Surgery Stress Causes Memory Loss And Dementia

haidut

Forum Supporter
This has been known for quite some time, but the official position has been that it only happens in compromised patients (i.e. elderly, neurologically deficient, infected, etc). RP has written about how the body perceives surgery as major stress and how even healthy people have mental fog for years after even a simple surgery without the need for much sedation.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/healt ... zr6vq.html

narouz

Yeah.
I even wonder if the body might perceive a blood donation
sort of like surgery,
in that it is pretty invasive and dramatic
when you think about it.
Easily a good method of killing someone
if it were designed for that.
(Sorry to be so dark! :eek: )

Blossom

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
Yeah.
I even wonder if the body might perceive a blood donation
sort of like surgery,
in that it is pretty invasive and dramatic
when you think about it.
Easily a good method of killing someone
if it were designed for that.
(Sorry to be so dark! :eek: )
I've wondered that too. Interesting.....
I suppose it depends on how much stress it induces as to whether the benefit out weighs the stress of the donation process. How much iron one wants to get rid of is another factor obviously. I know people who pass out cold at the sight of needles. People like that would probably fare better limiting iron consumption. Thought provoking topic

SQu

I'm glad to see this, always suspected it, and blood donation too. For me the stress it puts my body in is crazy. On a lesser scale, dentists, but seems that might be the adrenaline in the anaesthetic(why would they do that?)
In terms of timing though did you see how the article mentioned the promising new experimental drug that might help? ;)
Narouz talking about dark did you ever read a book called almanac of the dead?by Leslie Marmon Silko I.think. Brrrrr.

jyb

Blood donation? You don't even have to look at the needle and the nurse chats about your day and the weather. Environment is nowhere as stressful as a surgery room.

Peata

My blood donation last fall was a huge stressor, no doubt about it. In fact, reading this thread before bed caused me to have a nightmare last night that I was once again on the table - giving blood. It felt like it was taking forever, and when I looked down, they were only halfway done. I knew it was too much and that I might not "make it" this time. I raised up and told them that was it, I had to stop, and ripped out the needle.

I think my body saw that donation as a brush with death, no kidding. Afterward, I was weaker than a 100 year old person, wiped out, sick, chilled, had trouble finding words, panic attacked and on and on. And it went on for at least a few days. Even thinking about it will sometimes start to bring on a panic attack.

Not to scare anyone - if you can donate that's great. Not for me, is all.

J

j.

I think when you're healthy, the impression aspect -not the health aspect of having your blood removed- is nothing, at least to me.

LucyL

sueq said:
On a lesser scale, dentists, but seems that might be the adrenaline in the anaesthetic(why would they do that?)

For real? Do you have a source for that? It would certainly explain the reactions I experience in the dentist chair.

narouz

Actually, and just speaking for myself,
I tend to think blood donation helps me.

But there's a mystery about it for me.
I've had high iron
(well, high ferritin) at times.
So for a while I donated as often as possible.
I used to be very squeamish about needles,
and still am a bit,
but I've gotten so it doesn't freak me out too much now,
especially if the blood-takers are skilled.

But the mystery:
whenever I donate,
I have to stop my thyroid supplement just about entirely
for about 3 days
because my pulse and temperature come up and stay up,
and the thyroid is too much.
And I take a pretty big dose of thyroid.

As I say, my tendency is to think this is a healthy reaction,
even though I can't explain why it works.
Hard to believe the off-loading of iron would cause such an instantaneous reaction,
but...I guess it's possible.

On the other hand it did occur to me
that my temps/pulse could be going up as a stress reaction....

narouz

sueq said:
I'm glad to see this, always suspected it, and blood donation too. For me the stress it puts my body in is crazy. On a lesser scale, dentists, but seems that might be the adrenaline in the anaesthetic(why would they do that?)
In terms of timing though did you see how the article mentioned the promising new experimental drug that might help? ;)
Narouz talking about dark did you ever read a book called almanac of the dead?by Leslie Marmon Silko I.think. Brrrrr.

No, I hadn't heard of that.
I'll check it out.
I once nearly destroyed this entire forum with my darkness
and I didn't even know I was dark. :shock:
I banned myself for about a year to save this place. :P

SQu

it is dark beyond belief. Another thing, worse because non fiction (fiction's true too but you know what I mean) is the notes and references to back up Noam Chomsky 's book Understanding Power, which are on a website, not in the book.
Sorry Charlie I'll get back on topic now!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is that any kind of surgery can cause stress?

The one with general anesthesia is what is most commonly studied and the most dangerous one. Keep in mind that you are in a coma while they operate on you. Not many people realize that fact and the medical community keeps calling it "putting you to sleep" on purpose. No, it is coma, plain and simple. So, stressful for the brain and the entire organism.
Local anesthesia surgery like C-section and knee surgery is probably less traumatic but still raises cortisol, adrenaline, and prolactin quite a bit even if you wan't feel anything. So, thyroid function is very important in any surgical intervention.

Maretch

The one with general anesthesia is what is most commonly studied and the most dangerous one. Keep in mind that you are in a coma while they operate on you. Not many people realize that fact and the medical community keeps calling it "putting you to sleep" on purpose. No, it is coma, plain and simple. So, stressful for the brain and the entire organism.
Local anesthesia surgery like C-section and knee surgery is probably less traumatic but still raises cortisol, adrenaline, and prolactin quite a bit even if you wan't feel anything. So, thyroid function is very important in any surgical intervention.
Thanks for the info, but i really can't understand what really cause stress? Is that the drugs, medicines (such as anesthesia that they use)?
It's like using a drug that can provoke some side effects? Did I get it right?

Tarmander

Thanks for the info, but i really can't understand what really cause stress? Is that the drugs, medicines (such as anesthesia that they use)?
It's like using a drug that can provoke some side effects? Did I get it right?

They take a knife and cut into your skin. Getting stabbed is stressful.