T4 or T3 for Fatty Liver

IVILA

Should T4 be avoided while someone has a fatty liver or is there still some benefit?

Although I can’t seem to tell the benefits from t4 and might actually feel cold while using Tyromix.

mostlylurking

Should T4 be avoided while someone has a fatty liver or is there still some benefit?

Although I can’t seem to tell the benefits from t4 and might actually feel cold while using Tyromix.
If your liver isn't working very well (fatty liver would count) then it would have trouble converting T4 into the active T3 so a combination of both would be helpful. Thiamine is also very helpful to improve liver function.

Thiamine also improves thyroid function.

OP
IVILA

IVILA

If your liver isn't working very well (fatty liver would count) then it would have trouble converting T4 into the active T3 so a combination of both would be helpful. Thiamine is also very helpful to improve liver function.

Thiamine also improves thyroid function.
Why mixed t4/t3 if the liver cannot convert it? Why not just avoid t4 completely?

mostlylurking

Why mixed t4/t3 if the liver cannot convert it? Why not just avoid t4 completely?
The liver needs energy in order to convert T4 into T3. Supplemented T3 provides that energy; it "primes the pump". Thiamine is also required by the liver's mitochondria to convert glucose into ATP (energy).

OP
IVILA

IVILA

The liver needs energy in order to convert T4 into T3. Supplemented T3 provides that energy; it "primes the pump". Thiamine is also required by the liver's mitochondria to convert glucose into ATP (energy).
Wouldn’t that mean that you may need t3 dose to be higher than t4? Like 2:1 in favour of t3. Because sometimes the t4 is just too much.

mostlylurking

Wouldn’t that mean that you may need t3 dose to be higher than t4? Like 2:1 in favour of t3. Because sometimes the t4 is just too much.
I don't think so.

suggested reading:

also this audio show: https://www.toxinless.com/polsci-080911-thyroid-and-regeneration.mp3 (terrible sound quality, well worth the effort).

OP
IVILA

IVILA

Why is taking t4 so important? The liver doesn’t convert it properly, and it may convert to rt3. Ray peats articles never say anything about having more t3 than t4. It seems to me that Ray doesn’t account for someone with a bad liver.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Why is taking t4 so important? The liver doesn’t convert it properly, and it may convert to rt3. Ray peats articles never say anything about having more t3 than t4. It seems to me that Ray doesn’t account for someone with a bad liver.
Ray discussed people with poor liver function that is commonly caused by high estrogen. The liver has to detox the estrogen out of the body; high estrogen overburdens the liver and results in poor t4 to t3 conversion. This problem is why synthetic T4 thyroid products do not work for anyone except young healthy males (who have low estrogen and healthy livers).

You can get prescription time released T3 which I suppose might work although Peat said the time release really didn't work very well. He recommended nibbling on tiny pieces of t3 throughout the day. I myself take prescription desiccated thyroid (135 mg, morning) which works for me because my liver is in good shape and meters the T3 out to me throughout the day by converting the t4 to t3 as needed.

OP
IVILA

IVILA

Ray discussed people with poor liver function that is commonly caused by high estrogen. The liver has to detox the estrogen out of the body; high estrogen overburdens the liver and results in poor t4 to t3 conversion. This problem is why synthetic T4 thyroid products do not work for anyone except young healthy males (who have low estrogen and healthy livers).

You can get prescription time released T3 which I suppose might work although Peat said the time release really didn't work very well. He recommended nibbling on tiny pieces of t3 throughout the day. I myself take prescription desiccated thyroid (135 mg, morning) which works for me because my liver is in good shape and meters the T3 out to me throughout the day by converting the t4 to t3 as needed.
So I'm not against taking t4. I can still take t4 but not at very high dosages. According to Broda Barnes, you should continue to increase the t3 dose until your symptoms disappear. If my symptoms don't disappear until a higher t3 dose and too much t4 makes me colder, then you can safely say that the ratio of t3 to t4 will be larger or 1:1.

What do you do for liver health generally? I will take your recommendation for b1.

mostlylurking

So I'm not against taking t4. I can still take t4 but not at very high dosages. According to Broda Barnes, you should continue to increase the t3 dose until your symptoms disappear. If my symptoms don't disappear until a higher t3 dose and too much t4 makes me colder, then you can safely say that the ratio of t3 to t4 will be larger or 1:1.

What do you do for liver health generally? I will take your recommendation for b1.
Here's a ringer for the equation: thiamine is needed for thyroid function. Too much thyroid supplementation = hyperthyroidism which blocks thiamine function.

When I started taking thiamine hcl in higher doses, I had hypothyroid symptoms (low body temp, no energy, very achy) even though I was still taking 180mg of NP thyroid desiccated thyroid (prescription) which had been my optimized dose for 5 years. I got my blood tests done early because I thought that I had gotten a bad batch of thyroid med. The lab test showed that my T3 was dangerously high (instead of the result I suspected). My endo lowered my dose to 135mg of NP thyroid med and I recovered (no more hypothyroid symptoms). That was 2 years ago. I continue to take 2 grams of thiamine hcl daily plus 135mg of NP thyroid; I'm doing well on this combination. I could never have figured this out without the help of my endo; he's around 87 years old with over 50 years of medical practice experience. He's seen it all.

OP
IVILA

IVILA

Here's a ringer for the equation: thiamine is needed for thyroid function. Too much thyroid supplementation = hyperthyroidism which blocks thiamine function.

When I started taking thiamine hcl in higher doses, I had hypothyroid symptoms (low body temp, no energy, very achy) even though I was still taking 180mg of NP thyroid desiccated thyroid (prescription) which had been my optimized dose for 5 years. I got my blood tests done early because I thought that I had gotten a bad batch of thyroid med. The lab test showed that my T3 was dangerously high (instead of the result I suspected). My endo lowered my dose to 135mg of NP thyroid med and I recovered (no more hypothyroid symptoms). That was 2 years ago. I continue to take 2 grams of thiamine hcl daily plus 135mg of NP thyroid; I'm doing well on this combination. I could never have figured this out without the help of my endo; he's around 87 years old with over 50 years of medical practice experience. He's seen it all.
Wouldn’t more t3 make you warmer? What were your temps and pulses like? It’s probably due to the ratios of your thyroid med.

mostlylurking

Wouldn’t more t3 make you warmer? What were your temps and pulses like? It’s probably due to the ratios of your thyroid med.
Nope. Even though I was taking 180 mg of prescription desiccated thyroid (my optimum dose for the previous 5 years), my temp was a full degree below normal (97.6 @ 3:00pm) and my pulse was all over the place (high, low, erratic). These symptoms were caused by my thiamine function being blocked by Bactrim antibiotic. My thiamine function was still blocked/nonfunctioning a full 4 months after stopping the Bactrim antibiotic. I discovered the answer to the problem by taking around 300mg of thiamine hcl with some water. Within 45 minutes, my temperature increased by a full degree and all my inflammation/pain disappeared. The pain was caused by lactic acidosis; the thiamine resolved that issue quickly (less than an hour).

mostlylurking

Too much t3 = hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism depletes thiamine (makes a deficiency/functional blockage worse). Thiamine function is required for oxidative metabolism. Good thyroid function is also required for oxidative metabolism. If your oxidative metabolism isn't working you cannot make ATP so you can't maintain normal body temperature or do much of anything else.

Jonk

Within 45 minutes, my temperature increased by a full degree and all my inflammation/pain disappeared.
What kind of pain did you have prior to the thiamine supplementation? Also, I've seen you post about thiamine several times, but do you have like a full testimonial/experience log or something regarding your own experience with it? Along with symptoms prior, how long you've taken it etc. Thanks

mostlylurking

What kind of pain did you have prior to the thiamine supplementation? Also, I've seen you post about thiamine several times, but do you have like a full testimonial/experience log or something regarding your own experience with it? Along with symptoms prior, how long you've taken it etc. Thanks
You can look at my prior posts; I've posted a lot about my experience with thiamine. My pain was severe. I could not roll over in bed with out a LOT of pain. Walking to the bathroom was excruciating. Lactic acidosis is very very painful. I tried taking aspirin, a gram at a time; it didn't help at all. Thiamine resolved it quickly.

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2014. My joints were severely inflamed. I recovered via optimizing my thyroid medication. The lactic acidosis experience in 2020, brought on by thiamine deficiency/functional blockage was worse pain. I was also disoriented and my head felt like it was full of cotton.

Jonk

You can look at my prior posts; I've posted a lot about my experience with thiamine. My pain was severe. I could not roll over in bed with out a LOT of pain. Walking to the bathroom was excruciating. Lactic acidosis is very very painful. I tried taking aspirin, a gram at a time; it didn't help at all. Thiamine resolved it quickly.

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2014. My joints were severely inflamed. I recovered via optimizing my thyroid medication. The lactic acidosis experience in 2020, brought on by thiamine deficiency/functional blockage was worse pain. I was also disoriented and my head felt like it was full of cotton.

Okay thank you for the response, I will read up on your posts as well. I realized now this thread isn't about thiamine. Sorry for "derailing".

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals