Survived late stage covid phneumonia

OP
bornamachine

bornamachine

@bornamachine, I’m so glad you are doing better! Thanks for getting the word out and sharing your story. @sugarbabe and @burtlancast are both correct. We have been using proning and percussion with postural drainage for various lung issues the entire 25 years I’ve been in the field.
Thank you. Well if it's comm common knowledge in the medical field then what are they doing!?

As far as aapirin, 2nd day not taking it, and I feel at almost ? with no wierd issues.

I suspect taking small amounts of aspirin compromised me as bad as that sounds, but it's the truth, I took small 40-70mg doses twice or tops 3 times a day and had benefits but a month later I noticed I couldn't breathe right sometimes like I ran out of air, around Thanksgiving especially, then a couple days after Thanksgiving I was running a fever 38, then 39, then 40 then 40.2 in a matter of 7 days.

I had a small suspicion of aspirin use.

yerrag

This is interesting.

I was having a hard time when I was having a persistent dry cough. The dry cough was interfering with my sleep. After many days of being in this situation, one night, on a whim, I put a cough drop in my mouth, then put myself in a prone position in the most inconvenient way where I had my nose planted on the pillow. The dry coughing stopped, and I quickly dozed off for the much needed uninterrupted sleep.

Having a cough drop in my mouth and planting my nose against the pillow just showed how desperate I was.

Now, can anyone explain why the prone position helped me as well?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you. Well if it's comm common knowledge in the medical field then what are they doing!?
Excellent question! That’s part of why I stopped working in hospitals. I can’t and won’t try to defend the medical system but this situation has brought to light how broken it truly is. Peat has covered it and I completely agree.
We proned whenever possible at the acute care hospital I was at when cvid first hit. It’s a fairly simple intervention that anyone can do with a little effort. It requires virtually no fancy equipment or drugs so that’s probably part of it.
Generally speaking it’s not a money maker so little attention is given to it. Additionally to be able to give people the best care you need adequate staffing which has always been a challenge but it’s more so now with so many people leaving the field. The harsh reality is that much of the workers time is spent triaging so for example if you get called to the ER and someone is coding another person who needs proned will probably have to wait. I suspect insurance reimbursement and corporate greed are involved in the staffing crisis and it certainly impacts care.
Most of us here appreciate and are willing to do the simple & basic things to help ourselves and others but not all people see things that way. It’s a mess, I’m sorry you had that experience but I’m glad God answered those prayers and someone helped you prone and you made it out alive.

Lizb

Excellent question! That’s part of why I stopped working in hospitals. I can’t and won’t try to defend the medical system but this situation has brought to light how broken it truly is. Peat has covered it and I completely agree.
We proned whenever possible at the acute care hospital I was at when cvid first hit. It’s a fairly simple intervention that anyone can do with a little effort. It requires virtually no fancy equipment or drugs so that’s probably part of it.
Generally speaking it’s not a money maker so little attention is given to it. Additionally to be able to give people the best care you need adequate staffing which has always been a challenge but it’s more so now with so many people leaving the field. The harsh reality is that much of the workers time is spent triaging so for example if you get called to the ER and someone is coding another person who needs proned will probably have to wait. I suspect insurance reimbursement and corporate greed are involved in the staffing crisis and it certainly impacts care.
Most of us here appreciate and are willing to do the simple & basic things to help ourselves and others but not all people see things that way. It’s a mess, I’m sorry you had that experience but I’m glad God answered those prayers and someone helped you prone and you made it out alive.
So proning isn't simply lying on your front? Can you clarify please?

Bluebell

Thank you for telling us this, @bornamachine, such useful knowledge.

Do you have any idea why you got COVID so badly, being only in your 30s and I'm guessing you look after your health well? Were you taking anything prophylactically, did you take anything to try and treat it before going to hospital?

Best wishes for your continued recovery.

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

It is, but it can be hard to nearly impossible to flip one's self over if really obese or old. Imagine how many people and how much effort it would take to safely flip over a 400-lb person in a teeny bed with tubes and stuff attached.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes, that’s proning. Sometimes we also do postural drainage positions as well. Sorry for the confusion.

OP
bornamachine

bornamachine

Someone said that for each patient that dies of "covid" the hospital gets 50-100k from the government emergency fund, I'm suspecting that's true.

There was no staffing issue on the floor, each nurse was assigned 2 patients, some nights they told they were "swamped" with the other patient and others they were pretty much there as soon as you press the call button

OP
bornamachine

bornamachine

I know you're not asking me but from my experience just being on your belly, draining starts and you can breathe, the angle doesn't really matter much because apparently you now took pressure off your dighram and your lungs can expand more

Lizb

I know you're not asking me but from my experience just being on your belly, draining starts and you can breathe, the angle doesn't really matter much because apparently you now took pressure off your dighram and your lungs can expand more
Much appreciated

OP
bornamachine

bornamachine

Thank you for telling us this, @bornamachine, such useful knowledge.

Do you have any idea why you got COVID so badly, being only in your 30s and I'm guessing you look after your health well? Were you taking anything prophylactically, did you take anything to try and treat it before going to hospital?

Best wishes for your continued recovery.
You're welcome, yeah simple knowledge that may have saved me an ICU stay had I known!

I'm relatively healthy, I don't take meds or supplements except aspirin and coffee.

I've been drinking 1 cup of coffee for a while now at work during break, the most I have is 2.

The one thing I added that has "helped me" is aspirin about 30-40 days prior to falling sick

I've been nibbling a small piece of aspirin off a 325mg pill twice or thrice a day with food, so I would get anywhere from 120-200mg a day.

It helped me feel more energetic and focused but also a side effect came where I was running out of air going up the stairs at work something that I never had before

Then at Thanksgiving I saw my 7yo nephew who was sick

My wife fell sick Mon and tue and i stayed home to babysit, she got better on Wednesday but that's when I started running a fever of about 38

My temp kept on climbing but I didn't have breathing issues I don't recall taking aspirin maybe I did idk

On the 3rd day I asked my wife to open the window and she opened it like halfway idk why and I slept with a wide open window and when I woke up i was like "oh no... That's not good" I know that sleeping with an open window while running a fever can be very bad, the room was cold, shortly after I started having breathing issue and on the 6th day I had bubbling noise coming out of my lungs when I would open my mouth

On the 6th day morning with a fever of about 39.5 I was ambulances to the ER, there they tested me with their BS rape swab PCR test and said I had covid, they said I need to be admitted (I was in a bad shape but could still walk) after 5 hours or so being tested wheeled around told to wait etc etc some doc made the call that I can go home and monitor myself (at the same time my lungs were literally bubbling like when you open a can of coke) so we went home, next day 7th day after Wednesday, my parents came over and I was in a bad shape, my temp was at 40.2, I barely dressed and my dad drove me to hospital with my wife, my mom babysat, they wheeled me in, said no rooms, but then almost instantly said a room is available and took me in, bypap right away because I was out of it like I was drugged or something

Thats it, then I get to the ICU 2 days later and stay "stable" as they UP my oxygen, on the 4th day this miracle nurse appears and tells me the trouble I'm in, they help me flip and almost 7 days in from admitting I'm discharged.

Sorry for the long story.

But to answer your question, yes, I did suspect that something cause this or propelled me into a weakend state, and that's aspirin, and I say that because during my recovery I had really hard nights of no sleep, tight chest, breathing off, wierd pains etc etc and I finally did an experiment next day, I stopped my aspiring and the issue went away and I felt like I almost recovered

Hopefully this trend continues

Unfortunately being "open minded" I tried some rose hips in my tea today and similar chest tightness appeared... :/

Coffee seemed to help with any issues probably due to magnesium content

I've also take some D3 candy form during this time and didn't seem to have any issues

Otherwise I don't take any supps or meds

Last edited:

InChristAlone

You're welcome, yeah simple knowledge that may have saved me an ICU stay had I known!

I'm relatively healthy, I don't take meds or supplements except aspirin and coffee.

I've been drinking 1 cup of coffee for a while now at work during break, the most I have is 2.

The one thing I added that has "helped me" is aspirin about 30-40 days prior to falling sick

I've been nibbling a small piece of aspirin off a 325mg pill twice or thrice a day with food, so I would get anywhere from 120-200mg a day.

It helped me feel more energetic and focused but also a side effect came where I was running out of air going up the stairs at work something that I never had before

Then at Thanksgiving I saw my 7yo nephew who was sick

My wife fell sick Mon and tue and i stayed home to babysit, she got better on Wednesday but that's when I started running a fever of about 38

My temp kept on climbing but I didn't have breathing issues I don't recall taking aspirin maybe I did idk

On the 3rd day I asked my wife to open the window and she opened it like halfway idk why and I slept with a wide open window and when I woke up i was like "oh no... That's not good" I know that sleeping with an open window while running a fever can be very bad, the room was cold, shortly after I started having breathing issue and on the 6th day I had bubbling noise coming out of my lungs when I would open my mouth

On the 6th day morning with a fever of about 39.5 I was ambulances to the ER, there they tested me with their BS rape swab PCR test and said I had covid, they said I need to be admitted (I was in a bad shape but could still walk) after 5 hours or so being tested wheeled around told to wait etc etc some doc made the call that I can go home and monitor myself (at the same time my lungs were literally bubbling like when you open a can of coke) so we went home, next day 7th day after Wednesday, my parents came over and I was in a bad shape, my temp was at 40.2, I barely dressed and my dad drove me to hospital with my wife, my mom babysat, they wheeled me in, said no rooms, but then almost instantly said a room is available and took me in, bypap right away because I was out of it like I was drugged or something

Thats it, then I get to the ICU 2 days later and stay "stable" as they UP my oxygen, on the 4th day this miracle nurse appears and tells me the trouble I'm in, they help me flip and almost 7 days in from admitting I'm discharged.

Sorry for the long story.

But to answer your question, yes, I did suspect that something cause this or propelled me into a weakend state, and that's aspirin, and I say that because during my recovery I had really hard nights of no sleep, tight chest, breathing off, wierd pains etc etc and I finally did an experiment next day, I stopped my aspiring and the issue went away and I felt like I almost recovered

Hopefully this trend continues

Unfortunately being "open minded" I tried some rose hips in my tea today and similar chest tightness appeared... :/

Coffee seemed to help with any issues probably due to magnesium content

I've also take some D3 candy form during this time and didn't seem to have any issues

Otherwise I don't take any supps or meds
Wow sounds like sleeping with the window opened caused the pneumonia. Old folk medical books say cold wind causes what we know as 'colds'. I think that's why we still call it that.

OP
bornamachine

bornamachine

what was your health like before you got covid?
By western definition I would say "good" worked 40 hours a week in the trades plus did renovations after work at home often, not always easy but I managed

OP
bornamachine

bornamachine

Wow sounds like sleeping with the window opened caused the pneumonia. Old folk medical books say cold wind causes what we know as 'colds'. I think that's why we still call it that.
I agree

PolishSun

Well, 2 times I spent hours with a person who was sick with covid, and I did not get it. I am unvaccinated. So peating affected my ability to get sick with covid or something else is going on. Also I had no symptoms of flu. I know few more people who were trying to get covid from there family member, but they did not succeed.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It is, but it can be hard to nearly impossible to flip one's self over if really obese or old. Imagine how many people and how much effort it would take to safely flip over a 400-lb person in a teeny bed with tubes and stuff attached.
So, so true…
Another reason I think the attitude is so extreme right now toward low spo2 is the fear of the potential for anoxic injury or death in these people. This current situation would be a great time to start seriously investing if carbogen could help.

Perry Staltic

So, so true…
Another reason I think the attitude is so extreme right now toward low spo2 is the fear of the potential for anoxic injury or death in these people. This current situation would be a great time to start seriously investing if carbogen could help.

Would be great for patients. Also APRV ventilation. Some doctors have had amazing results with it