Swelling Up! Bloating!

Thomas

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
96
Hi guys,
I had to do a test in the lab and had to eat everything for a week again and noticed one thing I like to ask you about.
When I started to eat carbs again, especially bread, after a ca 6 month break, i swelled up.

I have a stomach like a football but there is no pain, no flatulence, no belching....or very little. Is that water or what is that? I can ping -pong with it. If I stop eating carbs for a day or two I have a flat stomach again. My biggest problem is not so much pain but brain-fog, dizzyness, and a wirred sea-sick feeling which when culiminating is leading to anxiety.

any ideas what that could be?
cheers
Thomas
 

Thomas

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
96
Swandattur said:
It sounds like endotoxin which starch does increase according to Ray Peat, I believe.

It is strange therefore I ask, as it doesnt look or feel like a stomach full off air. We all know how that feels and looks. hard like a skin on a drum. But my feels like a fat woobley stomach. Like the pictures they show for dangerous fat bellys for older guys. ;-)

I am a older guy. ...50 years. BUT I had a flat stomach and got that fat belly within a week. When I stop eating bread and carbs the thing can go away within a day or two. Fat cant disapear so quickly.

thanks for your thoughts.
yours
Thomas
 

Swandattur

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
1,137
Location
Florida
That is weird! I just read something that sounds like it, though. I'll see if I can find it. I think it did have something to do with hypothyroid. I'll post a link when I find it. Edit: here is one link about it. http://www.banglajol.info/index.php/JOM ... /2828/2344 The condition is called escites. I don't know if it would be it or not, but it sounds kind of like. It can be a symptom of other problems, but hypothyroid is one.
 

Swandattur

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
1,137
Location
Florida
Oops! Wrong spelling. It is ascites. It means fluid accumulation in the abdomen. It is supposed to wobble around instead of being firm.
 

Thomas

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
96
Swandattur said:
Oops! Wrong spelling. It is ascites. It means fluid accumulation in the abdomen. It is supposed to wobble around instead of being firm.


Thank you for the info. I would sound like it if it would not be that I gain and loose it within a day or two according what I eat.
ascites sounds more like a damaged organ where I should have the problem all the time. Would it be so?
I read somewhere that a lack of enzymes could make that water is retained in the cells. Dont know if I remember right or where I read it. If I would lack an enzyme to break down carbs, there could be then a retaintion of water which gets absorbt into the body when I dont eat carbs.

Does anyone knows more about this? Do I remember right?

thanks
Thomas
 

Swandattur

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
1,137
Location
Florida
You'd think it would take longer than a day to lose the mucin, I think it is, if that were it. I just thought since most people eat starch, it could be caused by starch combined with hypothyroid and doctors wouldn't know it. It's supposed to be a rare symptom in hypothyroid.
Anyway, I guess some people do have problems with breaking down carbs.
 

Thomas

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
96
Swandattur said:
You'd think it would take longer than a day to lose the mucin, I think it is, if that were it. I just thought since most people eat starch, it could be caused by starch combined with hypothyroid and doctors wouldn't know it. It's supposed to be a rare symptom in hypothyroid.
Anyway, I guess some people do have problems with breaking down carbs.

I really dont know how it works. Somehow I have a feeling that there is a problem breaking carbs down. If I eat starch I get that fat wobbly stomach. If i eat fibre I get a big stomach but than the stomach is hard like a drum. In both cases I get diarre.

Now I started to eat again Ray Peats diet. My stomach is flat but I get a Brainfog which makes me feel very dizzy. I am not sure but I got the feeling it must be the palmoil. Today I had only sugar water, coffee, palmoil, asperin. When I stopped with the palmoil and ate a porkchop my brainfog left me slowly.

Any ideas!?

yours
Thomas
 

Swandattur

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
1,137
Location
Florida
You're eating palm oil instead of coconut oil? Palm oil may not be so good. I often notice that eating some protein helps a lot of things. Maybe you should start a thread about brain fog to get some advice on that.
Do you only have trouble with starch in that way and not with fruit or sugar?
 

Thomas

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
96
Swandattur said:
You're eating palm oil instead of coconut oil? Palm oil may not be so good. I often notice that eating some protein helps a lot of things. Maybe you should start a thread about brain fog to get some advice on that.
Do you only have trouble with starch in that way and not with fruit or sugar?

Oh, I thought it was the same, no i use coconut oil. I wanted to clean my system and check what I am reacting to. I only had water, coffee, coconut oil, salt. I made a drink with hot water, 2 Teespoons sugar, half a teespoon coconut oil, litle salt, coffee. In the afternoon I got brainfog, dizzy etc and got a craving to eat some protein. I ate two porkchops and started to feel better.

I am in the testing about fruit, sugar etc. It is real messy. I try for 2 years to figure it out and got now down to a level to keep it simpler and simpler. Therefore that wirred drink. I thought: I need sugar, fat, salt, water and protein. In the afternoon I had a asperin listening to Ray I thought if might help. I will cut on the coconut oil and see if it made me dizzy. Maybe I switch for a test to olive oil and see if I feel better. At the moment the brainfog has lifted. What I want is to understand the patterns. Why is it lifted now? Did the protein of the porkchops help. Or the fact that I stopped with the coccnut oil. Why is what going on, is what I want to learn.

thank you for all the help and interest
yours
Thomas
 

jyb

Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
2,771
Location
UK
2 teaspoons of sugar only? I personally don't have coffee unless accompanied by milk and 2-3 cups fruit juice and a few teaspoons of sugar. Also, you're not getting that much salt if you're actually just salting your drink, as opposed to a separate salt feeding of a few spoonfuls (so it wouldn't spoil your nice coffee drink either), although if you're just having one cup of liquid you need less than I do.
 

Swandattur

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
1,137
Location
Florida
Thomas, I know what you mean. It's crazy making trying to figure out what foods are causing problems. Of course you need protein, though. Not eating any protein for a while could make you dizzy and confused. I think I may be a little allergic to coconut oil, unfortunately. Lately I haven't been having any except on the skin. Macadamia nut oil is a good one. I think It has less polyunsaturated fat than olive oil. It seems to do well for me. One thing I've noticed in trying to find what foods bother me is that if you eliminate too many foods at once, that in itself can make you feel bad. One time I went a day eating almost nothing but boiled beef. I felt anxious during the day and almost panicked all that night. I guess,too, many of the food issues are due to an inflamed gut. So, if you can get that settled down, many foods will be okay for you. Of course, being hypothyroid, messes up digestion.
 

Thomas

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
96
jyb said:
2 teaspoons of sugar only? I personally don't have coffee unless accompanied by milk and 2-3 cups fruit juice and a few teaspoons of sugar. Also, you're not getting that much salt if you're actually just salting your drink, as opposed to a separate salt feeding of a few spoonfuls (so it wouldn't spoil your nice coffee drink either), although if you're just having one cup of liquid you need less than I do.


Hi Jyb, thanks for anwering me. How many teaspoons do you have in a cup of coffee. For years I didnt have sugar and now when I start using it 2 spoons are feeling super sweet, I hardly taste the coffee. How do you take the salt. I can eat it by the spoon? I use a pinch in a glas of water or coffee? Before I loved to eat chips and stuff like that with lots of salt but I dont know how I can now get the amount of salt in me?

I am drinking about every hour a cup of coffee or a hot water, sugar, mix drink.

yours
Thomas
 

Thomas

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
96
Swandattur said:
Thomas, I know what you mean. It's crazy making trying to figure out what foods are causing problems. Of course you need protein, though. Not eating any protein for a while could make you dizzy and confused. I think I may be a little allergic to coconut oil, unfortunately. Lately I haven't been having any except on the skin. Macadamia nut oil is a good one. I think It has less polyunsaturated fat than olive oil. It seems to do well for me. One thing I've noticed in trying to find what foods bother me is that if you eliminate too many foods at once, that in itself can make you feel bad. One time I went a day eating almost nothing but boiled beef. I felt anxious during the day and almost panicked all that night. I guess,too, many of the food issues are due to an inflamed gut. So, if you can get that settled down, many foods will be okay for you. Of course, being hypothyroid, messes up digestion.


thanks for your kind words. They mean a lot to me. I am slowly loosing it. It drives me nuts. I was quite positive in the beginning to beat it but longer it goes harder it is to keep up the positive spirit. First I thought, well I write everything down and then I will know what I can eat and what not. I did this on and off for 2.5 years. At times I filled books with notes for over 6 month in a stretch. All that info was way to much for me to handle. It didnt helped a bit and still everyone says one should have a food diary if one ones to figure out. But for me it didnt work out. So I stopped. Modified and I am on it again. The body is to complex and as you wrote even not eating anyting or very little can throw the body out of balance into stress and into sympthoms.

I dont know, I have to fight on as I feel so bad. But the hope is not easy to hold up.

thanks for helping me out
yours
Thomas
 

Swandattur

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
1,137
Location
Florida
I know what you mean about the food diary. I've kept one writing down everything I could think of, and still it would be missing some detail I would later be looking for. It often doesn't help me. Still, maybe it makes us more aware of what we're eating and doing and has some benefit. At least now that I'm writing the diary, such as it is, on my I Pad notes, it's easier to read through, neater. There are so many variables with diet and physiology. At least I do realize now after studying Ray Peat articles that the 'all meat day anxiety and panic' was most likely caused by no carbs with all that meat! Do you feel that you are In fact hypothyroid? It seems to me that Peat suggests that people eating the western diet, being exposed to radiation, and estrogens from pesticides and other modern products, etc. are likely to be hypothyroid especially as they get older. I have mild diabetes, according to a doctor I went to. So, from what Ray Peat says, I think I am likely somewhat hypothyroid, or going in that direction.
I wonder if you might be very hypothyroid if you're having extreme symptoms and sticking to Ray Peat dietary recommendations hasn't helped much. Have you had blood tests? Maybe blood tests would show definite hypothyroid problems even by ordinary standards.
 

Thomas

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
96
Swandattur said:
I know what you mean about the food diary. I've kept one writing down everything I could think of, and still it would be missing some detail I would later be looking for. It often doesn't help me. Still, maybe it makes us more aware of what we're eating and doing and has some benefit. At least now that I'm writing the diary, such as it is, on my I Pad notes, it's easier to read through, neater. There are so many variables with diet and physiology. At least I do realize now after studying Ray Peat articles that the 'all meat day anxiety and panic' was most likely caused by no carbs with all that meat! Do you feel that you are In fact hypothyroid? It seems to me that Peat suggests that people eating the western diet, being exposed to radiation, and estrogens from pesticides and other modern products, etc. are likely to be hypothyroid especially as they get older. I have mild diabetes, according to a doctor I went to. So, from what Ray Peat says, I think I am likely somewhat hypothyroid, or going in that direction.
I wonder if you might be very hypothyroid if you're having extreme symptoms and sticking to Ray Peat dietary recommendations hasn't helped much. Have you had blood tests? Maybe blood tests would show definite hypothyroid problems even by ordinary standards.

I am pretty new to Ray Peat. I first thought to battle candida. About 2. 5 years I got a antibiotica cure and was never the same. I thought they killed my bacteria and candida took the place. I found there was a logic to it but fighting it for nearly a year nealy killed me in the process. I got worse and worse. I lost over 35 kg in halv a year, and got my first panic attacks after 50 years on this planet without ever having a deppression or knowing what fear is. It was terrible. My body reacted with shakings, cramps and elektrical currents running through my body. I never had problem to sleep in my life but under the diet I was awoken from a body who freaks out and fights for survival. The did it all. Bloodtests, scopes into the mouth to the stomach, scopes from the rectum into the intestines etc. They found nothing and believe I am a head case.
The MD wanted to write out happy pills because he thought I am psychic case. I said to him that the mind is the only thing holding me together but if he believes it is in the head I want to talk to a psychatrik doctor. I took the chance and told about everything I could think of in my life, all sins and no sins. Guess what. The doctors said I am total normal in my head but my body was still failing me. Do I know if I am hypothyriod. I dont know. The MD says its normal. My values where:

TSH 0.28 meassured the 17.8.2012 and TSH 1.5 meassured the 20.1.2012 My hands are cold most of the time, my nose is cold and often i freeze while sleeping. Heartbeat is 62 as average, temp is between 35,6 to 36,4 every day. The R.P. diet I followed without the supplements and had to cut milk products as I had the feeling they aggrivate me. Last week I had a SIBO test but havent gotten the results back.

cheers
Thomas
 

Swandattur

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
1,137
Location
Florida
From your symptoms, I believe by Ray Peat standards you are hypothyroid. You probably were eating very low carb, weren't you, on an anti-Candida diet? I think that made me hypothyroid or more so. I think I also developed allergies or worse allergies to foods on very low carb. Now, I stay off starches completely, because they mess with my blood sugar, and insulin, too, I think. My blood sugar stays much more steady on fruit and sugar with no starch. Starch appears to raise blood sugars for a few days after I eat it. Do you eat the raw carrot salad for control of endotoxin and also Candida? That really seems to help me. Are you careful to eat fruit or even sugary foods at regular intervals throughout the day? That helps me. Sometimes I have butter with my fruit or sugary stuff, too. I like guava paste, which I get at the store. I would imagine you can get it off amazon, too. It comes in cans or wrapped in plastic, which is perhaps not the best packaging, but it would only be on the outside of the block of guava paste.
I have just been listening to a Ray Peat interview in which he mentions that in the early days he discovered that lots of ice cream would stop his migraines. Then he also found that raw carrot did the same. Later he found out that endotoxin often causes migraines, but only if blood sugar is low. So, that explained why either of these things worked. Evidently endotoxin causes lots of problems.
Oh well, just comparing notes. It sometimes helps.
 

Thomas

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
96
Swandattur said:
From your symptoms, I believe by Ray Peat standards you are hypothyroid. You probably were eating very low carb, weren't you, on an anti-Candida diet? I think that made me hypothyroid or more so. I think I also developed allergies or worse allergies to foods on very low carb. Now, I stay off starches completely, because they mess with my blood sugar, and insulin, too, I think. My blood sugar stays much more steady on fruit and sugar with no starch. Starch appears to raise blood sugars for a few days after I eat it. Do you eat the raw carrot salad for control of endotoxin and also Candida? That really seems to help me. Are you careful to eat fruit or even sugary foods at regular intervals throughout the day? That helps me. Sometimes I have butter with my fruit or sugary stuff, too. I like guava paste, which I get at the store. I would imagine you can get it off amazon, too. It comes in cans or wrapped in plastic, which is perhaps not the best packaging, but it would only be on the outside of the block of guava paste.
I have just been listening to a Ray Peat interview in which he mentions that in the early days he discovered that lots of ice cream would stop his migraines. Then he also found that raw carrot did the same. Later he found out that endotoxin often causes migraines, but only if blood sugar is low. So, that explained why either of these things worked. Evidently endotoxin causes lots of problems.
Oh well, just comparing notes. It sometimes helps.

Yes, I was on extremly low carb, no sugar, no fruits and lots of fibre, probiotic, prebiotic etc and lots of supplements until I collapsed. Today i have no or very little fibre, no probiotics, no pre-biotics, no supplements and i eat RP style, but I am not sure that it really helps me. I am hundered percent sure all that mess has to do with the endotoxins but the carrot salad doesnt help me so much that I clearly can say, yes it helps. Ice cream and milk products make me feel dizzy, I get itchy eyes and terrible rectal itching. I am like in a catch 22. If I dont eat this or that, I have symptoms. If I eat it I too have symptoms. Att one time I thought I give a ***t and eat everything again and see what happens. First nothing happend and I felt good. I thought, whow what is that, maybe i really have something wrong in my head. ;-) But then it came all back after 3 days. It feels like a point system. When the counting is full and the cup flows over the ***t happens to me. If the counting has been low I can eat something which otherwise would mess me up. Very strange. Not so clear like an allergic reaction. Here in Sweden it is extremly hard to find foods or supplements. Trying to get Thyroid through the customs can even put me into jail.
Do you have more things I could try fighting endotoxins? I had a bad day after i was eating bamboo. Now, the old candia buddies would say....yeah that is die-off. But I dont know if RP believes in that stuff. ;-)

cheers
Thomas
 

Swandattur

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
1,137
Location
Florida
I can't eat much dairy, and I think I have a problem with gelatin. Too much of those cause allergy symptoms like stuffy nose for me. I wonder if it is from histamines or maybe some sort of bacteria. If you can eat gelatin, that is supposed to be very healing for the gut, as well as good for amino acid balance. This interview of Ray Peat I was listening to is encouraging in general about keeping on trying things. http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2219 ... -02-20.mp3
Sorry you can't get many supplements. I guess you try the red light therapy and the breathing in the paper bag for getting more carbon dioxide?
I sure don't do probiotics or any of that now. They make things worse for me. My youngest sister had good results from probiotics, it seems, but not me at all. I did read on a blog called 'Hyperlipid' where the veterinarian whose blog it is found a paper about a study that showed trouble after anti-biotic treatment was due to too little endotoxin, I think. So, maybe some people get that problem for some reason, but others of us have the opposite problem. I'll see if I can find that article and give the link. Ray Peat believes Candida is actually no big problem.
 

Thomas

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
96
Swandattur said:
I can't eat much dairy, and I think I have a problem with gelatin. Too much of those cause allergy symptoms like stuffy nose for me. I wonder if it is from histamines or maybe some sort of bacteria. If you can eat gelatin, that is supposed to be very healing for the gut, as well as good for amino acid balance. This interview of Ray Peat I was listening to is encouraging in general about keeping on trying things. http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2219 ... -02-20.mp3
Sorry you can't get many supplements. I guess you try the red light therapy and the breathing in the paper bag for getting more carbon dioxide?
I sure don't do probiotics or any of that now. They make things worse for me. My youngest sister had good results from probiotics, it seems, but not me at all. I did read on a blog called 'Hyperlipid' where the veterinarian whose blog it is found a paper about a study that showed trouble after anti-biotic treatment was due to too little endotoxin, I think. So, maybe some people get that problem for some reason, but others of us have the opposite problem. I'll see if I can find that article and give the link. Ray Peat believes Candida is actually no big problem.

Hi, I just had the carrot salat but with citrone and oil, salt and scrimps with butter. A orange juice with two tsk sugar.
Before I eat that I had nearly no symptoms. 15 min later. I am all dizzy. Strange!?
Now I am going to have a coffee. it is 24.00 hours here in Sweden. LOL I am crazy.

cheers
Thomas
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
haidut PUFA Cause Fatal Swelling Seen In Brain Infections; SFA Are Harmless Scientific Studies 3
M Swelling And Dry Skin After Red Light? Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 3
Katelove I Am Wondering Why My Legs Are Swelling Since PEATing Diet 18
J Nasal Swelling (bulbous Tip) Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 8
Amber Cell Swelling Metabolism 1
LoryEl Worst Swelling After Period Female Issues 1
haidut PUFA induce cell swelling by blocking cell uptake of taurine Scientific Studies 0
T Is Swelling Necessary For Brain Repair? Health 33
D Help! Fluid Retention/dehydration, Swelling, Bumps, Etc Ask For Help or Advice 9
G Water: Swelling, Tension, Pain, Fatigue, Aging Articles & Newsletters 0
paciencia Low Stomach Acid/Bloating/Silent Reflux Ask For Help or Advice 7
IVILA Coffee Causing Bloating, Burping, Gas Coffee 18
P Lower Abdominal Bloating From The Pill - Looking For Advice Female Issues 9
C Vit E Or Progesterone Reducing Face Bloating Ask For Help or Advice 6
J Stomach Bloating Ask For Help or Advice 20
V Red Spots In My Face, Constantly Bloating And Really Stressed And Overthinking Skin 5
metabolizm Instant Bloating Ask For Help or Advice 1
H Kiwi Makes My Belly Super Flat, 0 Bloating, Visible Abs Fruits 15
M Gas And Bloating. From Eggs Digestion 8
A What's The Non-bacterial Cause Of Gut Bloating?stay Awak Ask For Help or Advice 8
SOMO Insoluble Fiber Greatly Improves My Bloating Diet, Recipes 1
A Severe Bloating - Please Help Digestion 24
Philomath Probiotic Use Is A Link Between Brain Fogginess, Severe Bloating Scientific Studies 1
vulture Cocao And Farting/bloating Diet 11
R Water Retention/Bloating ONLY In Face Ask For Help or Advice 10
C Gas/ Bloating And Frequency Poll Digestion 1
C Bloating, Dandruff, And Dry Skin Digestion 0
F Massive Bloating And Weight Gain From Caber Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
D First Time Bloating Issues Despite Charcoal, Cascara And MB Digestion 6
S Dopamine Receptor Bloating Fix Ask For Help or Advice 5
A Bloating And Fat Gain And Acne Digestion 1
Integra Puffy No More: How I Fixed Bloating, Healed Veins, Restored The Color Of [one] Hair & Reduced Cramps Testimonials 21
J My Abdomen Is Sore When Pressed Along With Bloating. Any Help Would Be Appreciated! Ask For Help or Advice 15
M Gas And Bloating Digestion 23
Mr Rossi Aspirin - Stomach Pain / Bloating / Stomach Pressure Digestion 1
natedawggh Milk Bloating Is From Tryptophan, Not Liquid Working Through Milk Issues 19
F Has Anyone Here Successfully Resolved "SIBO" Or Major Stomach Bloating? With Peating Or Anything Els FredSonoma 292
F Finally got some bloodwork! Main problems are bloating, bad digestion, weight gain, glycogen storage FredSonoma 7
R Unhealthy and Confused College Student, major bloating Ask For Help or Advice 13
F Food poisoning led to all my problems - SIBO / bloating might be cause of my issues? FredSonoma 14
F Thiamine HCL (B1 supplement) makes bloating worse? FredSonoma 2
A Bloating After Hydrolyzed Collagen? Digestion 14
I BLOATING iLoveSugar 9
N Liver Function Test For Bloating And Acne? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 36
M Bloating Digestion 20
CellularIconoclast Help: Extreme Bloating & Sudden Psychological Symptoms Digestion 20
B Diarrhea but not bloating/pain from milk Working Through Milk Issues 5

Similar threads

Top