Talking To My Functional Medicine Doctor....

flipflopcowgirl

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I am at a place that I assume most people have been at.
I'm living in the land of WTF.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in August of last year and now I'm wondering if there's anything "wrong" with me at all. It seems that there are so very many opinions about endocrinology and such varying views on AI, etc. I am frazzled trying to sort through it all.

I followed my version of Peat's recommendations (certainly not complete but trying primarily, through adding sugars, to raise my metabolism) for around 4 months. I gained about 20 pounds. I freaked and immediately went on an elimination diet. While I was eating for metabolism, I noticed the bags under my eyes disappeared (they're back) and I felt pretty healthy. BUT...I felt lousy also because I was no longer toned and muscular but sort of...blobby everywhere. I gained more weight than I ever had my entire adult life.

I understand that this is common and that there are two basic views: 1. Get over it and stick with Peat. It will eventually clear up. Well, maybe. 2. The excess fat is estrogenic, which is bad. Drink less fat in your dairy, cut back on calories...to a point (what point?!).

So...I have a functional medicine doctor that does check my pulse and body temp and did put me on straight T3 but she's got the basic functional medicine line of thinking.

I'm no biochemist or doctor. I have no idea what to show her or say to her (if anything) to try to get her to look into the research here. I guess my question is: Why does the functional medical community think like they do instead of like Peat does? I'm having a hard time understanding how we wound up in that camp vs. the Peat camp. Thoughts?

tara

Welcome flipflop. :)

What sort of temps and pulse? Any thyroid blood test results you feel like sharing?
How is she suggesting you dose the T3?

Have you read Peat's articles on thyroid?
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/thyroid.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/hypothyroidism.shtml
There is some explanation in the first one about how Peat thinks mainstream medicine got to it's current take on thyroid treatment (or lack of treatment).

I understand that this is common and that there are two basic views: 1. Get over it and stick with Peat. It will eventually clear up. Well, maybe. 2. The excess fat is estrogenic, which is bad. Drink less fat in your dairy, cut back on calories...to a point (what point?!).
Nice summary. :) Actually, I think Peat tends to more often speak as though extra fat is a problem to be avoided. I don't know what he says in cases of anorexia etc, because I haven't seen anything from him on that. I've tended to favour eating enough as a part of the process of recovery for people whose metabolism are likely suppressed by undereating. And to make sure to have fuel on board when supplementing thyroid and other substances that raise metabolism.
What is your diet like? What and how much are you eating? Avoiding PUFAs and getting 80-100g protein? Checked out whether you are covering vitamins and minerals? Approx calories? (Some of us use cronometer or similar). Do fruit, milk, cheese agree with you?
I think for most of us there's more to a Peat-inspired diet than just eating more sucrose. :) Is this what you meant, or more fruit etc?

Good luck.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals