Tapioca Syrup? (in Trader Joe's salt water taffy)

FredSonoma

Just came across Trader Joe's salt water taffy - lots of great ingredients, like organic virgin coconut oil and cage free egg whites. Only thing I saw that I wasn't sure about was malic acid and tapioca syrup. Tapioca syrup is supposedly made by fermenting the Yucca root.

On the nutrition facts, there are 23 g Total Carb, but only 12 g sugar, and no fiber. Would this mean that there is starch in it?

tara

I think tapioca syrup is probably the result of breaking down the starches to mostly glucose? Not sure what they count as sugar in the nutritional analysis.
My guess is that small-moderate amounts of that toffee (sounds delicious) would probably be fine, )unless you get some particular reaction to it).

OP
F

FredSonoma

tara said:
I think tapioca syrup is probably the result of breaking down the starches to mostly glucose? Not sure what they count as sugar in the nutritional analysis.
My guess is that small-moderate amounts of that toffee (sounds delicious) would probably be fine, )unless you get some particular reaction to it).

Alright thanks! Any idea why its 23 g carbs, 0 g fiber, and 12 g sugar though? Shouldn't it be 23 g sugar?

tara

FredSonoma said:
tara said:

Alright thanks! Any idea why its 23 g carbs, 0 g fiber, and 12 g sugar though? Shouldn't it be 23 g sugar?

I don't know. That's why I wonder what their definition of sugar is. Maybe they don't count glucose, or maybe there are some remaining starches/oligosaccharides? No other carb ingredients?

OP
F

FredSonoma

tara said:
FredSonoma said:
tara said:

I don't know. That's why I wonder what their definition of sugar is. Maybe they don't count glucose, or maybe there are some remaining starches/oligosaccharides? No other carb ingredients?

Nope - just those.