Tanning Beds

tonto

Dr Mercola posted this article some time ago:
New Study Shows Tanning Beds Decrease Melanoma Risk

UV light from the sun and tanning beds is the main vitamin D source for humans, and researchers have identified an astonishing number of health benefits of vitamin D in the past decade.
But since UV exposure has been suspected of causing skin cancer, many conventional health authorities still warn against it.
A recent review of studies sought to review the health effects of solar radiation, tanning beds and vitamin D.
The researchers looked at data from different time periods for populations at different latitudes, with the aim at looking at the relative risk for cutaneous malignant melanoma associated with tanning bed use, vitamin D and UV effects.
They found that increased tanning bed use was NOT associated with melanoma.
Thoughts? May be good for me to use in winter here in New England.

Rafe

Hi, tonto: I'm not a fan of Mercola, but I do use a tanning bed in winter b/c I live where the cloud ceiling is low for 5 1/2 mos & vitamin d deficiency & depression are virtually universal. Where I go, lots of different types of people use them besides college students preparing for spring break. One man has soft bone disease, many seem to go for mood.
I use the basic lay-down beds b/c they have uvb-emitting, lower pressure (not really sure what that refers to) bulbs. Also cheaper. I use a little bit of coconut oil, eye & face protection, & I only take 8 -10 min 2 -3 times per week. Truly, a very modest exposure.
If I don't, my skin gets very sensitive covered in clothing so much by spring. And I try to escape to Mexico for a week in March or May, so this allows me to enjoy it without getting fried. For me it is a mood booster and I use it in addition to red light most days Dec - May. But my red light set-up isn't much yet, just a reptile lamp. Go reptiles.
RP cautions about the stresses of UV radiation exposure. I understand this, but consider my use worthwhile.
I learned most of what I know about UV on paleohacks & I don't burn w/ reasonable use. I attribute this to 4 yrs of low-pufa eating. I'm a, well, redhead. Pls don't rely on people working in the salons to know about UV. Safe tanning.

mt_dreams

if you could find a uvb option then it may have some impact, especially if you're not getting enough D from sun and food.

As for mercola, that article is 4 years old. A couple of months ago the fda succesfully sued mercola for a couple of million over these beds, and he is now not allowed to sell anymore of them. it was probably more to do with politics than safety, but it's something to keep in mind.

I don't do well using tanning beds with uva, as they usually give me the shakes. I've used a full uvb standing unit with good results.

Dan W

if you could find a uvb option then it may have some impact, especially if you're not getting enough D from sun and food.
I've been playing with reptile bulbs to try to get high UVB (without much UVA) at home. It's finally nudged my vitamin D levels up, and I think it might have some circadian benefits as well. I haven't decided whether or not its worth any possible safety issues though.

meatbag

I've been playing with reptile bulbs to try to get high UVB (without much UVA) at home. It's finally nudged my vitamin D levels up, and I think it might have some circadian benefits as well. I haven't decided whether or not its worth any possible safety issues though.

Doesn't Peat do something like that? I think I remember him saying he used some kind of old light for vitamin d in the winter sometimes in an interview

Dan W

Huh, I don't recall that, but I know I've missed some interviews. That'd put my mind more at ease if so.