T3 During Water Fasting

RPDiciple

Hello gang

I know water fasting is popular but not recommended. I have also read some studies of water fasting were they show that T3 drops, T4 drops and TSH raises during water fasting. So i was wondering if supplementing some T3 during water fast would be beneficial and decrease some of the negative effects off water fasting? or will it maybe make things worse?

Maljam

Sounds like a horrible idea to be honest, you shouldn't be stoking the fire while fasting.

OP
R

RPDiciple

Maybe you are right. If you look at this paper

https://watermark.silverchair.com/j...vM8tz6Fi3q0QtJWl2cYl3lLiCkdhSDJf0a4W98DNF_3FP

"In conclusion, we found that fasting for 7 days significantly reduced urea nitrogen excretion and glucose appearance and increased leucine oxidation, but did not affect leucine appearance or the basal metabolic rate. Short term T3, supplementation
during the fast increased glucose appearance, did not alter the basal metabolic rate, and did not increase urinary urea nitrogen excretion or leucine appearance. Thus, our results do not support the hypothesis that a fall in serum T3, during fasting
mediates protein sparing." So since T3 increased glucose apperance means that probably more protein was broken down? which means its bad.

redsun

Maybe you are right. If you look at this paper

https://watermark.silverchair.com/j...vM8tz6Fi3q0QtJWl2cYl3lLiCkdhSDJf0a4W98DNF_3FP

"In conclusion, we found that fasting for 7 days significantly reduced urea nitrogen excretion and glucose appearance and increased leucine oxidation, but did not affect leucine appearance or the basal metabolic rate. Short term T3, supplementation
during the fast increased glucose appearance, did not alter the basal metabolic rate, and did not increase urinary urea nitrogen excretion or leucine appearance. Thus, our results do not support the hypothesis that a fall in serum T3, during fasting
mediates protein sparing." So since T3 increased glucose apperance means that probably more protein was broken down? which means its bad.

Probably? It is very bad. T3 will increase the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. It will catabolize your muscle much faster then normal because you arent consuming glucose but its burning glucose more, forcing you to make it from muscle via cortisol.

Not too mention you arent consuming any food at all, deplete micronutrients faster with T3 without putting anything back in.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hello gang

I know water fasting is popular but not recommended. I have also read some studies of water fasting were they show that T3 drops, T4 drops and TSH raises during water fasting. So i was wondering if supplementing some T3 during water fast would be beneficial and decrease some of the negative effects off water fasting? or will it maybe make things worse?
The body is purposefully lowering thyroid during a fast, so taking T3 when it's supposed to be low is a bad idea. Peter Attia took T3 during a fast and according to his bloods, his body converted it to rT3 right away.

OP
R

RPDiciple

The body is purposefully lowering thyroid during a fast, so taking T3 when it's supposed to be low is a bad idea. Peter Attia took T3 during a fast and according to his bloods, his body converted it to rT3 right away.
Get you. You cant get rT3 from T3 tho but still, i get the point.

OP
R

RPDiciple

Probably? It is very bad. T3 will increase the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. It will catabolize your muscle much faster then normal because you arent consuming glucose but its burning glucose more, forcing you to make it from muscle via cortisol.

Not too mention you arent consuming any food at all, deplete micronutrients faster with T3 without putting anything back in.
I agree on the surface as well, however this study shows that this is not whats happening.

Last edited: