Taller People Have Higher Mortality From Cancer

lvysaur

I was only supposed to grow to 6'4"and since thyroid halts growth and stimulates adulthood it seems that my thyroid was either weak or took longer to come into development.

Can you provide any data about how tall you were at certain ages? I'm curious to know if you were a "delayed maturity" or a "high growth" grower. I suspect that the former is advantageous, since estrogen is what matures bones, and males with aromatase deficiency (as well as prepubescently castrated males, in the past) reach consistently above-average heights.

Does your height come more from your torso or your legs? I've seen some people with proportionally long heads and necks as well.

natedawggh

Can you provide any data about how tall you were at certain ages? I'm curious to know if you were a "delayed maturity" or a "high growth" grower. I suspect that the former is advantageous, since estrogen is what matures bones, and males with aromatase deficiency (as well as prepubescently castrated males, in the past) reach consistently above-average heights.

Does your height come more from your torso or your legs? I've seen some people with proportionally long heads and necks as well.

I don't know exact measurements but I was ALWAYS well above my age bracket, a full head and shoulders taller than all but one or two of my classmates. I reached 6'4 by 10th grade and stopped growing at 19 at 6'6" (at 26 got into yoga and stretched out to 6'7") I think everything is proportional, though I was next to someone an inch shorter than me whose pelvis was an inch higher. I don't feel like my torso is any longer than my legs are long. :)

Hugh Johnson

Something not mentioned in the thread. BMI calculation uses height squared. However we live in a three dimensional world. Tall people have a high BMI score even when normal weight. So the two effects might have a relationship.

Sucrates

I assumed there was a certain limit to integrity in an organism related to the scale, that larger individuals of the same organism would have less integrity. For example that there would be more stress on knee and ankle joints of a taller person with the same sort of "frame". The stresses that the tissues can withhold are scale relative. This leading to more pain and stress hormones, more time spent indoors and immobile particularly with age and more use of often harmful drugs (on average).

Peata

Just read about Julie Winnifred Betrand, who lived for 115 years, 124 days. She was 5'8" and 150 lb. when she was young. So at least it's possible for taller woman to live on. :)

(Just thinking, cause I was last measured at 5'6".)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals