduction in honey/OJ unopposed by fat that improved your symptoms, and you were helped by mostly white rice because it released sugar much more slowly. I wonder if every meal was balanced with carbs/protein/fat you might feel better.

Yeah I have definitely felt better since adding fat back into my diet, along with protein in each meal. My joint pain has resolved pretty much as well since the experiment. I think you are also correct that my issues may have been blood sugar related, but I will add this caveat. I would often have blood sugars that tested in the 80-120 range, and still have leg pains and all the other issues I mentioned above. I think there could be a delay in your blood stream blood sugar reading compared to tissue levels. The point of the experiment was to try and resolve some of the issues with weight gain and insulin resistance that tyw and westside said may be resolved with a low fat diet.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Tar, can you give a breakdown of your macros lately?

Sure, today it looked something like this: I could not find a coconut ice cream, but I had a couple bites of that which is not included. The PUFA comes from 3 Eggs.

upload_2016-7-13_15-46-21.png

upload_2016-7-13_15-49-10.png

lindsay

Wow! Thanks for the EMF info.! That would explain why I sleep like 10 hours per night when we go to our Estonian dacha. It's like we are making up for lost sleep. I love it there. Do you have a device of any kind to measure your deep sleep? I have a Mi Band (which has blue tooth - not super into that, but I like it). I don't know how accurate it's ability to determine deep sleep is.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Wow! Thanks for the EMF info.! That would explain why I sleep like 10 hours per night when we go to our Estonian dacha. It's like we are making up for lost sleep. I love it there. Do you have a device of any kind to measure your deep sleep? I have a Mi Band (which has blue tooth - not super into that, but I like it). I don't know how accurate it's ability to determine deep sleep is.

I don't have anything like that, but that's interesting. I too sleep very well when I go camping or get out of the city.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to give a couple quick updates, and some questions. I have moved into a house that has a great EMF profile...basically none, and am sleeping fantastically. I have noticed many things improving, like ability to exercise more, feeling more relaxed, and having more even energy. I am constantly amazed at how much EMF affects me. Like walking through hell really. Amazing that people sleep under cell phone towers. I have also had some things get worse from a lowering of stress hormones. Kind of a trip, but at certain times I felt a bit depressed being out from under EMF constantly.

I got some blood work done, and would love any opinions on it. I asked him to test my prolactin but no bones. TSH is high, and needs to come down, but oddly T3 is high as well, which did not make sense to me. If anyone has a good explanation, I would appreciate it. Also, where should I start working on this? Should I go the T route because of the low T...the thyroid route...the vitamin route? Any opinions welcome.

X-Sodium 139.0 Final mmol/L 136.0-145.0
X-Potassium 4.3 Final mmol/L 3.5-5.1
X-Chloride 99 Final mmol/L 98-107
X-CO2 29.8 Final mmol/L 21.0-31.0
H X-Glucose 124.0 Final mg/dL 65.0-100.0

H=

X-BUN 10.0 Final mg/dL 7.0-25.0
X-Creatinine 0.9 Final mg/dL 0.6-1.3
X-Calcium 10.0 Final mg/dL 8.6-10.3
X-Albumin 4.3 Final g/dL 3.5-5.7
X-Total Protein 7.3 Final g/dL 6.0-8.3
X-Total Bilirubin 0.4 Final mg/dL 0.3-1.0