Swimming In Chlorine Water

cartman

Hi,
does somebody know how problematic swimming in chlorine water is? I know Peat mentioned to favor non chlorine lakes etc . but I don't have the possibility here in winter.

Regards

jyb

cartman said:
Hi,
does somebody know how problematic swimming in chlorine water is? I know Peat mentioned to favor non chlorine lakes etc . but I don't have the possibility here in winter.

Regards

I would also be interested to know. I have no doubt it would be better to swim in non chlorinated water, but the question is how bad it is, especially for hypothyroid people? When googling hypothyroid and chlorine, I find a few pages claim it is problematic to drink chrolinated water, like fluoride. I have no idea whether that would be a problem at the swimming pool: could chlorine enter through the skin? Also, a few drops of water inevitably enter through the mouth.

gretchen

I seemed to gain a lot of weight after I started swimming in the pool at home as a teen. Interesting, I never thought about it before.

Birdie

noblessoblige said:
I seemed to gain a lot of weight after I started swimming in the pool at home as a teen. Interesting, I never thought about it before.
I am unusually hungry after swimming.

jyb

Birdie said:
noblessoblige said:

That could be just because it is a particularly complete sport. It probably is justified feeling hungrier than most other sports...

OP
C

cartman

My skin feels a bit irritated and dry after swimming, it would be good to know more about it, because I like swimming very much and think it's the best regular sport for me.

jyb

Nick810 said:

Googling just a bit, I find some random articles claiming the chlorine is absorbed etc. But critical comments say this is nonsense because professional swimmers are not shown to have higher disease incidence.

Seems like the conclusion is uncertain... check this overview: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/July07/Page ... ancer.aspx (but don't trust the source of this overview too much).

Right now I'm thinking that the pool water probably isn't good at all for the skin or the body, but I'm not scared enough to stop going there 1 or 2 hours a week. I could be wrong, being hypothyroid the negative effects might be greater on me.

It might be worth emailing RP about it if no one is better informed?

cliff

I would try to swim in natural bodies of water like lakes or the ocean but it's probably not that big of a deal if your just swimming for an hour or so.

kiran

jyb said:
Googling just a bit, I find some random articles claiming the chlorine is absorbed etc. But critical comments say this is nonsense because professional swimmers are not shown to have higher disease incidence.

Well, if you think about it, professional swimmers usually tend to be pretty healthy and at the peak of their performance. Hard to extrapolate from that.

OP
C

cartman

cliff said:
I would try to swim in natural bodies of water like lakes or the ocean but it's probably not that big of a deal if your just swimming for an hour or so.

I would try to if there weren't temperatures about 0°C out there;)

kevinjohore

Joseph M. Price, M.D. outlined the health risks of chlorine in his book Coronaries Cholesterol Chlorine. Chlorine is a halogen. Our bodies are often hungry for iodine, which is also a halogen. Our bodies cannot easily distinguish between the man made halogen chlorine and the natural halogen, iodine. If your body's iodine stores are replete, it will be less likely to take up chlorine.

D

Deleted member 5487

What if a person swims for an hour or so every day for the rest of his/her life?
Wouldn't worry about it. Swimming is the best exercise.

No where else can you workout 5-6x a week with minimal soreness and little to no joint pain.

I recently picked up swimming and have gone full into it.

From heavy joint cracking weights and ankle pain/knee pain/heat stroke sprints to Cool relaxing stress free excersise where the outside world is tuned out.

I do believe a great majorty of swimmers would benefit from short distance high intesnsity water sprints. Rather than long drawn out laps.

D

Deleted member 5487

Yeah this is common. People go from light walk/jogs and some weight lifting to moving a body through a material 800x more dense than air Where every little strand of muscle from your fingers to your toes are getting worked.

I recently the otherday had to leave the office on panic like hunger from a swim the night before. I ate untold ammounts that didn't make a dent in my hunger.

Birdie

I quit the long swims and switched to walks. Now, I've moved to a place with a nearby pool. Short swims/exercises don't make me hungry and I can still get a good workout. I walk besides doing an hour of exercise with stretches and weights. (Not now as I'm beached with sciatica.)