T3 Levels Are Independently Associated With Metabolic Syndrome In Euthyroid

Wagner83

Of the study patients, 12% (n=1,664) had MetS. A higher T3 level and T3-to-T4 ratio were associated with unfavourable metabolic profiles, such as higher body mass index, systolic and diastolic blood pressure, triglycerides, fasting glucose and glycated hemoglobin, and lower high density lipoprotein cholesterol levels. The proportion of participants with MetS increased across the T3 quartile categories (P for trend <0.001) and the T3-to-T4 ratio quartile categories (P for trend <0.001). The multi-variate-adjusted OR (95% confidence interval) for MetS in the highest T3 quartile group was 1.249 (1.020 to 1.529) compared to the lowest T3 quartile group, and that in the highest T3-to-T4 ratio quartile group was 1.458 (1.141 to 1.863) compared to the lowest T3-to-T4 ratio quartile group, even after adjustment for potential confounders.

I am curious about this one, thanks for posting it. Pretty sure Peat would interpret those results differently from the author (not saying he would be right), I've heard him say the difference in diastolic and systolic pressure is the problem, while HDL is not the "good cholesterol" and triglycerides are not inherently bad .

Last edited:

Diokine

I think that someone with metabolic syndrome could plausibly have higher serum levels of T3, because the cells are unable to transport the molecule into the cell effectively. The evidence I've seen shows that elevated serum T3 levels are generally indicators of some kind of dysfunction.

OP
P

paymanz

@Diokine good point,

Probably high triglycerides and high free fatty acids can prevent t3 intering the cells.

I trying to find a study I read a while ago comparing high fat and high carb diet after a period of starvation.in that it shown high carb diet increases energy expenditure but t3 level was slightly higher in high fat diet.... It was a study fro 80s I think,,,,but now that I search again I only can find a similar study but without the starvation period, showing opposite!!

I will post that study if I find it.

In obese people or people with metabolic syndrome FFA level are higher , that may explain higher t3 in serum.

Also higher fatty acids in blood increase carnitine production which can inhibit t3 interance into the cell.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals