Supplements to prevent melanoma and skin cancer?

faxmulder

Hi guys,

is there any supplement that, according to research, could help in preventing melanoma and skin cancer?

I've seen that astaxanthin is sometimes advised, but I know that it has anti-androgen side effects.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mito

-Luke-

Just a thought, but shouldn't vitamin E help in theory (both orally and topically)?

OP
F

faxmulder

Thanks man!

OP
F

faxmulder

Thanks man
Just a thought, but shouldn't vitamin E help in theory (both orally and topically)?
Yeah I think so - the issue with vit E is that according to some studies it could theoretically increase the risk of prostate cancer. IIRC there was a discussion on this forum about this topic.

OccamzRazer

Maybe not the type of supplements you were looking for, but:

- Red light (particularly AM red light)
- Coffee (including topical coffee)
- Natural sunscreen

Also, anything that prevents lipofuscin formation probably also prevents future skin cancer.

Dave Clark

IP-6 has a good track record of preventing and treating cancer: Cancer inhibition by inositol hexaphosphate (IP6) and inositol: from laboratory to clinic - PubMed

Dave Clark

You would expect sesame to not be good since it is 82% PUFA, but it looks like the compound sesamin which is extracted from sesame doesn't have that problem, and also according to this link, does not have estrogenic properties. Sesamin Research Breakdown
Sesamin looks good on this article, but if there is more to know about it that is not good, please post.
Life Extension has used sesamin in their formulas for years, but then again, they promote fish oils, so I don't take everything they support as being good.

frannybananny

Hi guys,

is there any supplement that, according to research, could help in preventing melanoma and skin cancer?

I've seen that astaxanthin is sometimes advised, but I know that it has anti-androgen side effects.

Any ideas?

Thanks
There is a new supplement out which was even recommended by my Derm....it's called Heliocare and it's made from Ferns.... I use the Heliocare that has added Nicotinamide in it (B3) which is a form of Niacin. It is supposed to help prevent skin cancer and I have dealt with that all my life due to Irish heritage.... I noticed a change in my skin within 2 weeks (smoother and AKs flattening out) and Derm said it will help the skin to NOT BURN in the sun from the inside out... I also take ValAsta, the patented form of Astaxanthin, the most potent antioxident that $$ can buy. Good Luck.