Taking thyroid vs red light on thyroid?

qwazy

I saw that you can increase your thyroid output by shining red light on it. Now I wonder how different that is to taking thyroid? Has anyone tried both and can compare them? A big benefit from my point of view is that I can legally get red light but not thyroid. Also the additives in the supplements worry me.

Anyway, my guess is:
When your thyroid is unable to produce thyroid hormones (e.g. hashimoto, nutrient deficiencies) or if there are T4->T3 conversion issues, shining light on the thyroid won't help but taking thyroid will.
If your thyroid and liver can produce the hormones but for some reason does not both light and thyroid helps.

Does the last case actually ever happen? Also what are there 2nd order effects of increasing thyroid through own production (light) vs externally supplementing thyroid? What happens if I stop using red light or thyroid? Which one causes the worse rebound?

In case one decides for using red light. Which kind of red light is the best for improving thyroid function? I have read that non-infrared is generally safer, but does it even work for dialing up the thyroid?

LLLT/PBM is a super interesting modality. I don't know of any studies to show improving thyroid function. The link you posted showing a supposed increase in cancer risk doesn't even mention the wavelengths used (e.g. 810 nm, 850 nm, 635 nm), so I can't take that study seriously. How can they not mention the wavelengths?

Regarding, T4 => T3 conversion, I think most of that happens in the liver, not the thyroid, so it might be useful to try shining the light on your right torso if you suspect the conversion is the problem.

Also, that conversion is dependent on a Selenium dependent enzyme, IIRC.

I do hope people chime in with their experiences. I haven't shined it on my thyroid directly, so I can't speak to your original question.

AlexR

I didn’t search very long as I’m on my walk right now, but this study shows increased thyroid hormone, although, it is in people with an autoimmune condition. From personal experience, the red light enhances anything it is shined at. On my muscles, it reduces pain and enhances recovery, on my balls, it enhances mood and libido, on my brain, it enhances alertness and mood. I think the mechanism is so elementary that it can improve anything that it is a cell with mitochondria, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t help your thyroid. The only important thing is not to overdo it on things like your brain because it can make you very tired and even irritable. I’m not exactly sure why, but some researcher who studies red light said it has some hermetic effects. His name is Dr. Hamblin.

OP
Q

qwazy

LLLT/PBM is a super interesting modality. I don't know of any studies to show improving thyroid function. The link you posted showing a supposed increase in cancer risk doesn't even mention the wavelengths used (e.g. 810 nm, 850 nm, 635 nm), so I can't take that study seriously. How can they not mention the wavelengths?

Regarding, T4 => T3 conversion, I think most of that happens in the liver, not the thyroid, so it might be useful to try shining the light on your right torso if you suspect the conversion is the problem.

Also, that conversion is dependent on a Selenium dependent enzyme, IIRC.

I do hope people chime in with their experiences. I haven't shined it on my thyroid directly, so I can't speak to your original question.
"The light source was a 650 nm diode laser"