jaywills

Hi All,

I am a 22 y.o hypothyroid male, based in the UK. I have been on Levothroxine (T4 only) for the last 6 months (100mcg per day), with littleimprovement in symptoms depsite my 'numbers being in check (according to the NHS). TSH <1 0.34 i believe.

Symptoms include: severe insomnia, constipation, estrogen dominance, general fatigue and malaise.

I have been peating for 4 months now; typical diet is: Lactose free milk, Grape juice, cod, shellfish, gelatin, coconut oil, mature cheddar, prawns (shrimp). I cannot stomach lots of lactose (hence the lactose free milk) and if i drink O.J (despite trying numerous brands - even ones that sepersate) i get a white tongue and bloat.

I am dropping the milk in an experiment from today (i beleive it may be causing insomnia - maybe histmaine reaction) but i cannot stomach goats milk (makes me gag)

I beleive I may need some T3 in order to improve, but all doctors on NHS refuse to prescribe....

I am willing to try NDT, but living in the UK it is hard to get - the only ones i can get hold of are Nutri Meds Porcine, or Bovine, of IHerb. would this be worth a try? Any help would be much appreciated.

dukez07

It may be large amounts of liquids that is causing a stress reaction in your body. Cheese doesn't give me the same issues that I get with milk. If I drink a quart of milk, I need many, many tablespoons of sugar to go with it.

Do you not eat liver or meat? I couldn't see that in there from what you listed.

I had my blood work done recently and my TSH was 2.36. I'm guessing that's pretty awful. I've been Peating for 6 months.

Diet alone doesn't cut it for me either, right now. I am also getting no joy from cynomel (t3). It seems to make me feel better in some respects, but has a worrying side effect for me (seems to cause quite bad depression with continued use). My whole body is just ****88.

I got t3 from some Italian pharmacy.

OP
J

jaywills

Hi Duke, thanks for the response.

Yes you could be on to something with all the liqiuids, although i do consume a lot of salt per day and my urine does remain yellow for the majority of the day (and i urinate rarely, once very 3-4 hours)?

When you say cheese, would mature cheddar be ok? Like cathedral city for example? I have been eating cheddar recently, and store bought low fat cottage cheese, but are you suggesting any other types, (in the uk)?

I eat liver once or twice per week, roughly 500g per week. For other meats i occasionally have steak but balance that with gelatin.

I have dropped all starch - but do feel warmer after potatoes, white rice. Those are my only carb sources and i was eating them post-workout. I may re-introduce them because they do not bloat me and i do not have issues with them like O.J does

I feel for you bro, its a shame simple diet changes do not give us the instant improvement we require/expect. Although i do feel better on this diet and do feel that i am getting better slowly. To be fair, i spent a lot of time exercising fasted, low carbing, high PUFA consumption and other life stressors (little sunlight, uni degree etc). I believe my ill health has been a culmination of years of abusing my body (unintentionally) so it will take time to recover. We will do it Duke but it may take longer than we think....

Thanks for the headsup on the t3, i am still debating even whether to supplement it.

dukez07

The post from Charlie (second post) in this thread mentions some of the Peat approved cheeses (AFAIK):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=258

I've tried parmigiano reggiano, pecorino romano and gran padano. Pecorino Romano is the saltiest one, but has higher PUFA content than the other two. You can get all these cheeses in tesco for about £2.50 for 170-200g.

aguilaroja

jaywills said:
Hi All,

I am a 22 y.o hypothyroid male, based in the UK. I have been on Levothroxine (T4 only) for the last 6 months (100mcg per day), with littleimprovement in symptoms depsite my 'numbers being in check (according to the NHS). TSH <1 0.34 i believe.
Symptoms include: severe insomnia, constipation, estrogen dominance, general fatigue and malaise.
I am willing to try NDT, but living in the UK it is hard to get...

If there were low thyroid symptoms and corresponding TSH elevation before supplementing adding T3 sounds like something to explore. I don't know the most accessible option for our situation, or whether overseas ordering is feasible in your jurisdiction. NDT would be my second choice to bio-identical T3 & T4, but NDT works for some people.

I have experimented with several of the freeze-dried thyroid glandulars over the years, out of curiosity, but not the ones you mentioned. They seem generally a bit boosting, but a step below the Armour/Naturethroid etc. preparations.

For some, a little T3 in the evening can be very helpful for insomnia. However, other people are energized by T3 late in the day. It's best to experiment on a day when you can sleep late, in case T3 is energizing.

If T3 is difficult to come by, you might consider pregnenolone, in addition to the staple Peat-y foods.

You can search the forum and read about many other Peat-y sleep aids.