Synthetic Vitamin C: Another Blow At Fortification

rei

Yes, totally agree. I was just commenting on this "real vitamin c" woowoo some people have bought. Of course the plant (extract) is going to contain lots of more stuff than the isolated vitamin, some of which might be beneficial, especially in combination. Nature tends to do things like that

vitamin c powder is ideal for use as a drug, a specific purpose when large doses are needed. I would not try to get 20 grams of vitamin c through plants, it could easily turn toxic.

yerrag

I don't think so. And people wouldn't have bothered for over a thousand years of documented history if it didn't work. I wouldn't fixate on pine needles. My point is that plants with tons of vitamin C in them are common. It's just simply not hard to source. You don't need to trust some industrial supply chain and multiple regulatory agencies. Humanity made it this far without them.
I'm really interested in the pine needles. But I don't see why heating the vitamin C in the pine needles won't in any way affect its potency the way it would on synthetic vitamin C. I have respect for tradition but it doesn't keep me from questioning it.

OP
S

somuch4food

Synthetic vitamin C seems to be making me feel tired and stiff even at doses < 1000 mg. I will be going on a low to no ascorbic acid stint and see if it helps.

Anyway, I think it is dangerous for anyone to push one supplement as a cure all like some were attempting on the thread. There is absolutely nothing that's 100% safe to eat/intake. Everything is an act of balance between your current body chemistry and the chemistry of the food/supplements taken.

Dave Clark

I used megadoses of vitamin C for years, and now that I know more, I believe that, along with a multi supplement that had fairly high zinc, threw my copper balance off without me knowing it. You put trust in the organizations that research this stuff, I was a member of the Life Extension Foundation, and if they say something is good and present references, you tend to just trust them. Well, over the years, I started doing my own research (one of the ways I ended up here), and found out that you can't trust any one expert to have all the answers. LEF promotes and sells fish oil, resveratrol, and other things that I now do not agree with. I switched my vitamin C to a wholefood type, and only use about two grams/day, as opposed to the 10 to 20 grams I was using. I also stopped with the high dose zinc, since I eat meat I don't think I needed more, and it just drove down my bio-available copper, I believe. I still think IV vitamin C, or high dose oral has a place for treating disease, but I am not sure it is the way to go for anti-aging, but I keep learning and try to keep an open mind.