Sweet Potatoes Makes My Thyroid Swell Up

Djukami

Hi!

I have been experimenting with sweet potatoes, because, curiously, they increase immediately my BPM - though hands and feet do not follow on becoming warm...

I kinda start overdosing it a little bit, because I was liking how I was feeling. However, I started feeling the front of my neck a little tense, but I was not thinking about any correlation (this happens to me too when I exercise for example).
But, yesterday, I got a small click in my head remembering Ray Peat saying that beta-carotenes can block thyroid. After that, I ingested quite some sweet potatoes and, bam!, my thyroid started swelling.
I am also having more bowel movements than normal, this is, my normal state is being constipated and with these amount of sweet potatoes, it makes me poop more. Even 2 times per day!! (it could be the fiber, dunno. Though with the other potatoes doesn't make me poop like this. I am constipated)
But, I am also start wondering if I am digesting them properly and if I become kind hyper or I am allergic to them (who knows), because I lost 2 kilos on basically 2 days.

Could it be that my thyroid starts swelling to produce more thyroid hormones because of the high amount of beta carotenes blocking it? I would very much appreciate to hear any 2cents about this or if anyone has ever noticed the same reaction.

(I could try overeating carrots too, but I am not keen on doing though)

Last edited:
OP
D

Djukami

sweet potatoes are actually goitrogen thats why you thyroid swelled up
Omg, You're right! Thank you.
But the beta carotnes explanation seems to make sense too. And the combination of both, geez, what a combo

Do you have any idea why my BPM increase though? I'm hypo, I was thinking if it was the vitamin A. Never tried to supplement Vitamin A, but now I am kinda curious.

The_xXx

Omg, You're right! Thank you.
But the beta carotnes explanation seems to make sense too. And the combination of both, geez, what a combo

Do you have any idea why my BPM increase though? I'm hypo, I was thinking if it was the vitamin A. Never tried to supplement Vitamin A, but now I am kinda curious.
you mean with BPM beats per minute ? how fast your heart beats ? if yes, higher thyroid = higher BPM i think the beta carotine dont play a role there but idk exactly. But if you your thyroid or metabolism goes higher and you dont get the warmer temperature i think you re then defficient in minerals/vitamines. I think maybe not enough iron or sodium because iron promote blood flow you will get warmer. Or b vitamines or magnesium. Idk exactly try it but if you try you must really take high amounts to feel difference if not then maybe you will never know in what you re defficient.

OP
D

Djukami

you mean with BPM beats per minute ? how fast your heart beats ? if yes, higher thyroid = higher BPM i think the beta carotine dont play a role there but idk exactly. But if you your thyroid or metabolism goes higher and you dont get the warmer temperature i think you re then defficient in minerals/vitamines. I think maybe not enough iron or sodium because iron promote blood flow you will get warmer. Or b vitamines or magnesium. Idk exactly try it but if you try you must really take high amounts to feel difference if not then maybe you will never know in what you re defficient.
Yes, beats per minute. Perhaps I should have just said heart rate.

Well, I have also read this now about its correlation about people with myxedema. And you will find on google about how it blocks thyroid function.

“In other words, the thyroid has a profound effect on the liver. We have other evidence that a lack of thyroid is accompanied by a sluggish liver. In the first place, it has been apparents for a century that patients with myxedema (very low thyroid activity) have a yellowish tint to their skins. This has been found to be due to the presence of too much carotene in the blood. The liver converts carotene into vitamin A which is colorless. Under the administration of thyroid, the liver becomes more active and the carotene soon disappears. In the second place, the cholesterol level in the blood is usually elevated in hypothyroidism. Thyroid administration will lower cholesterol, and if too much is given, the cholesterol will fall below normal. The liver converts cholesterol into bile salts which are eliminated in the bile; this process is the usual means of eliminating excess cholesterol. The liver is sluggish in this function among thyroid-deficient individuals…Since a sluggish liver is the most common cause of hypoglycemia, it should follow that the hypothyroid patient is highly susceptible to low blood sugar.” -Broda Barnes, MD, PhD and Charlotte Barnes
But it's more likely to be the goitrogens, and I thank you for sharing that information.
Well my pulse is usually between 58-65. But when I eat sweet potatoes it goes up to 75-85, which is something that never happens to me normally after eating something.
You may be right about deficiences... And also, who knows if I am actually somewhat allergic to them and hence the higher pulse but cold extremities, which could be a stress hormones kicking in instead. I could also experiment with liver to see the reaction.
Well, I will take a note about this.

Hi!

I have been experimenting with sweet potatoes, because, curiously, they increase immediately my BPM - though hands and feet do not follow on becoming warm...

I kinda start overdosing it a little bit, because I was liking how I was feeling. However, I started feeling the front of my neck a little tense, but I was not thinking about any correlation (this happens to me too when I exercise for example).
But, yesterday, I got a small click in my head remembering Ray Peat saying that beta-carotenes can block thyroid. After that, I ingested quite some sweet potatoes and, bam!, my thyroid started swelling.
I am also having more bowel movements than normal, this is, my normal state is being constipated and with these amount of sweet potatoes, it makes me poop more. Even 2 times per day!! (it could be the fiber, dunno. Though with the other potatoes doesn't make me poop like this. I am constipated)
But, I am also start wondering if I am digesting them properly and if I become kind hyper or I am allergic to them (who knows), because I lost 2 kilos on basically 2 days.

Could it be that my thyroid starts swelling to produce more thyroid hormones because of the high amount of beta carotenes blocking it? I would very much appreciate to hear any 2cents about this or if anyone has ever noticed the same reaction.

(I could try overeating carrots too, but I am not keen on doing though)
Yeah, I experience the increased bowel movement frequency when I eat sweet potatoes. I think they would be great if it wasn't for the fact that, after eating them, it seems like my mental capabilities lower dramatically. Remembering things and even Reading becomes such a hard task. Maybe it's because they are having a bad effect on my thyroid. I feel actually confused after eating them, and it's not a good feeling. The increase in heart rate but not in temperature may mean more adrenalin. After eating, both the heart rate, the pulse and the temperature should rise. Maybe it was the spike in insulin, which may indicate that you have some insulin resistance( an insulin sensitive person can eat a large serving or rice or potatoes and feel good afterwards, since the glucose is being metabolized and turned into CO2 and energy)

Makrosky

BPMs can increase with stress reactions, which can occur if you lower thyroid because then stress hormones take over energy production.

Measuring pulse has to go together with temperature AND warm hands/feet because stress can also temporarily increase temperature but keep the extremities cold.

AFAIK

Beta-carotene, other carotenoids and anthocyanidins naturally present in sweet potato in high amounts. The amount enough to alternate thyroid function. The problem is that there are selection programs to breed b-carotene enriched sweet potato in order to solve vitamin A deficiency, haha. Probably amount of that b-***-carotene in store bought sweet potato much higher then info from databases like cronometer says due selection pressure. Stay away from it.

jet9

Yeah, I experience the increased bowel movement frequency when I eat sweet potatoes. I think they would be great if it wasn't for the fact that, after eating them, it seems like my mental capabilities lower dramatically. Remembering things and even Reading becomes such a hard task. Maybe it's because they are having a bad effect on my thyroid. I feel actually confused after eating them, and it's not a good feeling. The increase in heart rate but not in temperature may mean more adrenalin. After eating, both the heart rate, the pulse and the temperature should rise. Maybe it was the spike in insulin, which may indicate that you have some insulin resistance( an insulin sensitive person can eat a large serving or rice or potatoes and feel good afterwards, since the glucose is being metabolized and turned into CO2 and energy)
Interesting experience. It’s just sweet potatoes or other tubers / starches as well ?
On what carbs do you feel best mental capabilities wise ?

Interesting experience. It’s just sweet potatoes or other tubers / starches as well ?
On what carbs do you feel best mental capabilities wise ?
It's just the sweet potatoes. White potatoes and white rice, although they have other side-effects on me, don't seem to cause confusion.

I feel like sucrose gives me the best mental state. So sugar syrup, melons, apples. Dates are very good too, which is surprising, since I thought the fiber was going to irritate my gut. The fiber from other fruits, such as melons, do make my gut upset, so I have to juice them and then strain the juice to remove most of the fiber. Apples are like that too. I still need some starch to feel optimal, but not much( between 20 and 80 grams of carbs in the form of starch is enough).

Inspired

I've been eating a lot of sweet potatoes lately. They really satisfy me. They are so easy to prepare (throw them in the microwave for 8 minutes or so, and use a little bit of butter and salt). And I do get a "tan" from them.

Waynish

Gotta cook until they're super soft and add extra salt. Adding cinnamon is also great. Make sure you're not low on Bs, especially b12.