Symptoms after Sat fat, coffee, sugar

rivercurrents

Hi People

My wife (36) is struggling on a Peat inspired diet. Her health has been poor since her 20s when she was exposed to environmental toxins from hairdressing and dental assistant work.

She notices the following symptoms when she consumes saturated fat (coconut oil) and also caffeine, refined sugar, or anything containing alcohol, soya lecithin, additives, many supplements etc.

Nausea, headaches, janudice, visibly increased cellulite, burning sensation in her skin, muscle pain spasms (legs mostly).

When she avoids saturated fat and has more PUFA (avocadoes, nut butters, fish, seeds etc) she notices a reduction in these symptoms and some improvements. However it seems that such improvements are fairly temporary, as usually within a few weeks of eating in this way, she usually feels unwell and changes her diet yet again...

I'm trying to help her understand what' s going on in her body and encourage her to perservere with the low-pufa diet but she says the coconut oil distinctly raises her symptoms....

Does anyone here have any idea what might be going on in her body? Or have had similar symptoms? Her body-weight is within healthy range (54-57kg at about 1.64m tall).

Cheers
Warren

pboy

coconut oil effs me up too, and pretty much any fruit. Caffeine isn't a problem, but coffee can be irritating in more than small amounts...unless its exceptionally smooth. Theres no reason not to encourage her to eat what makes her feel best, at least that will give some space while not suffering to think about things

HDD

What is her morning temperature and heart rate? Cold tolerance?

J

j.

Just to rule out things... is it refined coconut oil from a glass container?

OP
R

rivercurrents

Her resting heart rate is generally quite high (not sure if it's high from adrenalin or adequate metabolism). I think around the 80 bpm mark - though I'll ask her to measure morning heart rate. The last time we measured body temp she was 36.6C orally...

The coconut oil we use is Nutiva via iherb. Organic and cold pressed. http://www.iherb.com/Nutiva-Organic-Ext ... 1-6-L/7311

I forgot to mention she also suffers from constipation and has found that a capsule of cascara sagrada per day helps with this.

She generally does okay in cold temperatures and finds hot days more intolerable... (needing to rest in a cool dark room). She finds bright light often triggers migraine or headache and so she wears sunglasses most the time, including when inside or when watching movies on a computer screen.

Premenstrual week is VERY difficult for her, with emotional vulnerability and increased discomfort, period flow is consistently heavy/high. She has been measured to be highly anemic (which we understand doesn't necessarily mean iron deficient). She experiences high levels of anxiety on a daily basis. She avoids sun exposure and uses an organic suncream - http://www.iherb.com/Aubrey-Organics-Na ... 8-ml/33244

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

HDD

SYMPTOMS OF LOW THYROID, HIGH ESTROGEN, LOW PROGESTERONE:
ALL female problems (tumors, fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, PMS, cramps (dysmenorrheal), amenorrhea, female cancers, spontaneous abortion, cyclic seizures, dry vagina and infertility), weight problems (usually high, sometimes low) gallbladder disease (six times higher in women with excess estrogen or on birth control pills or ERT), and abnormal facial hair.
OTHER PHYSICAL SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS: fatigue and insomnia, immune system problems, (chronic infections anywhere such as bronchitis, frequent colds, etc.), asthma, heart disease, cancer, colon problems (constipation, appendicitis, cancer), hair loss in men and women, excess facial hair in women, skin problems (dry skin, acne, psoriasis, eczema, etc.), osteoporosis, arthritis, low blood sugar, allergies and digestive problems, cold hands and feet, sensitive to changes in temperature, blood pressure problems (high or low), weight problems (high or low), a hoarse voice, vision problems and other symptoms.
MENTAL/EMOTIONAL SYMPTOMS: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADD), moody, irritable behavior, excessive crying or worrying, depression (a classic symptom) an

I am not sure what the source if this is. Possibly Lita Lee. It looks like I didn't quite get the whole thing but it covers quite a bit.

Is she eating the carrot salad daily?

HDD

"Chronic constipation, and anxiety which decreases blood circulation in the intestine, can increase the liver’s exposure to endotoxin. Endotoxin (like intense physical activity) causes the estrogen concentration of the blood to rise. Diets that speed intestinal peristalsis might be expected to postpone menopause. Penicillin treatment, probably by lowering endotoxin production, is known to decrease estrogen and cortisone, while increasing progesterone. The same effect can be achieved by eating raw carrots (especially with coconut oil/olive oil dressing) every day, to reduce the amount of bacterial toxins absorbed, and to help in the excretion of estrogen. Finally, long hours of daylight are known to increase progesterone production, and long hours of darkness are stressful. Annually, our total hours of day and night are the same regardless of latitude, but different ways of living, levels of artificial illumination, etc., have a strong influence on our hormones. In some animal experiments, prolonged exposure to light has delayed some aspects of aging.”

OP
R

rivercurrents

Thanks! She has some of those symptoms... PMS, fatigue, constipation, acne (occasional and not severe), worrying, depression...

I'm fairly sure she's been having her raw carrot daily - either on it's own or as the salad...

J

j.

rivercurrents said:
The coconut oil we use is Nutiva via iherb. Organic and cold pressed. http://www.iherb.com/Nutiva-Organic-Ext ... 1-6-L/7311

Many people are allergic to virgin coconut oil. Ray Peat advises refined coconut oil. I react badly to coconut oil from plastic containers, I think due to the estrogenic effects of the plastic. I would try a refined coconut oil from a glass container, such as expeller pressed coconut oil from Tropical Traditions.

HDD

"After eating breakfast, the cortisol (and adrenalin, if it stayed high despite the increased cortisol) will start returning to a more normal, lower level, as the blood sugar is sustained by food, instead of by the stress hormones. In some hypothyroid people, this is a good time to measure the temperature and pulse rate. In a normal person, both temperature and pulse rate rise after breakfast, but in very hypothyroid people either, or both, might fall."

Besides waking temperature, she should take it again after breakfast.

Temperature should rise to 98.6 mid morning and stay up most of the day.