Tachycardia After Quitting Risperidone And Benzo Please Help

TreasureVibe

Hey all, so i was put on an antipsychotic drug called Risperidone and a benzo and one night I decided I didn't want to take a dose. What followed was I was laying in bed and felt like my heart was turning off for like 1 second. It felt really powerful and distressing at the same time and was really scary.

Afterwards, I took my risperidone and benzo in the morning again but what stayed was this tachycardia that doesn't go away. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this tachycardia?

My heart rate goes from 84 to 96 to 102 and sometimes when measured it was 124. It keeps jumping in between these and it gets worse when standing.

It's most likely caused by the quitting of the risperidone and benzo.

Thank you

Cc @haidut

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Are you taking the meds currently?

LuMonty

That's really unfortunate, but the thing is I didn't have this side effect while previously being on the drug, before I skipped a dose. It started once I quit it that night and it never went away..
I had the same thing happen. In my case, shortly after that I started tapering off of it completely. Took about 6 months for all the side effects to clear up. I'd always sense when it would happen so I got used to going into a sort of meditative breathing and that helped a lot.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

I had the same thing happen. In my case, shortly after that I started tapering off of it completely. Took about 6 months for all the side effects to clear up. I'd always sense when it would happen so I got used to going into a sort of meditative breathing and that helped a lot.
Yes, I used buteyko breathing and binaural beats for lowering heart rate with mixed results, coffee and distraction helped as well! Did you do anything else to lower your heart rate?

LuMonty

Yes, I used buteyko breathing and binaural beats for lowering heart rate with mixed results, coffee and distraction helped as well! Did you do anything else to lower your heart rate?
Made sure to eat enough when I was actually hungry but not in a compulsive manner. I had bad side effects related to appetite, and I'd learn later I had parasites. So my efforts only got me so far, and I learned to be satisfied with the breathing and sipping on soda. Basically, results will vary etc, though I hope for your speedy recovery.

If I did eat appropriately, coffee was helpful with enough sugar. I couldn't tolerate dairy at that point, so if it's soothing to you I'd try that at least in the coffee. Salt was also important; I often snacked on salty pretzel sticks. Trying to make a tonic or add salt to drinks was a failure and made salt unappetizing in general, so I wouldn't recommend that. Good quality meat is important and easily digestible. Being in a catabolic state due to low protein made things much worse.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Tachycardia is a side effect of Risperidone.

Risperidone Side Effects: Common, Severe, Long Term - Drugs.com

Made sure to eat enough when I was actually hungry but not in a compulsive manner. I had bad side effects related to appetite, and I'd learn later I had parasites. So my efforts only got me so far, and I learned to be satisfied with the breathing and sipping on soda. Basically, results will vary etc, though I hope for your speedy recovery.

If I did eat appropriately, coffee was helpful with enough sugar. I couldn't tolerate dairy at that point, so if it's soothing to you I'd try that at least in the coffee. Salt was also important; I often snacked on salty pretzel sticks. Trying to make a tonic or add salt to drinks was a failure and made salt unappetizing in general, so I wouldn't recommend that. Good quality meat is important and easily digestible. Being in a catabolic state due to low protein made things much worse.
Thank you, I hope anyone else has some more good suggestions. It has to do with the dopamine receptors of the heart I've read before, which the antipsychotic drug has an effect on.

GAF

Strophanthin is very good stuff. Lyra Nara is a good source. They have a good you tube channel. You can call and talk to her.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

I'm going insane due to this tachycardia, anyone has anything that could help stop it? Coffee helps due to positive effect on dopamine system. I'm pretty sure it's the dopamine regulation that's hindered that causes the tachycardia but anyone might correct me.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

"and reflex sinus tachycardia due to α1-adrenoceptor blockade and to anticholinergic effects occur at therapeutic dosages of several psychotropic drugs."

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I know that the meds are garbage and are causing this, doc won't let me taper off the drug
Understood and I completely respect the situation. I think perhaps it’s possible that when you skipped your dose of the medicine you may have become anxious as a withdrawal symptom and now you are acutely aware of your heart most of the time. You could always get checked out to make sure nothing is wrong and hopefully allay your fears.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

If you don't mind, what's it being prescribed for?
Fears, but I don't have those fears anymore so now I'm being prescribed it for nothing. I also have autism and a past of psychosis but those psychosis were purely due to fears

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Understood and I completely respect the situation. I think perhaps it’s possible that when you skipped your dose of the medicine you may have become anxious as a withdrawal symptom and now you are acutely aware of your heart most of the time. You could always get checked out to make sure nothing is wrong and hopefully allay your fears.
I have no idea what caused it other than the dopamine system being affected because I read on the forum before that the heart has dopamine receptors..

Since coffee positively affects the dopamine system I get positive calming results from drinking coffee, even though it would be thought of that it causes a faster heart beat.

I have no fears at the moment at all, and I've been completely checked physically by a doctor so I'm sure it's chemically that's causing it

LuMonty

Fears, but I don't have those fears anymore so now I'm being prescribed it for nothing. I also have autism and a past of psychosis but those psychosis were purely due to fears
I had a similar situation. Bad sleep apnea meant it was hard to mentally process anything. Obviously I can't give medical advice, but I tapered myself off over about a month. IIRC it has an 8 hour half-life so you could try to plan around that. Of course, it would probably p*** off your doctor. hHe one prescribing my meds got mad and told me to have myself committed. So what I'm saying is if you do, good luck.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

I had a similar situation. Bad sleep apnea meant it was hard to mentally process anything. Obviously I can't give medical advice, but I tapered myself off over about a month. IIRC it has an 8 hour half-life so you could try to plan around that. Of course, it would probably p*** off your doctor. hHe one prescribing my meds got mad and told me to have myself committed. So what I'm saying is if you do, good luck.
Thank you, I really want to taper off of it because I know it messes with my dopamine system which causes all the trouble.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals