Sweat Lodges.

paper_clips43

What do you think?

Can they be beneficial for the thyroid? Or end up damaging it?

Has Ray Peat mentioned this anywhere in his articles at all?

Hugh Johnson

paper_clips43 said:
What do you think?

Can they be beneficial for the thyroid? Or end up damaging it?

Has Ray Peat mentioned this anywhere in his articles at all?

I don't recall direct mentions, but in one of his interview he said something about increased body temperature being the thing that makes people feel better during and after exercise. From that perpective they could be beneficial. In his article TSH, temperature, pulse rate, and other indicators in hypothyroidism he mentioned potential, if minor benefits to raising body temperature in some people:

Slow reaction time is associated with slowed memory, perception, and other mental processes. Some of these nervous deficits can be remedied slightly just by raising the core temperature and providing suitable nutrients, but the active thyroid hormone, T3 is mainly responsible for maintaining the temperature, the nutrients, and the intracellular respiratory energy production.

In Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease he mentions that increasing body temperature improves quality of sleep.

Peat has in at least one interview mentioned that cold feet and other extremities produce poisons and release the into the bloodstream. Keeping extremeties warm is important in preventing this stressor. The importance of a high body temperature is one of the core findings of Peat's research.

Futhermore, most people find saunas and such very relaxing and they are featured in many traditional cultures, at least those in the north. Finnish culture still prominently features saunas ascribes to them healing funtions and almost a mythical meaning. Some others, such as swedes have partially lost the tradition with modenization, but used to have similar traditions.

I suspect that sweat lodges and saunas and the like can be useful in reducing and interrupting stress reactions since almost all of the chronic stressors, serotonin, estrogen etc. lower temperature and create a cycle of stress. Interruption of stress reactions seems integral to healing.

I've found saunas and natural hot springs so incredibly relaxing that I feel virtually stress free for days afterwards, sleep deeply, and have lower blood pressure.

pboy

a real sweat lodge would definitely be good...if it was an artificial room that used chemicals and a bunch of people sweating toxins and breathing the same air...no go

Curt :-)

I feel wicked after a sauna. Sleep like a baby too. Though it puts my blood sugar in the toilet if I don't carb up before and after.

BingDing

What pboy said! The worst ones have a heavily chlorinated pool nearby so you also get to breath some of that while you're there.