T3 Supplementation Vs Replacement

powerlifter

I have been learning and applying dietary principles of Ray Peat for a few years but one thing always baffles me is the lack of conversation (maybe sharing experiences) around 'supplementing' t3.

I know there are so many threads about it and people openly share their experiences and I am grateful about it. But still, some of the experiences are almost always about the replacement dose.

When Ray Peat or Danny Roddy try to justify the t3 supplementation, they always talk about people who were getting some t3 when they were eating fish heads and chicken necks. So supplementing t3 was natural or maybe needed.

In the context of eating these foods, getting extra t3 can be done in 2-3 times a week at most. So why Ray Peat suggests nibbling a pill throughout the day (I know he is trying to replicate natural thyroid release but still?!).

Maybe I am confusing the context in which Ray Peat talks about people (sick or healthy).

In short shouldn't we take t3 a few times a week to supplement it, instead of getting every day in doses almost at the range of replacement?

If veterans like @charlie and @haidut chimes in the issue, I would be so grateful.

Note: Sorry for my terrible English.

Thanks,

Last edited:

milkboi

Your english is great, I didn‘t notice a single mistake.

I think replacing the body‘s production of T3 with exogenous T3 isn‘t that risky, so people (myself included) experiment with it to see if their health improves that way. The endogenous production of it should come back fairly quickly after one stops taking it. That said, if you are overall healthy (which I am not yet), your approach (supplementing a bit of thyroid every other day or so) will probably only improve/stabilize your health, so that should be great as well.

LUH 3417

I’m confused because I understood Peat to be saying the thyroid product itself is hydrolyzed protein of the actual thyroid from animals and does not contain T3 or T4 but thyroglobulin which when ingested turns on endogenous T3/T4 production.

OP
P

powerlifter

Your english is great, I didn‘t notice a single mistake.

I think replacing the body‘s production of T3 with exogenous T3 isn‘t that risky, so people (myself included) experiment with it to see if their health improves that way. The endogenous production of it should come back fairly quickly after one stops taking it. That said, if you are overall healthy (which I am not yet), your approach (supplementing a bit of thyroid every other day or so) will probably only improve/stabilize your health, so that should be great as well.

Thanks @milkboi, your answer cleared some of the confusions that I have. So do you mean supplementing some T3 (8-20mcg) every other day would not have an effect on endogenous T3 production?

milkboi

Thanks @milkboi, your answer cleared some of the confusions that I have. So do you mean supplementing some T3 (8-20mcg) every other day would not have an effect on endogenous T3 production?

Yeah, like I said the risk should be pretty minimal with T3, especially in those ranges. I use 8-16mcg to keep my metabolic rate up over the day.
Experimentation is king, try those doses (or better even smaller doses in the beginning), and track your pulse, heart rate and energy levels.

After a couple of months using 1-2 drops of Tyronene (8-16mcg, the T3 still has a very noticeable effect and I go a bit hyperthyroid (in a good way), so it feels like it just adds to my own natural production.

lampofred

I don't think he mentions the fish heads and chicken necks because it would be good for us to replicate the dose of thyroid/schedule of thyroid intake we get from consuming those, I think it's more to tell people who are turned off by the idea of supplementing thyroid for the rest of their lives that traditional diets often contained substantial quantities of thyroid, so supplementing thyroid isn't unnatural.