Targeting The Gut Barrier For The Treatment Of Alcoholic Liver Disease☆

Fractality

Yup, it mirrors what we talk about here. I do wonder if there is an upper limit to stay under for aboiding endotoxemia from alcohol use. It's probably best to maintain a high saturated fat intake regardless.

olive

So eat a diet with sufficient zinc, saturated fat and niacin. Then take charcoal post alcohol consumption?

Perhaps gelatin pre-drinking should help the gut barrier as well?

Broken man

Really big thank you for this study, needed this piece of puzzle to complete my understanding of gut barrier.

Motif

My histamine issues are so bad since drinking alcohol weeks ago.
I think it could be possible that it made my gut more leaky or something, but no idea how to fix that

Broken man

My histamine issues are so bad since drinking alcohol weeks ago. I think it could be possible that it made my gut more leaky or something, but no idea how to fix that
Try Lactobacillus rhamnosus but it would be good to find it isolated from others. I am using it with Bifidobacterium longum and I am feeling good.

Motif

Try Lactobacillus rhamnosus but it would be good to find it isolated from others. I am using it with Bifidobacterium longum and I am feeling good.
What does it help you with?
Just as long as you take it ?

Broken man

What does it help you with?
Just as long as you take it ?
I have celiac disease. It cleared my lupus, my teeth are turning from yellow to white, I am able to digest some veggies. My histamine symptoms started when I started working as caretaker of fruit and vegetable at one shop. I dont know but think its from too much toxin/ endotoxin at my blood and my weak gut barrier.

Motif

I could imagine that a weak gut barrier is the cause of my issues too

Amazoniac

somuch4food

Effect of the Calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D Ratio in Diet on the Permeability of Intestinal Wall to Bacteria | The Journal of Infectious Diseases | Oxford Academic

Interesting. Intake of calcium should be reduced when dealing with leaky gut issues. I always loved dairy and have always eaten it daily in its different forms. Maybe I should cut it way down to 1-2 portions a day and choose dairy with less calcium in it to still get precious vitamin D.

The study also quickly mentions that the imbalance can affect bones as well as connective tissues. Vitamin C might be the missing link for osteoporosis. I think they focus only on calcium and vitamin D.

Amazoniac

:handpointup:

Summary:

"An adequate balance between dietary calcium, vitamin C and vitamin D is essential in maintaining the normal resistance of the intestines to the migration O'f intestinal bacteria into the blood stream."

"A severe disturbance in the proper ratio between vitamin C and vitamin D increases the permeability of the intestines to bacteria. This is true both when there is an excess of vitamin D and a deficiency of vitamin C, or an excess of vitamin C and a deficiency of vitamin D."

"An excess of calcium seems to favor the migration of bacteria into the blood stream whenever used; and when vitamin C and vitamin D are both deficient, it seems to favor a rapid multiplication of the bacteria in the spleen and lungs."​

Detailed:

"[..]when we injected small doses of a human strain of the tubercle bacilli subcutaneously into guinea-pigs, and kept them on a semiscorbutic diet, we often found organisms other than the tubercle bacillus in the heart blood[.]"

"Mouriquand[3] and Bezssonov[4] find that cod liver oil is very toxic when there is a deficiency of vitamin C in the diet. Bezssonov suggests that this toxicity is due to an excess of vitamin D. Both investigators find that the harmful effects of cod liver oil is overcome by the addition of the vitamin C of oranges and lemons to the diet. In our study the excess of vitamin D did not hasten either the onset or the progress of scurvy, but it did exaggerate some of the lesions. The vitamin D fed guinea-pigs died with scurvy at about the same time as the controls. That the excess of vitamin D had seriously exaggerated the deficiency of vitamin C was not evident at first, but was shown at necropsy."

"As these guinea-pigs were on diets deficient in vitamin C, and as we have found that an excess of vitamin D is most harmful when there is a deficiency of vitamin C in the diet, we sought for an explanation of the marked decrease in the resistance of the intestinal walls in an exaggeration of the lesions of scurvy."

guinea_pig3__04646.1438615682.1000.1000.jpg

"Hojer and Wesin,[5] and Wolbach and Howe,[6] in extended histologic studies of scorbutic guinea-pigs, conclude that the essential lesion in scurvy is a failure of the highly specialized cells of the body to secrete substances necessary for the maintenance of normal tissue. Hojer emphasizes the changes in the secretion of odontoblasts, osteoblasts, and fibroblasts; while Wolbach and Howe extend their studies to include the secretion of all intercellular substances. They conclude that the scorbutic state may be characterized as one affecting supporting tissues in which the cells are unable to produce and maintain intercellular substances: They find that this applies to connective tissue as well as to the matrix of bone and the dentin of teeth, and by inference, to other intercellular substances, including that of blood vessels. Findlay[7] and Jackson and Moore[8] also find that there are marked changes in the intercellular substances in scurvy. Findlay concludes that the essential disturbance in scurvy is an interference with the nutrition of the capillary endothelium, resulting in the stagnation of the blood in the capillaries. He considers the hemorrhages as secondary to the wearing away of the intercellular substance of the capillary walls."

"McCarrison[9] finds that there are pronounced changes in the intestinal walls in experimental scurvy. In guinea-pigs fed a scorbutic diet of crushed oats and autoclaved milk, he found that the intestines were usually congested, and that there were often atrophic and necrotic changes in the cellular elements of the mucous membrane."

"In our studies on the need of a balance between calcium, vitamin C and vitamin D, we find an abundance of evidence that an excess of vitamin D exaggerates many of the lesions of scurvy. We also find that a prolonged excess of vitamin C, together with a total deficiency of vitamin D, often results in somewhat the same defects as an excess of vitamin D, with a deficiency of vitamin C, though the lesions are not so pronounced."

"In the study of ulcers[10] we find that when an excess of vitamin D (cod liver oil) is given with a scorbutic diet there is a complete failure of epithelium and the underlying mucosa to regenerate after a severe injury. Severe ulcers (experimentally produced) enlarge and become filled with necrotic pus, the walls thicken, and become purplish within a much shorter time than when the scorbutic diet is given without the excess of vitamin D; while large, pus filled ulcers heal quickly and completely when there is an abundance of both vitamin C and vitamin D in the diet."

"Other studies,[11] including those on the nutritive requirements of nursing mothers, reveal the need for an adequate balance between vitamin C and vitamin D in the diet in order to maintain the normal tone of smooth muscle, and to increase the resistance of the body to bacterial disease."

"In all our work we find the results of a deficiency of either vitamin C or vitamin D, together with an excess of the other vitamin, are affected by the amount of calcium in the diet. There is a marked delay in even the partial healing of ulcers with a minimal amount of vitamin C when there is a deficiency of calcium in the diet, and the body is less resistant to the spread of bacterial disease. The lowered resistance to bacterial disease is also exaggerated by a decided excess of calcium, which may act by reducing the phagocytic activity of the blood."

"Oxidizing the cod liver oil destroyed its content of vitamin A, but it did not prevent the sharp decrease in intestinal resistance caused by an excess of vitamin D."

"With a deficiency of both vitamin C and vitamin D the resistance of the intestines was very low; with a normal diet the pigs were immune; and with an excess of vitamin D (3 cc. of cod liver oil per animal daily) the intestinal walls were readily permeable even when cabbage was given to furnish enough vitamin C for maintenance. The substitution of olive oil, or olive oil and cholesterol, for the cod liver oil. prevented this migration of the bacilli through the intestinal wall."

1 teaspoon of Chief Legal Officer = 5 ml, which has about 400 IU of D, and that should be ~250 IU of D for guinea pigs. If what I calculated is correct, I'm getting 9000 IU for a 70 kg human.

"The addition of large amounts of orange (9 cc. per day) prevented the decrease in resistance due to an excess of vitamin D. Destroying vitamin C, by making the orange alkaline with NaHCO3 and boiling, permitted the migration of the bacillus through the intestinal wall; but as the addition of NaHCO3 to fresh orange juice did the same thing the decreased resistance could not be attributed to the destruction of vitamin C."

"The addition of an excess of calcium was either not beneficial, or was distinctly harmful. With a deficiency of vitamin D, and a partial deficiency of vitamin C, the injurious effects were pronounced."

"Without the excess of calcium the infection was very slight in a pig killed 25 days after inoculation. The addition of a large amount of orange juice (9 cc. daily) to a diet containing an excess of cod liver oil, without an excess of calcium, entirely protected the pigs. That this protection was due to the addition of vitamin C was plainly shown when the oxidation of the orange, with boiling, resulted in a severe infection, both with and without an excess of calcium. The addition of an excess of orange to a diet deficient in vitamin D resulted in a severe infection, both with and without an excess of calcium."​

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals