Survival Of The Smartest [schwarzbein Vs. Peat]

PeatThemAll

This woman takes Ray Peat concepts to the *practical* level. I will be frank that the Ray Peat community is very flawed in its approach to healing or using Ray Peat's information to treat problems. Ray Peat's approach is also often very flawed as evidenced in the many e-mail correspondences that people have collected. I wrote a post ("Our First Love") a while back that was met with a lot of criticism and condescension, and am happy to see that my absence of scientific studies or sounding science-y is being supported by this super science-y person. "I don't have a study, i have the science." - Dr Diana Schwarzbein

Interesting perspective. I like the more pragmatic, gut-level style. Thanks for posting this.

DaveFoster

thanks for asking. from the way i perceive things, "nutritious food" is not the way you heal/normalize/stabilize metabolism. as far as regarding the "ground up" direction. Schwarzbein recognizes that the "ground up" approach is meeting the demands of a particular body's context. This is at least ten different variables, including variables within diet. It really is a kind of science working from the ground up. I said that lowering any stress hormone is not treating the cause because that stress hormone didn't raise out of thin air. A serotonin imbalance is not from a Cyproheptadine deficiency and probably not a Lysine deficiency. It is biochemically incorrect to describe hormones as being high or low....the only biochemically accurate way of viewing hormones is in balance or out of balance. Metabolism is a balancing machine. A serotonin or cortisol problem (as an example) is almost always related to an imbalance of the entire organism. As you know nothing happens in a vacuum. When you accidentally hammer your thumb it really does affect your ear (i'm not that great with analogies). So yes, energy deficit is one variable or cause that one may have to address in balancing the entire organism. When the body is viewed as a giant organism, systems within systems - everything intimately connected via hormones, etc. then you can build up the entire body. When you build up the entire body, you build up every system. When you build up the entire body, you indirectly provide the environment for hormones to balance. You don't have to really monitor hormones or systems.

Using uncouplers, etc. is not a "bad" thing, it's just not usually an approach that is in tandem with a biochemically accurate perspective on the way the body works. It's a complex topic. From my perspective, when i get sucked into the world of manipulating bodily function via various substances is when i get sucked away into forgetting the way the body works. I term this in a post from a while back as leaving our first love. Whenever i lose track of the way the body works, i inevitably begin enduring confusion about my body and an anxiety of control. I lose the inherent peace that exists in true biochemistry. When i've left my first love, i begin to think that i know what's wrong with me on a deep level, i pretend that i can tell i'm low in this or that (sometimes accurately, sure). *For me* the supplemental route never ends pretty. It never brings me closer to the truth. Further, and probably the biggest, when i start using various supplements/etc. i become a scientist....i *have* to become a scientist, or pretend to be one, to juggle all of the supplements. When i focus, instead, on the way the body works i feel i learn the most (ironically)....i have a deep-seated confidence about the process (which is really an acceptance that our bodies were designed to support us and do a lot of the work on its own that we think we have to do for it.)

it's a topic that's very complex and could go on much longer, but i will leave it there for now and for what it's worth.
I missed your response; I agree that it's complex, but it's very easy to dismiss any kind of aid because of the lack of comprehensive understanding of the body.

I don't know the withertos of everything I take, but I know they have a myriad of positive effects, and when I take them all paired with nutrient dense food, I feel great; at least, I feel much better than just eating the nutrient dense food, addressing the social lack, etc.

PeatThemAll

"Avoid all fruit juices and milk . No caffein. Nuts and seeds are healthy."
I thought she has something to do with peat?

Sounds like you didn't watch the 2-hour long presentation. She's got the endocrinologist POV: systems view. Many parallels with Peat. Also some differences, especially the diabetic/NO explanation.

Ahanu

Many parallels with Peat. Also some differences, especially the diabetic/NO explanation.
Sorry, but milk and orange juice is not just some differences

Ahanu

Sounds like you didn't watch the 2-hour long presentation. She's got the endocrinologist POV: systems view. Many parallels with Peat. Also some differences, especially the diabetic/NO explanation.
i will watch it. but after this pdf i was a little discouraged..

PeatThemAll

Sorry, but milk and orange juice is not just some differences

Looking at it from a bottom-up point of view, I could agree.
But from a top-down perspective, what happens if you can't tolerate either milk or OJ? The rest of the support systems will still help you, you just have to put an X on that part. If it triggers a real, non-adaptable-to negative reaction in your system, you're better off not adding said food (stressor) and work around it to meet your goals.
So in the end, you have to find out what works for you.

taesch

I heard her name listening to Scott Abel. I watched all I could find of her on youtube but that's it as her website is fantastically out of date (media plays on RealPlayer). She trumpeted a few of Ray Peat's contentions like the importance of Bio-identical progesterone over synthetic versions. While there were red flags for me, she was worth hearing out. I took away some fresh reasons to avoid fasting and a better sense of the primacy of the role of insulin.
She seemed to enjoy the seminar format, perhaps too much, and echoed the manipulative speaking style of Jack Kruse. Basically, it sounded like a sales pitch. Another red flag that was that it seemed like she diagnoses adrenal fatigue which I am skeptical of.

taesch

Tellingly, she claimed to have the science whereas her critics had studies but then went on to say that she wrote two health books explaining her principal before finally having the science to validate her principal which becomes the theme of her third book. We should be cautious of people claiming to have an all encompassing and solitary view of 'the science'. It reminds me of seeing a clip of Michael Levin showing how the science is so complex, A.I. has a better chance to sort it out.

Dave Clark

Looking at her website, it seems like she is an advocate of administering estradiol (estrogen). Doesn't sound Peaty to me.

Yeah. And some people might do them all and then say Peating didn't work for them.

Interesting. Some people seem to have much improved their sugar handling in a much shorter time - I guess it depends on how much damage there is, and how well one supports recovery.
+1

GreekDemiGod

I watched that part 1 recording and found it interesting. She is an endocrinologist, says Insulin is the builder/ anti-aging hormone. Claims adrenaline, cortisol, norepinephrine are destroyers. Pretty much in line with Peat so far.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals