Sweat Smell And Taurine

aliciahere

started taking taurine about a week ago, and man is my sweat stinky. Like stale dust and cigarette smoke, blech. I was wondering if anybody else had an experience like this.

I have a couple of theories as to what might be causing it:
- die off, I've heard that taurine can act as an antibiotic, so it could be die off smell from that. I had to take a strong antibiotic in September, and I remember smelling similar to this.
- my mom was a smoker my whole life, in fact I would have been born addicted to nicotine probably. Mom smoked in the house, smoked in the car.... everywhere. I lived it for 19 years. Could it have been stored in my tissues and is now being released? I don't know enough about second hand smoke and the chemical process involved.
- could I now be starting to release pufa, and this is just a nasty smell as a result of it?

Any thoughts?

Orion

started taking taurine about a week ago, and man is my sweat stinky. Like stale dust and cigarette smoke, blech. I was wondering if anybody else had an experience like this.

- die off, I've heard that taurine can act as an antibiotic, so it could be die off smell from that. I had to take a strong antibiotic in September, and I remember smelling similar to this.
- my mom was a smoker my whole life, in fact I would have been born addicted to nicotine probably. Mom smoked in the house, smoked in the car.... everywhere. I lived it for 19 years. Could it have been stored in my tissues and is now being released? I don't know enough about second hand smoke and the chemical process involved.
- could I now be starting to release pufa, and this is just a nasty smell as a result of it?

Any thoughts?

Taurine has sulfur as part of its chemical make up. Could be related to this. I don't think it is considered a strong antibiotic?

OP
A

aliciahere

Taurine has sulfur as part of its chemical make up. Could be related to this. I don't think it is considered a strong antibiotic?

Hmmm, I don't smell a sulfur smell (and I'm quite familiar with that smell), unless it changes to something else in the body....

tanneron

I read somewhere that the higher a man's testosterone level is, the stronger his body odor will be. Not sure if that's true.

lvysaur

I think it's good to have some presence of odor.

When I eat meat, I get a very subtle but noticeable odor, which doesn't really turn into full on BO.

When I do milk and sugar all day, I'm odorless.

When I eat beans, I get horrible BO.

OP
A

aliciahere

Well, I'm female, and I do have a normal body odour, and if I get really stinky, I stink, but not like this. This smell is different. I had to stop taurine, I became unquenchably thirsty. Smell went away. :/ I have to get a good magnesium supliment and try again.

Gl;itch.e

Is it only your sweat that you are noticing the smell difference on? Not other "toilet related" fragrances?

lvysaur

Stale cigarettes definitely smell better than actual BO.

milk_lover

I am not sure if you take glycine/gelatin, but I find if you do, no need to take taurine as it's very similar to glycine. Glycine is better for thyroid than taurine.

milk_lover

Ok I forgot to add that glycine supplement is not as effective as taurine for me at least. I would stick with gelatin/broth or gelatinous cuts of of meat for glycine.

OP
A

aliciahere

I am not sure if you take glycine/gelatin, but I find if you do, no need to take taurine as it's very similar to glycine. Glycine is better for thyroid than taurine.

Crazy, I didn't realize that glycine is so similar to taurine. I was interested in taurine and it's roll in autoimmune disease and the fact that it's reduced in someone with celiac (can't find the reference paper on that at the moment). Are you familiar with how glycine relates to all this? I tried searching it up but it doesn't spread to be much literature that I could fine. :(

milk_lover

Crazy, I didn't realize that glycine is so similar to taurine. I was interested in taurine and it's roll in autoimmune disease and the fact that it's reduced in someone with celiac (can't find the reference paper on that at the moment). Are you familiar with how glycine relates to all this? I tried searching it up but it doesn't spread to be much literature that I could fine. :(
There is a study posted last year Glycine Lowers Tsh
It says glycine is more effective than taurine in reducing TSH, which is a good thing for thyroid. But I would be cautious about glycine supplements as I still haven't found a brand albeit pure that agrees with me. Taurine, on the other hand, works for me like a charm. Nowadays I try to get glycine from food and I supplement taurine when needed. I also heard taurine can be low in hypo people, and celiac could be slightly hypo or do not have enough protective steroids like progesterone, DHEA, etc.

Luann

Taurine's making me smell bad, too. Guess it's just one of those things.

NinaElisa

Any thoughts?
Yes, since I started 3g or more per day my armpits smell strongly, now reading your post I could identify the "cigarrete" smell you talk about. It is not that stale, neither pleasant at all. I could say it has notes of coffee and bleaching desinfectant aromas, LOL. Since I'm currently feeling better ( I don't know if it is because summer time has just started and we've had a few brighter long days), I associate it with something positive happening in my body. It's bad that I barely sweat during winter months. My only concern is to disguise the smell when I go out or when I'm not alone at home...

Vixxr

Taurine at 2-3g per day gave me a headache and made me smell like sulfur. My mom also reported a headache while on this much taurine. I get similar effects from MSM and NAC which also contain sulfur. I’m going to keep taking it but in lower doses. I found this old post looking for information about taurine and changes in scent. I think I have some dna pathways that are causing the sulfur buildup. The first few days were kosher. It got bad after my 5th day.

Any thoughts?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals