T3 Fights Fatty Liver

Thyroid hormone stimulates hepatic fatty acid metabolism via lipophagy

Autophagy is a catabolic process that promotes hepatic cell survival during starvation and metabolic stress. Currently, little is known about the endocrine regulation of autophagy. Recent studies by Singh et al. (Nature 458, 1131–1135 (2009)) showed a critical link between autophagy and beta oxidation in hepatocytes. Accordingly, we examined whether hormones known to promote beta oxidation of fatty acids also stimulated autophagy in hepatic cells. Surprisingly, we found that T3 stimulated autophagy in human hepatic cells in vitro and in mouse liver in vivo. In particular, T3 increased LC3 II and decreased p62 protein expression levels in HepG2TRalpha cells and hepatocytes. Moreover, studies using chloroquine treatment to block autophagsome/lysosome fusion and microscopic localization of RFP-GFP flurorescent tagged LC3 both demonstrated that T3 increased overall autophagic flux. Bodipy-staining and electron microscopy studies of hepatic cells showed that T3-induced autophagy remarkably involved formation of lipophagosomes that ingest lipids from fat droplets and fuse with lysosomes before fatty acid delivery to mitochondria. This T3-mediated lipophagy was also associated with increased beta-oxidation as T3 increased Cpt-1α expression. In this connection, knockdown studies using ATG5 siRNA demonstrated that T3-dependent beta oxidation of fatty acids was dependent upon autophagy. Our findings show that T3 plays a critical role in the regulation of fatty acid metabolism by co-ordinately inducing lipophagy and beta-oxidation. They also suggest that T3 or its analogs may be useful for the treatment of NAFLD, a common condition with high morbidity caused by excess fat accumulation in the livers of patients with obesity and diabetes.

morgan#1

@ecstatichamster
Hmm. Do you wanna surmise my situation? Please, lol. I’ve made the jump into Haidut’s T3 only, and Tyromix at the end of the day. Taking one drop orally of the former and 3 drops of Tyromix on my wrist at the end of the day. I’ve been doing this about a month. I don’t want to overdo it. Maybe that’s not enough? I’ve never gotten any drastic positive results. My heart beats very strongly w Tyromix. And the T3 makes a little cold (hands and feet). I’ve made sure to fill my tank before I dose.

I’ve read here, that it takes time. Well I thought I had read that, maybe by such saturation or possibly by you? I eat close to 3,000 cals daily. 120g protein, maybe 50-70g fat, and the rest carbs. I’ve tried no-starch but I don’t know. I’m experimenting. I do weightlifting about every other day.

I get energy for a short time, and then it dissipates. I realize that my body is getting used to all that sugar. I take, among other things, taurine (4-6g spread) because I don’t have a gallbladder. Now, everything I hear is about fatty liver, and I am obsessing about that one! I’ve been using pure fructose as my main source of sugar. As well, I’ve been taking aspirin (with k2) about 4-5 times a day. The larger amount of aspirin thing has been about 4 days. But I’ve been taking at least 1g throughout since I started this very interesting and taxing diet plan.

I’m just waiting till my body is going to switch, I know I have that energy in me, some days are really good. But what I’m curious about the T3 is that why does my body not get excited. Is this time? My TSH is 1.3, I weigh 118 at 5’4”. Physically I look fit but there is something slowing me down. I have histamine (sinuses are intermittent, it seems to be all the time, possibly I’m allergic to milk or Orange juice, but I don’t know how that would feel, maybe just like this.) I imagine I have plenty of Nitric Oxide, seratonin. (I just got some Pepcid, cross my fingers). I get all in my head and just living life, living one day at a time, sometimes is hard.

Eating peaty, filled all my vitamins and minerals on Chronometer, with the exception of iron, but I don’t think I have a lot of iron. I started supplementing blackstrap molasses two or three days a week for the iron. I know that once I get my thyroid healthy all will fall into place. Wondering why the topical and oral are not registering for me? And the T3 makes my cold.

Bottom line is am I right? Does it take time? And is there a moment where it switches, or should I be doing something? Undermethylators are kinda a buzz on the internet and even here. And I do believe that I fall into that category. But I am just hoping to do it the old school way; following Peat, and making the thyroid and liver healthy. I’m hypothyroid, but that is getting better. Last night I only woke one time to pee!

Does anyone have any clues? There’s a wealth of info here on this site. I’ve bookmarked and screenshot so much that I can’t keep track. If there’s any info for me in specific, I have had a lot of “trauma “ (car accident, father committing suicide, ed for close to 30 years), but a plus on my side is that I was born in a very high altitude spot. Aspen, CO.
Anyone have any clues they want to share?

Last edited:
OP
ecstatichamster
man, here is what I would do. Drop the fructose and probably all the supplements. I'd eat for fun. Avoid PUFAs completely, but strive for high fruit, white potatoes, a bit of meat, seafood, pizza. Above all ENJOY YOUR FOOD.

My gosh, I get everything from you except that you seem GRIM, to be quite straightforward, in your ticking off the boxes. But the biggest box is ENJOYMENT IN LIFE.

You are probably over training also, almost certainly. Every other day workouts are a lot especially if it's strength building.

By FAR most important is the above. All the rest are details. ENJOY YOUR FOOD and do not overtrain and overstress.

morgan#1

@ecstatichamster
That’s so funny, I guess I am transparent! I went to see a 3D movie with my sister, we got super high. And I had tons of fun. And it took my mind off of obsessing. Which I do, my mind pulls inside when it’s not experiencing life.

It’s interesting that you said toss the supplements, I’m away for the night, and I didn’t bring that stash with me, I feel much better. And it’s actually fun every little thing I do, and not fixated on my “health”. I believe that’s what brings me down. When I’m questioning my energy, second guessing, and controlling the uncontrollable. Ie health=happiness.

I’m assuming your response was that I am just fine, I should wait it out. Have glimpses of that awesome feeling that I’ve gotten since following the Peat plan. And just keep my head up and out. Ha ha. I know I’ll get there.

Thank you for your response, am grateful for all the things I’ve learned. 6 months ago I was shovelling

Last edited:

morgan#1

I’ve read Peat saying that fructose in specific bypasses a lot that sugar doesn’t. Just wondering why you would tell me to drop fructose? Especially in my circumstance.

OP
ecstatichamster
I’ve read Peat saying that fructose in specific bypasses a lot that sugar doesn’t. Just wondering why you would tell me to drop fructose? Especially in my circumstance.

because it's not real food. I don't think Peat has advocated eating fructose. But eating fruit, or drinking orange juice, that is a different story.

morgan#1

Of course natural food is optimal, but I am coming from a damaged place: no gallbladder, extreme exercise, and weak energy most times, and I am trying anything Peat-approved for my situation. Fatty liver, not being able to respond to T of any sort.

I’ve heard talks of his that plain old fructose will help, it has a special place. I should just listen to myself and go at it alone, with the amazing help of Peat. Actually there are a few on here that have more than opened my eyes. But maybe I should just look on here for a specific reason.

Not coming down on you ecstatic, because you are telling me the “safe” way, but I am sure to get my vitamins and minerals and then I am having fructose in my BCAA’s. 4 tsp. Sometimes more in other things. For the most part no table sugar, just fructose. I’m trying to learn my body. It’s a live organism and what is right for it now, will be irrelevant (hopefully) in a while.

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/02/03/thumbs-up-fructose/

Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.
In his “Sugar issues” newsletter, he says that:
“Besides being one of the forms of sugar involved in ordinary energy production, interchangeable with glucose, fructose has some special functions, that aren't as well performed by glucose. It is the main sugar involved in reproduction, in the seminal fluid and intrauterine fluid, and in the developing fetus. After these crucial stages of life are past, glucose becomes the primary molecular source of energy, except when the system is under stress. It has been suggested (Jauniaux, et al., 2005) that the predominance of fructose rather than glucose in the embryo's environment helps to maintain ATP and the oxidative state (cellular redox potential) during development in the low-oxygen environment.

And further in said newsletter: “Fructose has been known for many years to accelerate the oxidation of ethanol (by about 80%). Oxygen consumption in the presence of ethanol is increased by fructose more than by glucose (Thieden and Lundquist, 1967). Besides removing the alcohol from the body more quickly, it prevents the oxidative damage, by maintaining or restoring the cell's redox balance, the relatively oxidized state of the NADH/NAD+, lactate/pyruvate, and GSH/GSSH systems. Although glucose has this stabilizing, pro-oxidative function in many situations, this is a general feature of fructose, sometimes allowing it to have the opposite effect of glucose on the cell's redox state. It seems to be largely this generalized shift of the cell's redox state towards oxidation that is behind the ability of a small amount of fructose to catalyze the more rapid oxidation of a large amount of glucose.
Besides protecting against the reductive stresses, fructose can also protect against the oxidative stress of increased hydrogen peroxide (Spasojevic, et al., 2009). Its metabolite, fructose 1,6-bisphosphate, is even more effective as an antioxidant.
Keeping the metabolic rate high has many benefits, including the rapid renewal of cells and their components, such as cholesterol and other lipids, and proteins, which are always susceptible to damage from oxidants, but the high metabolic rate also tends to keep the redox system in the proper balance, reducing the rate of oxidative damage.
Endotoxin absorbed from the intestine is one of the ubiquitous stresses that tends to cause free radical damage. Fructose, probably more than glucose, is protective against damage from endotoxin......Besides being one of the forms of sugar involved in ordinary energy production, interchangeable with glucose, fructose has some special functions, that aren't as well performed by glucose. It is the main sugar involved in reproduction, in the seminal fluid and intrauterine fluid, and in the developing fetus. After these crucial stages of life are past, glucose becomes the primary molecular source of energy, except when the system is under stress.”

My life has been stress induced, and I’m earnestly trying to do things that will help me. As I’ve learned, we are all specific organisms, and the key for one will not be the key for another. Maybe that’s what the vast majority of doctors get wrong.

I appreciate your help. But I guess this experience has taught me to go to the source, and not raypeatforums. I value the information given, but I guess I have to take it with a grain (or many;)) of salt.

I do think you’re right in some sense, because it seems that fructose is made from corn.

And I would love to just use honey or a natural food source. But I don’t think that will cut it right now. I used honey daily, and then when my body was not progressing, I used the fructose. And right now I’m waiting....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals