Taking Cyproheptadine 8mg/day, Is It Risky?

Astolfo

I have no resource for blood testing, so I can't get my liver checked. How much risky is taking that much of a dosage? I probably have some problems like disbalanced kynurenine system and autoimmunity too, so please consider them. I'm still under 18, if that matters.

OP
A

Astolfo

I don't like dumping any thread but it's actually important. I have read several topics about cyproheptadine but half of them were controversial. I have slight gynecomastia from possibly 100 mg progesterone, or saw palmetto, so I wouldn't like to cause any further breast growth.
Also, 2 mg dose of cypro causes bowel problems, probably because its effect on glucocorticoid receptors.

I'm in a terrible state now, and I can't figure out all these. I need some help.

redsun

I'm still under 18, if that matters.

I'd say that is the only thing that matters. Why a teenage male is messing around with progesterone is beyond me. Your body needs testosterone and DHT, not progesterone. Regardless, you should not supplement any hormones at all, you should be able to make plenty of your own with a correct nutritionally complete diet.

As for cypro, I don't see why you would continue to mess with the strong medications, you will make yourself worse. You are young and if you can't get your metabolism churning with good diet and perhaps some weightlifting, nothing will help you. Saying you think you have some problems means nothing. You need micronutrients and fat, protein, and carbohydrates not hormones or serotonin antagonists. I dont think anyone would recommend any of these to teenagers or even young adults, it will only wreck you in the long term because your diet is clearly not dialed in. Correct foods and protein intake will natural antagonize serotonin.

OP
A

Astolfo

I'd say that is the only thing that matters. Why a teenage male is messing around with progesterone is beyond me. Your body needs testosterone and DHT, not progesterone. Regardless, you should not supplement any hormones at all, you should be able to make plenty of your own with a correct nutritionally complete diet.

As for cypro, I don't see why you would continue to mess with the strong medications, you will make yourself worse. You are young and if you can't get your metabolism churning with good diet and perhaps some weightlifting, nothing will help you. Saying you think you have some problems means nothing. You need micronutrients and fat, protein, and carbohydrates not hormones or serotonin antagonists. I dont think anyone would recommend any of these to teenagers or even young adults, it will only wreck you in the long term because your diet is clearly not dialed in. Correct foods and protein intake will natural antagonize serotonin.

I don't think I have problem. I do have problem. And I have been lurking on forums and forums since 2 year ago. Do you think I would ever do that just for nocebo effect? I still have common sense, I'm not that much braindead yet.

You can never understand how it feels like to losing your cognitive ability, being depersonalated, living in a constant dream like state.
All that happened after a few days of antideppresant. That medicine triggered everything.

Really, eating healty is not enough because I have been already eating healthy enough.

Thinking the long term is not my priority now because I can't stand anymore. I already have sodium nitrite and antiemetics etc. I can ctb anytime I want. That's not a health improving topic, I'm trying to save my life.

redsun

I don't think I have problem. I do have problem. And I have been lurking on forums and forums since 2 year ago. Do you think I would ever do that just for nocebo effect? I still have common sense, I'm not that much braindead yet.

You can never understand how it feels like to losing your cognitive ability, being depersonalated, living in a constant dream like state.
All that happened after a few days of antideppresant. That medicine triggered everything.

Really, eating healty is not enough because I have been already eating healthy enough.

Thinking the long term is not my priority now because I can't stand anymore. I already have sodium nitrite and antiemetics etc. I can ctb anytime I want. That's not a health improving topic, I'm trying to save my life.

Actually I have felt all these things, I understand exactly what that means. I have never been on an SSRI but I have been on a DNRI because my own cognitive ability was utterly destroyed from certain life stressors and life events. I also likewise dealt with extreme depersonalization for a good portion of my life. Dream-like state? Yeh I've had that too which came along with loss of cognitive function that led me to getting a DNRI. I got off of it and improved my cognition with basic vitamins and increased choline intake while eating more nutrient dense foods. The best money you will ever spend is getting some good quality grass fed beef or chicken liver and other organs, and eat that every day and you'll wish you'd have done it sooner.

Humans have always had organ meats as a major source of their nutrients, thats why humanity is where it is today. You can take that advice or not, its your life, you have the complete freedom to either fix it or ruin it with the right knowledge. Nothing will improve your health faster and actually save your life then eating the world's most nutritious foods. Liver has mountains of B12, folate, choline, iron, copper... all vital for cognition.

If you are adamant on taking cypro, I strongly suggest you also incorporate organ meats as well into your life to actually get to the source of the issue which is malnutrition.

OP
A

Astolfo

Actually I have felt all these things, I understand exactly what that means. I have never been on an SSRI but I have been on a DNRI because my own cognitive ability was utterly destroyed from certain life stressors and life events. I also likewise dealt with extreme depersonalization for a good portion of my life. Dream-like state? Yeh I've had that too which came along with loss of cognitive function that led me to getting a DNRI. I got off of it and improved my cognition with basic vitamins and increased choline intake while eating more nutrient dense foods. The best money you will ever spend is getting some good quality grass fed beef or chicken liver and other organs, and eat that every day and you'll wish you'd have done it sooner.

Humans have always had organ meats as a major source of their nutrients, thats why humanity is where it is today. You can take that advice or not, its your life, you have the complete freedom to either fix it or ruin it with the right knowledge. Nothing will improve your health faster and actually save your life then eating the world's most nutritious foods. Liver has mountains of B12, folate, choline, iron, copper... all vital for cognition.

If you are adamant on take cypro, I strongly suggest you also incorporate organ meats as well into your life to actually get to the source of the issue which is malnutrition.

Thanks, redsun. If so, may I ask, how much liver you recommend me to eat every week?

Also I have a very simple question. I can't figure out that how could a few days of antidepressant usage gave me CFS instantly. Then, the progessive deteoriating started. This doesn't sound like malnutrution but you know better than me.

I was also planning to do LDN and take riboflavine. What's your thoughts about them?

redsun

Thanks, redsun. If so, may I ask, how much liver you recommend me to eat every week?

Also I have a very simple question. I can't figure out that how could a few days of antidepressant usage gave me CFS instantly. Then, the progessive deteoriating started. This doesn't sound like malnutrution but you know better than me.

I was also planning to do LDN and take riboflavine. What's your thoughts about them?

You arent the first person I have seen make a thread where they mention taking an SSRI for a short amount of time and then everything getting ruined. Likely, like many, your health was already near the edge and the SSRI threw you off it. Any significant stressor can do this, and I would consider an SSRI a significant stressor. Though I am not 100% sure that is my educated guess.

I dont know what LDN is but riboflavin is very vital and helpful. The best sources are organs, eggs, and milk. If you incorporate liver at least 3x a week you will have more than enough of riboflavin just from that alone. You should also include a few pastured eggs a day(for choline mostly) in the diet as well as red meats or seafood for zinc and other minerals. Potatoes, fruits, and other starches you can tolerate are good additions to fill in the gaps.

OP
A

Astolfo

You arent the first person I have seen make a thread where they mention taking an SSRI for a short amount of time and then everything getting ruined. Likely, like many, your health was already near the edge and the SSRI threw you off it. Any significant stressor can do this, and I would consider an SSRI a significant stressor. Though I am not 100% sure that is my educated guess.

I dont know what LDN is but riboflavin is very vital and helpful. The best sources are organs, eggs, and milk. If you incorporate liver at least 3x a week you will have more than enough of riboflavin just from that alone. You should also include a few pastured eggs a day(for choline mostly) in the diet as well as red meats or seafood for zinc and other minerals. Potatoes, fruits, and other starches you can tolerate are good additions to fill in the gaps.

I will stay away from eggs and meat in the morning because of school, but I can try eating some on dinner. Also, I guess I can tolerate liver, I don't know if I give bowel reactions to it.

The weirdest thing in my situation is, the more I got cognitively impaired, the more less anxious I become. You are right about what you said. I had serious anxiety problem also because I'm asperger. But it didn't cause any health problem.

aquaman

I have no resource for blood testing, so I can't get my liver checked. How much risky is taking that much of a dosage? I probably have some problems like disbalanced kynurenine system and autoimmunity too, so please consider them. I'm still under 18, if that matters.

See my post - 0.5/1mg roughly EOD, doubled my prolactin in 3-4 months

I wound strongly suggest to stay away from cypro, or perhaps microdose it like someone suggested on my thread. It made me feel like crap and doubled prolactin. 10 days off and I’m feeling much better.

Herbie

I took 36mg of cypro in one day, made me very sedated.

I would start small 0.5mg and try 1mg,2,3,4 and see if 8mg is nessasary for short term. Not advised to take long term.

I wish I took some when I was 18 because I needed it then.

I don’t know why older people pick on 18 year olds as if they are a different species or dumb, they are just risk takers more than old.Legally an adult in my country at 18 and I was messed up at that age and could have benefited from cypro or a little progesterone to bring stress down. Dose is what the focus should be on not the age as we don’t know your personal circumstances.

Anyways, try tell an 18 year old what to do... lol

Ps if its soft puffy nipple, its not gyno. Needs to be hard lump.

Last edited:

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
See my post - 0.5/1mg roughly EOD, doubled my prolactin in 3-4 months

I wound strongly suggest to stay away from cypro, or perhaps microdose it like someone suggested on my thread. It made me feel like crap and doubled prolactin. 10 days off and I’m feeling much better.

did you get the insane positive rebound from the Cypro?

Jem Oz

Cypro is highly praised round these parts, and I myself have benefited from it. However if you google cypro+side effects, you'll find an alarming list. God knows how many of them are accurate (sometimes MSM's list of side effects is so broad you get the sense it's the lawyers talking). But Ray Peat himself has urged caution around cypro. I don't know for sure but I suspect it contributed to a strange case of anemia and tachycardia I developed earlier this year. Took months to resolve. I'd suggest a short course of it then run for the hills. Like so many others say, diet, meaningful exercise and an engaging social life are KING.

SOMO

I think if you’re employed, taking Cyproheptadine is a bad idea because it will make you sleep more and be more drowsy.

Basically, a lot of people find they need more sleep (1-3 hours) when taking Cypro and it seems to be a stronger sedative than Benadryl.

chimdp

did you get the insane positive rebound from the Cypro?

@Lokzo Funny you mention the positive rebound effect as I've been experiencing this myself lately. I'll take cypro for a day or two, .5 mg in the late afternoon/early evening, pretty reliably I actually don't get great sleep on it. I usually end up waking up an additional one or two times per night (my usual is waking up once to pee) and often waking before my alarm. However, the next day and sometimes the day after, I feel really good mentally and energy wise, even though I'm often running on less sleep. I haven't been able to take it more than two days in a row because of the sleep effect and sometime getting random joint or muscle soreness (maybe from low cortisol?). Have you played around with it anymore? I'm curious as to what mechanism it's acting on to cause the rebound effect? Maybe it sensitizes the dopamine receptors after blocking them? But by that way of thinking, it would mean it also sensitizes serotonin receptors to be more "efficient"...

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
@Lokzo Funny you mention the positive rebound effect as I've been experiencing this myself lately. I'll take cypro for a day or two, .5 mg in the late afternoon/early evening, pretty reliably I actually don't get great sleep on it. I usually end up waking up an additional one or two times per night (my usual is waking up once to pee) and often waking before my alarm. However, the next day and sometimes the day after, I feel really good mentally and energy wise, even though I'm often running on less sleep. I haven't been able to take it more than two days in a row because of the sleep effect and sometime getting random joint or muscle soreness (maybe from low cortisol?). Have you played around with it anymore? I'm curious as to what mechanism it's acting on to cause the rebound effect? Maybe it sensitizes the dopamine receptors after blocking them? But by that way of thinking, it would mean it also sensitizes serotonin receptors to be more "efficient"...

I was feeling sensational, for about 9 days. Until, I saw the zinc in my cupboard and thought, I will give it one last try. BOOM - fkd me up for days.... and then I had to use Cypro at like 500mcg to 1mg single dose at 4pm.

Next day after Cypro, I feel like DEATH. Absolutely weakest ever in the gym, no pump, feeling low motivation, it's basically like the biggest handicap I can put on myself. It has been 2 days and I am still feeling like this. Still so weak in the gym, hungry, no pumps and ***t mood.

But I wait. I wait for the magical rebound, I think its really sad that I have to keep doing this just to fkn feel normal again. The rebound comes on day 4. I wake up, my resting heart rate is not 40, it's more like 45 FULL WITH ENERGY, all emotions back online, I can feel anticipatory anhedonia disappears, but the best part is I feel STRONG in the gym again.

I am waiting on some pregnenolone to arrive to see if it mimics some of these rebound symptoms.

I really want to throw the cypro in the bin, because it sucks the life out of you. This is even with L-Phenylalanine high doses.

I am so tempted to go to a homeopath and understand how I can permanently use homeopathic PHOSPHORUS (This always gives me windows of cure too). I just need help determining dosage and frequency.

tankasnowgod

Cypro is highly praised round these parts, and I myself have benefited from it. However if you google cypro+side effects, you'll find an alarming list.

Is that because you were looking at the side effects of Ciprofloxacin?

GreekDemiGod

Correct foods and protein intake will natural antagonize serotonin.
This is the conclusion that I seem to reach too. Think about the regular young people who are moderately happy with their life, they don't follow any kind of diet, they just eat 'normally', sometimes PUFA-fast-food, sometimes 'healthy food', they have good social connections. But because they have no digestive issues and they have a generally robust organism (at least at their current point in life), their Serotonin is probably low enough, without taking any kind of anti-serotonin drugs. I wonder how did the 'Serotonin = happy' meme came about.
If the RP way is the truth, then they will probably degenerate as they slowly age, and us who've been restricting PUFAs, will thrive.
But just by fixing the gut, that will normalize Serotonin levels, I reckon.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals