Switching to OJ concentrate and powdered milk makes a huge difference

lampofred

The additional water content is really anti-thyroid, at least in people with already weak thyroids.

Just wanted to share.

Be careful with concentrates with added sugar, because non-organic sugar may have glyphosate.

Razvan

The additional water content is really anti-thyroid, at least in people with already weak thyroids.

Just wanted to share.

Be careful with concentrates with added sugar, because non-organic sugar may have glyphosate.
How do you use powdered milk?

Razvan

Just wanted to share.

In my experience it's true ,but this can be avoided by upping the sodium.
I needed 2-3 tbps of salt when drinking 3 l of milk and 2 of OJ and only peed 3 times daily.

Kram

Interesting, I was using powdered milk last year but then stopped as some people on this forum mentioned it wasn't good for you (I forget the reasoning). Feel like aspects of my health were better then

Kram

@Hans @Jennifer Do either of you have any opinions/insights on powdered milk vs. regular milk? You guys seem to be the milk experts. No worries if not.

Jennifer

@Hans @Jennifer Do either of you have any opinions/insights on powdered milk vs. regular milk? You guys seem to be the milk experts. No worries if not.

The only potential issue with powdered milk that I know of is the oxidation of cholesterol, tryptophan and cysteine (the amino acids that are easily degraded). Personally, I think fresh is best but find powdered milk to be so versatile—I use it to thicken milkshakes, yogurt, custards etc. and for making milk powder pancakes—and convenient—when I can’t get to the farm, particularly in the winter during a blizzard, I always have a backup. I order 10 lb bags of it at a time:

60F3C445-0B3D-4D74-9885-43953B217BA3.jpeg

Here are some quotes and a convo with Ray regarding powdered milk:

“It’s not as good as fresh milk, or cheese, but when they aren’t available, 100 grams (or more) would be a good addition to the diet, because of the high ratio of calcium to phosphate, as well as other nutrients.” Ray Peat

“Ray: The original dried milk powder 100 years ago was made from whole milk, which would have had a lot more cholesterol than skimmed milk, but most milk powder is defatted now. In the first article below, notice that the concentration is given for a lipid extract of the powder, while in the second article, the concentrations are in relation to the powdered food itself, so the first numbers would be at least 25 times smaller for the whole powder, to be comparable.

Nahrung. 2000 Apr;44(2):122-5.
Determination of cholesterol oxidation products in milk powder and infant formulas by gas chromatography and mass spectrometry.
Przygonski K, Jelen H, Wasowicz E.

In this paper a method for the cholesterol oxidation products (oxysterols) determination in milk powder and infant formulas has been presented. In the sample preparation step lipids transesterification has been performed. The recoveries of oxysterols have been determined and ranged from 94.2% to 99.9% for all but 20a-hydroxy cholesterol (74.2%). Detection limits were 0.018-0.034 ppm and the relative standard deviations (RSD) values were 4.6%-18.3%. The method has been utilized for the determination of oxysterols in milk-based infant formulas and milk powder available on the market. The concentration of oxysterols was between 0.04 and 4.20 ppm of a lipid extract fraction.

Journal of Food Protection Volume 52, Issue 2 (February 1989)
B. D. SANDER, P. B. ADDIS, S. W. PARK, and D. E. SMITH (1989) Quantification of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in a Variety of Foods. Journal of Food Protection: February 1989, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 109-114.
Quantification of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in a Variety of Foods | Journal of Food Protection
Quantification of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in a Variety of Foods
B. D. SANDER, P. B. ADDIS*1, S. W. PARK2 AND D. E. SMITH
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, 1334 Eckles Avenue, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, Minnesota 55108 1Department of Food Science and Nutrition, St. Paul, MN 55108

Cholesterol oxidation products (COPS) were estimated in a variety of foods by gas chromatography. Substantial quantities of α- and β-epoxide (2 to 46 and 0 to 111 ppm, respectively) and lesser quantities of 7β-hydroxy- and 7-ketocholesterol were found in powdered egg products. Other foods found to contain COPS included dehydrated chicken, turkey and beef (0 to 43 ppm); and Cheddar, Blue, Romano and Parmesan cheese powders (0 to 17 ppm). Powdered infant formulas and dehydrated baby foods displayed several peaks coinciding to COPS but none were confirmed by mass spectroscopy. COPS were either not detected or noted at < 15 ppm in fresh dairy products.”

And a convo between the Ray Peat inspired nutritionist, Emma Sgourakis, and Ray:

“Ray: Tryptophan and cysteine are the amino acids that are easily degraded; the oxidized products could be harmful, but too much of those amino acids can be harmful anyway, so the overall effect isn’t really known.

Emma: So is it safe to assume that if you were only using half a cup or so of powdered milk daily (if that) then the effects of the degraded tryptophan and cysteine wouldn’t be enough to worry about … not much different to a bit of cooked muscle meat anyway?

Ray: Yes, anything cooked has those same effects, and the oxidized phytosterols probably have effects very similar to the oxidized cholesterol products. Raw foods have other problems—fruits and milk are the only raw things without special problems.”

And in case anyone is interested, here is the milk powder pancake recipe I use:

milk powder pancakes | The Nutrition Coach

Kram

The only potential issue with powdered milk that I know of is the oxidation of cholesterol, tryptophan and cysteine (the amino acids that are easily degraded). Personally, I think fresh is best but find powdered milk to be so versatile—I use it to thicken milkshakes, yogurt, custards etc. and for making milk powder pancakes—and convenient—when I can’t get to the farm, particularly in the winter during a blizzard, I always have a backup. I order 10 lb bags of it at a time:

View attachment 22388

Here are some quotes and a convo with Ray regarding powdered milk:

“It’s not as good as fresh milk, or cheese, but when they aren’t available, 100 grams (or more) would be a good addition to the diet, because of the high ratio of calcium to phosphate, as well as other nutrients.” Ray Peat

“Ray: The original dried milk powder 100 years ago was made from whole milk, which would have had a lot more cholesterol than skimmed milk, but most milk powder is defatted now. In the first article below, notice that the concentration is given for a lipid extract of the powder, while in the second article, the concentrations are in relation to the powdered food itself, so the first numbers would be at least 25 times smaller for the whole powder, to be comparable.

Nahrung. 2000 Apr;44(2):122-5.
Determination of cholesterol oxidation products in milk powder and infant formulas by gas chromatography and mass spectrometry.
Przygonski K, Jelen H, Wasowicz E.

In this paper a method for the cholesterol oxidation products (oxysterols) determination in milk powder and infant formulas has been presented. In the sample preparation step lipids transesterification has been performed. The recoveries of oxysterols have been determined and ranged from 94.2% to 99.9% for all but 20a-hydroxy cholesterol (74.2%). Detection limits were 0.018-0.034 ppm and the relative standard deviations (RSD) values were 4.6%-18.3%. The method has been utilized for the determination of oxysterols in milk-based infant formulas and milk powder available on the market. The concentration of oxysterols was between 0.04 and 4.20 ppm of a lipid extract fraction.

Journal of Food Protection Volume 52, Issue 2 (February 1989)
B. D. SANDER, P. B. ADDIS, S. W. PARK, and D. E. SMITH (1989) Quantification of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in a Variety of Foods. Journal of Food Protection: February 1989, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 109-114.
Quantification of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in a Variety of Foods | Journal of Food Protection
Quantification of Cholesterol Oxidation Products in a Variety of Foods
B. D. SANDER, P. B. ADDIS*1, S. W. PARK2 AND D. E. SMITH
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, 1334 Eckles Avenue, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, Minnesota 55108 1Department of Food Science and Nutrition, St. Paul, MN 55108

Cholesterol oxidation products (COPS) were estimated in a variety of foods by gas chromatography. Substantial quantities of α- and β-epoxide (2 to 46 and 0 to 111 ppm, respectively) and lesser quantities of 7β-hydroxy- and 7-ketocholesterol were found in powdered egg products. Other foods found to contain COPS included dehydrated chicken, turkey and beef (0 to 43 ppm); and Cheddar, Blue, Romano and Parmesan cheese powders (0 to 17 ppm). Powdered infant formulas and dehydrated baby foods displayed several peaks coinciding to COPS but none were confirmed by mass spectroscopy. COPS were either not detected or noted at < 15 ppm in fresh dairy products.”

And a convo between the Ray Peat inspired nutritionist, Emma Sgourakis, and Ray:

“Ray: Tryptophan and cysteine are the amino acids that are easily degraded; the oxidized products could be harmful, but too much of those amino acids can be harmful anyway, so the overall effect isn’t really known.

Emma: So is it safe to assume that if you were only using half a cup or so of powdered milk daily (if that) then the effects of the degraded tryptophan and cysteine wouldn’t be enough to worry about … not much different to a bit of cooked muscle meat anyway?

Ray: Yes, anything cooked has those same effects, and the oxidized phytosterols probably have effects very similar to the oxidized cholesterol products. Raw foods have other problems—fruits and milk are the only raw things without special problems.”

And in case anyone is interested, here is the milk powder pancake recipe I use:

milk powder pancakes | The Nutrition Coach
Thanks!

Jennifer

You’re welcome, @Kram! :)

Sefton10

was using powdered milk last year but then stopped as some people on this forum mentioned it wasn't good for you (I forget the reasoning).
IIRC I think Ray has mentioned more recently it was something to do with the use of nanoparticles when manufacturing it.

This article is pretty brutal about milk adulteration.

hei

Interesting, I was using powdered milk last year but then stopped as some people on this forum mentioned it wasn't good for you (I forget the reasoning). Feel like aspects of my health were better then
It's high in endotoxin.
"On average, farm milk contains less than 1 ng LPS/ml. Freshly produced market milk contains an equally low concentration of LPS .... Milk powder contained significantly higher concentrations of lipopolysaccharides, averaging 11,000 ng LPS/g"

LLight

Fluid restriction should push betaine into your cells.

OP
L

lampofred

Fluid restriction should push betaine into your cells.
Sounds like betaine might be lowering histamine?

LLight

From another publication:

In conclusion, our results indicate that betaine can regulate mitochondrial dynamics through fission and fusion events and betaine-mediated mitochondrial changes positively reverse from mitochondrial OXPHOS dysfunction to normal physiological status. Therefore, discovery for new compounds like betaine having enhancing ability of mitochondrial fusion, DRP1 inhibitors, or Mfn2 agonists are of great interest for the therapeutic potential for the treatment of mitochondrial dysfunction-related diseases.

famalalam

Experiment with it again. I started consuming milk powder recently despite what users on this forum has to say about it and I've noticed nothing but positive results.

BearWithMe

Also, hydroxyapatite nanoparticles are created in the milk during the drying proccess.

You don't want nanoparticles in your digestive system.

Wagner83

Also, hydroxyapatite nanoparticles are created in the milk during the drying proccess.

You don't want nanoparticles in your digestive system.
When I've used sensodyne / novamin, I have woken up in the middle of the night with an intense feeling of stress. This is even after spitting out as much as I could and swishing water and spitting it out again. I haven't used it enough to be 100 % sure of the connection, but it happened a few times so I haven't been tempted to use it since.