Swimming in cold water: unbearably painful

alephx

Hello, wanted to share an observation

Yesterday after having a record hot day in our city, I thought what better way to end it than with a swim at the sea.

Outdoors was around 105F / 40C and very tolerable. The water I have always found terribly cold and thought today it would be more manageable. However, it was unbearable, at least for me if not for my companion. I was only able to stand a couple minutes inside the water, even after fully diving as it was just soo painful. The best way to describe it is as if my bones got unbearably painful when in contact with the water.

I'm trying to recall and it seems since Peating cold water is slightly painful, but I never had it this bad. Is this some effect from saturated fat in our bodies not responding well to the cold temperatures? I feel as if when younger, I could adapt after a while or, go in and then out and back in, but this time no matter how many times I tried, it was excruciatingly painful. My friend (non-peaty), had no trouble at all handling the cold water, so it's not like I was trying something out of this world

What is people's experience?

Lizb

I have noticed pain when in cold water just once a couple of years ago. It surprised me greatly. I've never experienced it before. I couldn't even put my arms under water - I got out of the water it was so unpleasant. I've swam in the sea yearly my entire life. Was terribly skinny until middle aged. Not overweight currently.
Interesting.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I swam at Tahoe on Monday afternoon, the water was cold but tolerable. After being in the water for a while, I had no problem swimming but the initial feeling of cold water had to get used to.

There is this Dutch guy, Wim Hof, who can sit in freezing water and he gives classes on tolerating cold water and more. Fascinating.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCaZQqAs9I

I, too am interested in this topic as someone who has experimented with cold due to also being intolerant. I have noticed that inflammatory issues become much worse in cold weather and also find cold water swimming especially unbearable. I just never seem to acclimate in the Winter time. I develop hives when exposed too long that itch for extended periods even when I am warm again. I have always wondered why this is and what I could do about it. I have experimented with Wim Hoff, above without improvement.

dabdabdab

I, too am interested in this topic as someone who has experimented with cold due to also being intolerant. I have noticed that inflammatory issues become much worse in cold weather and also find cold water swimming especially unbearable. I just never seem to acclimate in the Winter time. I develop hives when exposed too long that itch for extended periods even when I am warm again. I have always wondered why this is and what I could do about it. I have experimented with Wim Hoff, above without improvement.
Uncoupling speeds up getting into fat burning mode and also into getting adapted to cold(increases the heat in your body) , brown fat is also an uncoupler.
maybe check you thyroid since it's closely related to your natural uncoupling state.

DMF

Here in Chicago it's probably the last week for us Non-Wet Suit open water swimmers. Today the water was around 62-64, but I took some Red Korean ginseng so the water wouldn't "bite" too much. Only one week ago it was around 68-72.
But yes, cold water can be unpleasant. 62 is the limit for me.
Where do you swim - and why?

Perry Staltic

Here in Chicago it's probably the last week for us Non-Wet Suit open water swimmers. Today the water was around 62-64, but I took some Red Korean ginseng so the water wouldn't "bite" too much. Only one week ago it was around 68-72.
But yes, cold water can be unpleasant. 62 is the limit for me.
Where do you swim - and why?

How much ginseng do you take and how long before swimming?

DMF

How much ginseng do you take and how long before swimming?
i suck on a piece roughly the surface-size area of a penny, 15 or so minutes before I get in.
What's the temperature of the water you're swimming in? Here it's 63.

Perry Staltic

i suck on a piece roughly the surface-size area of a penny, 15 or so minutes before I get in.
What's the temperature of the water you're swimming in? Here it's 63.

I swim in a heated indoor pool, but want to be able to swim against a bungee cord in an above ground outdoor pool year-round in case they close down the pool like they did last year. In a greenhouse with some kind of heater won't get it to what I'm used to, so I have to develop the ability to tolerate colder water. I'm kind of a ***** when it comes to that, so I have a challenge ahead. Any tips how to transition appreciated.

I swim in a heated indoor pool, but want to be able to swim against a bungee cord in an above ground outdoor pool year-round in case they close down the pool like they did last year. In a greenhouse with some kind of heater won't get it to what I'm used to, so I have to develop the ability to tolerate colder water. I'm kind of a ***** when it comes to that, so I have a challenge ahead. Any tips how to transition appreciated.
Do you do anything to offset any effects of chlorine?

Beastmode

I swam at Tahoe on Monday afternoon, the water was cold but tolerable. After being in the water for a while, I had no problem swimming but the initial feeling of cold water had to get used to.

There is this Dutch guy, Wim Hof, who can sit in freezing water and he gives classes on tolerating cold water and more. Fascinating.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCaZQqAs9I

I did his online course and it's quite effective to handle cold. However, it requires a lot of stress on the body to do so. If I ever get stuck in freezing cold, I have a tool to survive. In no shape or form is it a tool to thrive. Some may argue against that, but thriving to me is the mitigation of stress, not the illusion that it's a tool for "success."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals