Tapioca Starch Is Goitrogenic,How Much Can Be Harmful?

Max.

i was reading on internet about tapioca and find that the cassava, from what tapioca is made are goitrogenic, so i want to know how bad its can be? how much is safe amount?

tara

IIUC, cassava has some problematic/toxic compounds, but these are significantly reduced by traditional and modern preparation methods, including peeling, soaking, boiling etc.
I'm not aware of a problem with small-moderate amounts of refined tapioca starch. I use some from time to time for thickening etc.

postman

Whole cassava makes me very warm, including in my hands and feet, it's very thermogenic for me.

Arnold Grape

I think the kind op is talking about comes from tea? Please don’t make me stop eating tapioca pudding, lest my gf will have to come up with new things to tease me about.

Hairfedup

That's strange...I've always considered it to be so. I come from a cassava eating culture and can say that my throat/thyroid area does seem ever so slightly inflamed when I eat a lot of cassava..that being said though, there are two varieties: bitter and sweet. The sweet variety I believe is far less goitrogenic, plus fermenting/boiling/pounding into a thick starch may serve to decrease goitrogenic effects. I do know an entire village in South-East Nigeria where cassava is consumed daily, were found to be suffering from goitres.

That's strange...I've always considered it to be so. I come from a cassava eating culture and can say that my throat/thyroid area does seem ever so slightly inflamed when I eat a lot of cassava..that being said though, there are two varieties: bitter and sweet. The sweet variety I believe is far less goitrogenic, plus fermenting/boiling/pounding into a thick starch may serve to decrease goitrogenic effects. I do know an entire village in South-East Nigeria where cassava is consumed daily, were found to be suffering from goitres.

As far as I understand this study iodine intake is what really matters. Iodine could negate high casssava consumption up to some degree.

southcesar

does anyone have any more information about this? I eat tapioca regularly and my skin feels significantly hot after eating it. It is important to remember that tapioca and cassava flour are different things, tapioca is the starch in cassava.

Z

Zsazsa

Tapioca is completely safe.

Some folks when preparing traditional dishes with fresh roots use the water in which the bitter cassava root is boiled, THAT is highly goitrogenic since it contains a lot of cyanide.

Hairfedup

Tapioca is completely safe.

Some folks when preparing traditional dishes with fresh roots use the water in which the bitter cassava root is boiled, THAT is highly goitrogenic since it contains a lot of cyanide.

Ahh yes I had to stop my mother from doing this - took a lot of convincing until I asked her to explain why the water smelled like sweet almonds lol.

Z

Zsazsa

Ahh yes I had to stop my mother from doing this - took a lot of convincing until I asked her to explain why the water smelled like sweet almonds lol.
Once I ate Brazilian tucupi at one dinner. I felt awful the whole night afterwards with rigid muscles.

Hairfedup

Once I ate Brazilian tucupi at one dinner. I felt awful the whole night afterwards with rigid muscles.

Yeah it just isn't worth it really, I try to only eat sweet cassava and even then I've been avoiding it as my health has crashed. Maybe reintroduce it one day ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals