Table sugar

Discussion in 'Sugar, Honey' started by Violet, Apr 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Violet

Violet Member

Apologies if this has been asked a million times already - I looked through the archives but posts about sugar aren't thin on the ground ;)

I'm confused about table sugar. Sucrose is a blend of glucose and fructose, right? But refined fructose is bad, right?! Are you guys using a special kind of sugar that is pure glucose? Or have I got it wrong about fructose?!

2. j.

j. Guest

I've never heard that refined fructose is bad. I read Ray Peat write positively about pure fructose to treat diabetes.

3. jyb

jyb Member

Pure fructose is not necessary... You get the benefits of fructose in fruit juice because the ratio to glucose is high enough and it has the nutrients needed to process the energy too.

4. OP
    Violet

Violet Member

Fructose in the form of fruit?

There's the video that's gotten a billion hits on youtube that's contributing to the sugar phobia ("Sugar the bitter Truth"), but actually all his research is about fructose, not sucrose.

Also, HFCS?

5. j.

j. Guest

I get awful reactions from it. I won't consume it no matter what anyone tells me. Table sugar is fine to me if I eat it according to appetite.

6. OP
    Violet

Violet Member

Not quite the question I was asking ;)

7. j.

j. Guest

My guess is that Ray Peat thinks that youtube is a ton of garbage. Ray:

More from Ray:

Source

8. pboy

pboy Member

Frustose has a lot of benefits, the only problem is that if in too high a free amount in the intestinal lumen at once the body might have a hard time absorbing it all (most fructose moves across the lumen membrane with the help of glucose, which is why sucrose is great, it has a perfect 1:1 ratio, as do most fruits). A little free fructose is no problem. Too much HFCS or plain fructose at once might give you gas and brainfog because of the malabsorbtion, but fructose it in of itself is not problematic.
    Refined table sugar has slightly less minerals than unrefined sugar but the amount is pretty much negligible...more important is the quality, look for a good source preferably organic. (to minimize pesticide residue, refining agents).

9. OP
    Violet

Violet Member

Brilliant - thank you!

So if you were going for unrefined, would you favour brown or white?

10. j.

j. Guest

Source

11. OP
    Violet

Violet Member

Thanks J! Great article.