T4/T3= No Libido. T3 Only = High Libido

ddjd

Any idea why T4 and T3 together sends my libido plummeting. Errections are rare.

But T3 only gives me rock hard errections and ravaging libido

Any ideas?

To further mystify me, the T3/T4 combo is also stopping my hair shedding. Whereas T3 only increases hair shedding.

jitsmonkey

pulse and temp will tell you
Stress could = hair shedding and wood could = adrenaline
(could be other stuff too but that's first thing comes to mind based on info provided)
More fuel under the influence of T3 may limit the hair fall and leave the erections.

DuggaDugga

Any idea why T4 and T3 together sends my libido plummeting. Errections are rare.

Any ideas?

To further mystify me, the T3/T4 combo is also stopping my hair shedding. Whereas T3 only increases hair shedding.

Possible that excess T4 is being converted to rT3, blocking the effects of T3. Your thyroid gland produces far more T4 than T3, with the former being converted to T3 or not depending on the liver's perceived energy status. There's good info elsewhere on this forum and from the man himself:

May I ask how you're measuring hair shedding and why? I ask as someone slowly reversing hair loss and, in my experience, counting shed hairs was never a good indicator of my general health status. Scalp sensitivity (lack of, ideally), body temp, and heart rate seemed to be better indicators.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

pulse and temp will tell you
Stress could = hair shedding and wood could = adrenaline
(could be other stuff too but that's first thing comes to mind based on info provided)
More fuel under the influence of T3 may limit the hair fall and leave the erections.
So Adrenaline can increase errections?? I thought adrenaline reduces blood flow, as in its a vasoconstrictor...

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Possible that excess T4 is being converted to rT3, blocking the effects of T3. Your thyroid gland produces far more T4 than T3, with the former being converted to T3 or not depending on the liver's perceived energy status. There's good info elsewhere on this forum and from the man himself:

May I ask how you're measuring hair shedding and why? I ask as someone slowly reversing hair loss and, in my experience, counting shed hairs was never a good indicator of my general health status. Scalp sensitivity (lack of, ideally), body temp, and heart rate seemed to be better indicators.

So I should get my rt3 tested?
If that's the case that it's blocking thyroid function, why do you think it stops my hair shedding? I did read that T4 helps lengthen the hair growth cycle.

Interesting what you said about hair shedding. I have been thinking this myself, whether it's a good indicator of general health or not.

What do you mean by scalp sensitivity?

jitsmonkey

So Adrenaline can increase errections?? I thought adrenaline reduces blood flow, as in its a vasoconstrictor...

Stress is a very broad brush.
you can have more/better erections with or without it.
Its neither a linear nor binary question you're asking
and the most important datapoints of pulse and temp are not provided

jitsmonkey

Oh sorry I'll stop right away then.

You shouldn't necessarily stop you should just stop flying blind
but alas you can do any ignorant thing you like
get rekt by it and then you can be added to the pile of people
who fail with thyroid and then the tool gets blamed
instead of the reckless use of the tool getting the blame.
this forum is filled with them.
Carry on.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

You shouldn't necessarily stop you should just stop flying blind
but alas you can do any ignorant thing you like
get rekt by it and then you can be added to the pile of people
who fail with thyroid and then the tool gets blamed
instead of the reckless use of the tool getting the blame.
this forum is filled with them.
Carry on.
I was being sarcastic.

DuggaDugga

So I should get my rt3 tested?
If that's the case that it's blocking thyroid function, why do you think it stops my hair shedding? I did read that T4 helps lengthen the hair growth cycle.

Interesting what you said about hair shedding. I have been thinking this myself, whether it's a good indicator of general health or not.

What do you mean by scalp sensitivity?

I doubt there's anyway anyone is reliably tracking how much hair they shed. Our perception of it varies depending on present disposition and expected results in reaction to some intervention. I used to participate in hair loss forums, and it was consistently the least helpful measure anyone provided. We shed hair and (hopefully) it comes back as it cycles. Ideally it remains in the anagen phase longer, growing thicker, terminal hairs. You're better off not obsessing with shed hairs, and worry about the quality of your hair and scalp.

Scalp sensitivity (easily observed by gently kneading scalp) is indicative of inflammation and most likely elevated hormones relevant to hair loss, like parathyroid and prolactin. Again, it's a crude measure, but if your scalp is inflammed, you can bet it's not doing your hair favors. Similarly, dandruff and excess sebum are far more objectively observed and likely indicative of a deficiency of retinol, in my experience.

Anyways, I would suggest going to YouTube and looking up Danny Roddy.

Sexypizza

Hey Op,

I'm hypothyroid and have PFS and going through kind of a similar issue as you with thyroid. both T3 and T4 seem to be lowering my libido even further despite it already being low from having PFS. I asked ray peat about it and this is what he said in an email to me.

"When a person is very hypothyroid, the stress hormones including adrenaline and cortisol increase greatly, and can keep the temperature and pulse rate up. When thyroid is normalized, they gradually decrease, letting the temperature and pulse decrease. The thyroid seems to become less effective when the average adrenaline is lower. Over a period of a few months, gradually increasing the thyroid, and keeping the stress hormones low, it’s possible to gradually find the amount of thyroid that’s needed for optimal functioning."

I'm now noticing that taking thyroid is actually lowering my temperature as time goes on which I assume is the adrenaline going down like ray mentioned. I'm slowly increasing the dosage and hoping for the best.

Progesterone

Any ideas?

It was all good until I read the last sentence. Goddamnit!

DaveFoster

Any ideas?

It takes several months for the liver and brain to adjust to hormonal changes.

Insufficient thyroid can cause depression in the short-term, as HPA activation downregulates but without optimal thyroid function as a backdrop.

vulture

Any ideas?

How were you taking T3? dose? oral? transdermal? scrotum?

ChopSuey

Any ideas?

@Joeyd Hi Joey, wondering how long it took you to get the libido back after stopping the t3? and is t3 only still having positive effects on libido/erections?

I'm having similar issues as you and I'm on a combo t4/t3(right how NDT) so curious if this could fix things.

Thank you