Sweet chesrnut and pufa? Good or bad?

Marine

Anyone know if sweet chestnut (not horse chestnut) cooked in pressure or roasted have too many PUFAs? And they are good or bad for us?

mostlylurking

Anyone know if sweet chestnut (not horse chestnut) cooked in pressure or roasted have too many PUFAs? And they are good or bad for us?
It's a tree nut, right? It's not from equatorial regions, right? Then it contains PUFA. PUFA is toxic.

OP
Marine

Marine

@mostlylurking i think sweet chestnut is just normal chestnut ,but some people confuse with horse chestnut

i was reading the nutritional content and shows that is very low fat, but i dont know about PUFAs and if is a bad food

Last edited:

Jam

Compared to most other nuts, chestnuts are high in carbs (starch and sucrose) and low fat (3.5% of calories), are loaded with copper and manganese, and a good source of B vitamins. I am surrounded by chestnuts and spend entire days collecting them in the fall. They can irritate the gut of some people, and can cause bloating and gas due to the starches and tannins. But there is really nothing quite like feasting on wild boar and chestnuts roasted over an open fire on a cold autumn day.

mostlylurking

@mostlylurking i think sweet chestnut is just normal chestnut ,but some people confuse with horse chestnut

i was reading the nutritional content and shows that is very low fat, but i dont know about PUFAs and if is a bad food
PUFA is short for polyunsaturated fatty acids and is very toxic and should be avoided. Nuts from a deciduous tree not grown on the equator would have PUFA as fat. The only nuts that are low in PUFA is Macadamia nuts.

They can irritate the gut of some people, and can cause bloating and gas due to the starches and tannins

Jam notes they contain tannins. Tannins block (or deplete?) thiamine so should be avoided.

mostlylurking

Belsazar

The fat content is very low ~1-2g per 100g (unlike other nuts) and its mostly starch. It has a long history in europe, I would consider it as a good food source occasionally (especially in winter season).

OP
Marine

Marine

If you want to eat them, suit yourself. I'm just following Ray Peat's advice about tree nuts.
i just want to understand more about what are you bring to the discussion with some sources that qualifies what are you saying, because this nut is very low in fat

mostlylurking

i just want to understand more about what are you bring to the discussion with some sources that qualifies what are you saying, because this nut is very low in fats.
link: Lipid and fatty acid profiles of Castanea sativa Mill. Chestnuts of 17 native Portuguese cultivars

Lipid and fatty acid profiles of Castanea sativa Mill. Chestnuts of 17 native Portuguese cultivars​

snippet: "The major FAs are linoleic, oleic and palmitic; these accounted for more than 85% of the total FA content."

The link above was found in this article: Sweet Chestnuts facts and health benefits
snippet: "Most of us think fats as a bad thing to be burned off during a diet, but in fact, our body needs a number of other fats to function normally. These good fats, found in high concentrations in chestnuts, help to balance our cholesterol, decrease inflammation all through the body, and lower the risk of atherosclerosis and blood clots building up in the body. This will eventually lower your risk of stroke, heart attack and coronary heart disease to a large degree.(1)"

Linoleic acid is carcinogenic.

link: Unsaturated Vegetable Oils: Toxic
snippet: "Those fatty acids, such as linoleic acid and linolenic acid, which are found in linseed oil, soy oil, walnut oil, almond oil, corn oil, etc., are essential for the spontaneous development of cancer, and also appear to be decisive factors in the development of age pigment, alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes, obesity, stress-induced immunodeficiency, some aspects of the shock reaction, epilepsy, brain swelling, congenital retardation, hardening of the arteries, cataracts, and other degenerative conditions. They are possibly the most important toxin for animals."

The discrepancy between Ray Peat's position that PUFA is toxic and the main stream idea that PUFA is good for you is exemplified by the two opinions provided above. I choose to believe Ray Peat.

Last edited:

Belsazar

link: Lipid and fatty acid profiles of Castanea sativa Mill. Chestnuts of 17 native Portuguese cultivars

Lipid and fatty acid profiles of Castanea sativa Mill. Chestnuts of 17 native Portuguese cultivars​

snippet: "The major FAs are linoleic, oleic and palmitic; these accounted for more than 85% of the total FA content."

The link above was found in this article: Sweet Chestnuts facts and health benefits
snippet: "Most of us think fats as a bad thing to be burned off during a diet, but in fact, our body needs a number of other fats to function normally. These good fats, found in high concentrations in chestnuts, help to balance our cholesterol, decrease inflammation all through the body, and lower the risk of atherosclerosis and blood clots building up in the body. This will eventually lower your risk of stroke, heart attack and coronary heart disease to a large degree.(1)"

Linoleic acid is carcinogenic.

link: Unsaturated Vegetable Oils: Toxic
snippet: "Those fatty acids, such as linoleic acid and linolenic acid, which are found in linseed oil, soy oil, walnut oil, almond oil, corn oil, etc., are essential for the spontaneous development of cancer, and also appear to be decisive factors in the development of age pigment, alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes, obesity, stress-induced immunodeficiency, some aspects of the shock reaction, epilepsy, brain swelling, congenital retardation, hardening of the arteries, cataracts, and other degenerative conditions. They are possibly the most important toxin for animals."

The discrepancy between Ray Peat's position that PUFA is toxic and the main stream idea that PUFA is good for you is exemplified by the two opinions provided above. I choose to believe Ray Peat.
So i suppose you are also avoiding milk fat or eggs?

We are still talking about 1-2 g of total fat per 100g of chestnut (I would consider that one serving). Compare that amount to the oils ray is talking about.

mostlylurking

So i suppose you are also avoiding milk fat or eggs?

We are still talking about 1-2 g of total fat per 100g of chestnut (I would consider that one serving). Compare that amount to the oils ray is talking about.
No. But that's my quota for PUFA so I'll pass on the chestnuts. Pick your poison; I think free range home grown chicken eggs have more going for them that chestnuts do.

Belsazar

No. But that's my quota for PUFA so I'll pass on the chestnuts. Pick your poison; I think free range home grown chicken eggs have more going for them that chestnuts do.
Based on your logic you should avoid milk and eggs, etc as well since they contain PUFA.

mostlylurking

Sweet chestnut is not a everyday staple anyway. So why stressing? Imagine going through an european winter market, they offer roasted chestnut and hot punch. Who would say no and why?
This is the start of this thread:
Enough said.

SneezeStar

Chestnuts are slightly different than other nuts. They are starch like potato and need to be cooked. They are low in fat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals